IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

1 hour ago, Spacehound said:

"Arrogant and pompous ass like you" - sandyk about Spacehound.

"So he claims. AFAIK he has never been known to make anything"  - Spacehound about The Colloms.

That's not an insult at all, it's just taking the piss. He's a ****ing Pom too :P 

And there's not much about him on the  'net except his own claims.

Has he made anything? Or just wrote a book? "Consultant"?  What on? It's not a qualification.

I was asked how to catch a trout once. Does that make me one? If so, bow down and kiss my ass.

Anyway, I thought you didn't like EE's?  You're always rabbiting on about how useless thy are. You even called me one,, and you meant it as an insult :D:D:D  

I would suggest that you should have done more research before jumping to your previous conclusions. He was also the editor of U.K. magazines such as HiFi News and Record Review at one stage, when it also published quite a bit of technical content and Audio Projects from authors such as Ben Duncan,(High Performance Audio Power Amplifiers for music perfomance and reproduction) 

I don't have a problem with Pommies in general, ( unless they don't use SprayFresh in summer) as I have a couple of good online friends from a  U.K. Audio Forum  , one of whom is a Virgin pilot, and several of us have had some very enjoyable GTGs with him when  Virgin was flying to Au.(Jon drinks his beer cold too !)

I don't have a problem with E.E.s in general either ,only those that believe that Subjective reports are a complete waste of time, as everything needing to be known, is already known.

I actually have 2 qualified E.E. friends who I first met when they started their working lives at a Jaycar Electronics store in Sydney before going to Uni. One of these E.E.s has also participated in several of our GTGs.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

47 minutes ago, Fokus said:

A bit off topic, but while MC has a bit of an ego, the man also has some achievements. He co-founded Monitor Audio, later had Colloms Electroacoustics, a consultancy company active in design and forensics, IIRC. MC was responsible for a number of speaker and amp designs in the 80s and 90s, including Celestion and Aura. These are just the things I happen to know, as a relative outsider.

Why Spacehound’s untempered vitriol towards these British audio personalities? Is he the Angry Old Man of the UK hifi scene?

Not in the  least,

I was 'taking the piss' out of sandyk's  constant habit of dragging in Colloms opinion only once expressed and only on one subject  as  strong evidence that most of sandyk's ideas are correct.

Colloms once 'passed'  a supposedly  'blind' test  of sandyk's  ludicrous  claim  that  WAV files are degraded by electronic transportation (wires). This turned Colloms into a 'god', if an unwitting one. 

And Colloms maybe unintentional claim  to be  an 'Expert Witness' on everything is good for  a laugh.

Neither did I invent the term "The Colloms" - it was someone else on this site (but I think it's great).

What British hifi industry?  At a quick 'offhand' look there is   only Arcam (partly), Linn, and Sugden.

I personally wrote off Linn years ago as their well-known turntable is an exact copy of somebody else's,  resulting in a court case that neither side could  afford to fully pursue.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here's the deal, several people around here may agree with you, but that doesn't make it OK to personally attack the spacehound. 

This is your warning. 

Please warn spacehound too...he has done it numerous times and been here only a very short time. and I have yet to have seen him be warned...IMHO, spaceman is one of the most arrogant people on this site, and he even admitted himself in one of his posts that he called himself  a jackass....he deserves anything he gets to help put him in his place.  I don't even mind people that are arrogant when they don't do it specifically to demean others, but he is one of the lowest forms of life.  It is people like him that is the only reason i wish you would consider a point system...there are probably only about 3 or 4 people i would put in the same league as spaceman, where 90% of what they post is of trolling smart ass nature, and those 3 don't even include GUTB.

26 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I would suggest that you should have done more research before jumping to your previous conclusions. He was also the editor of U.K. magazines such as HiFi News and Record Review at one stage, when it also published quite a bit of technical content and Audio Projects from authors such as Ben Duncan,(High Performance Audio Power Amplifiers for music perfomance and reproduction) 

I don't have a problem with Pommies in general, ( unless they don't use SprayFresh in summer) as I have a couple of good online friends from a  U.K. Audio Forum  , one of whom is a Virgin pilot, and several of us have had some very enjoyable GTGs with him when  Virgin was flying to Au.(Jon drinks his beer cold too !)

I don't have a problem with E.E.s in general either ,only those that believe that Subjective reports are a complete waste of time, as everything needing to be known, is already known.

I actually have 2 qualified E.E. friends who I first met when they started their working lives at a Jaycar Electronics store in Sydney before going to Uni. One of these E.E.s has also participated in several of our GTGs.

He writes  for magazines for money. So what? I used to  write for 'Orchid Review',   a non-profit orchid magazine run by the 'British Orchid Society'  and the largest orchid magazine in Europe. It's no big deal.

What a shame for the pilot. I'm one too,  and have sex at (rare) intervals. Does being a pilot make him a noted audio 'expert' or is it just one of your many  'appeals to authority'?

From your posts you appear to throw insults at every EE who disagrees with you. Mansr is a recent example.

Subjective reports? Unless they are repeatable by everyone who tries the same   They are totally worthless.

6 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

From your posts you appear to throw insults at every EE who disagrees with you. Mansr is a recent example.

The two of them have a long history on the site; we don't want to go there again. Right guys?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

45 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

What British hifi industry?  At a quick 'offhand' look there is   only Arcam (partly), Linn, and Sugden.

I personally wrote off Linn years ago as their well-known turntable is an exact copy of somebody else's,  resulting in a court case that neither side could  afford to fully pursue

You  have right to dislike or even despise British HiFi industry but as you said the case did not go to trial and there is no judgment from the Court ruling who is right and who is wrong, what evidence do you have to support your accusation of Linn Sondek 12 was copied from others and not the other way round?

MetalNuts

9 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

uPlease warn spacehound too...he has done it numerous times and been here only a very short time. and I have yet to have seen him be warned...IMHO, spaceman is one of the most arrogant people on this site, and he even admitted himself in one of his posts that he called himself  a jackass....he deserves anything he gets to help put him in his place.  I don't even mind people that are arrogant when they don't do it specifically to demean others, but he is one of the lowest forms of life.  It is people like him that is the only reason i wish you would consider a point system...there are probably only about 3 or 4 people i would put in the same league as spaceman, where 90% of what they post is of trolling smart ass nature, and those 3 don't even include GUTB.

I just accept known physics is all.  Even that part of physics  known to  others but not to myself.

You have demonstrated that you only accept your 'beliefs and have on occasions actually admitted ("I don't want to know that")  that you are wilfully ignorant.

Thus only the very staunch remain 'on topic' in this thread. The others have long left.

10 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

I just accept known physics is all.  Even that part of physics  known to  others but not to myself.

You have demonstrated that you only accept your 'beliefs and have on occasions actually admitted ("I don't want to know that")  that you are wilfully ignorant.

Thus only the very staunch remain 'on topic' in this thread. The others have long left.

There is nothing wrong to have different beliefs based on any reason or set of reasons.

The problem is when one demeans others purposely in a hurtful way, or to make personal attacks, or even stupid ass troll statements....those should never be acceptable or tolerated behavior.

2 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

You  have right to dislike or even despise British HiFi industry but as you said the case did not go to trial and there is no judgment from the Court ruling who is right and who is wrong, what evidence do you have to support your accusation of Linn Sondek 12 was copied from others and not the other way round?

I don't dislike  it, I just laugh at some of the 'British' claims.

I forgot both Tannoy  and dCS as being genuinely British - I paid 15,000 dollars UK equivalent for a pair of 'Kensingtons'  and have the 23,000 dollar dCS Rossini too, so I can hardly be described as 'despising' the British audio industry.

Linn? The other one was in production for several years before the Sondek appeared and  Linn Audio did not exist until they made 'their'  Sondek turntable. That's my evidence on your "the other way around"  point.

So the first two of your 'issues' with my post are nonsense. Thus  they all are (see below for the third).

Ivor  Tiefenbrun's father ran an engineering company that built some parts of the other one on contract,   had full access to  both the actual turntable  and all its drawings. It was Linn's first product and the only one for some time. 

It's all on record, much of it in the British 'Hifi News and Record Review'.

Whether the earth is flat or  approximately spherical hasn't gone to court either.

12 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

I don't dislike  it, I just laugh at some of the 'British' claims.

I forgot both Tannoy  and dCS as being genuinely British - I paid 15,000 dollars UK equivalent for a pair of 'Kensingtons'  and have the 23,000 dollar dCS Rossini too, so I can hardly be described as 'despising' the British audio industry.

Linn? The other one was in production for several years before the Sondek appeared and  Linn Audio did not exist until they made 'their'  Sondek turntable. That's my evidence on your "the other way around"  point.

So the first two of your 'issues' with my post are nonsense. Thus  they all are (see below for the third).

Ivor  Tiefenbrun's father ran an engineering company that built some parts of the other one on contract,   had full access to  both the actual turntable  and all its drawings. It was Linn's first product and the only one for some time. 

It's all on record, much of it in the British 'Hifi News and Record Review'.

Whether the earth is flat or  approximately spherical hasn't gone to court either.

From what you wrote does not further your case.  In our clivilzed world, the earlier existence of a similar product/item does not give it automatic rights to trademark, the patent, the copyright.  So what you said is nothing but your ignorance of the law but purely based on your subjective and biased opinion on the similar appearance of two items that the one appeared earlier in the market must be the one being copied (with disregard to the technical aspect inside).  More facts are needed to consider but apparently you are not providing any but your own assumption on the irrelevant fact.

MetalNuts

30 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

There is nothing wrong to have different beliefs based on any reason or set of reasons.

The problem is when one demeans others purposely in a hurtful way, or to make personal attacks, or even stupid ass troll statements....those should never be acceptable or tolerated behavior.

You don't need to have any 'reasons' whatsoever for your 'beliefs'. Beliefs don't need  reasons, being merely opinions.

They aren't 'true' or false' either. One way they become 'facts' all by themselves, the other way they don't even qualify as 'wrong' because they remain opinions.

I do attempt to be factual, Got nothing to to with 'smart ass'. In fact I'm only still on this thread, even though most others have escaped,  because 'philosophy' is far more  interesting than sample rates :)

9 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

From what you wrote does not further your case.  In our clivilzed world, the earlier existence of a similar product/item does not give it automatic rights to trademark, the patent, the copyright.  So what you said is nothing but your ignorance of the law but purely based on your subjective and biased opinion on the similar appearance of two items that the one appeared earlier in the market must be the one being copied (with disregard to the technical aspect inside).  More facts are needed to consider but apparently you are not providing any but your own assumption on the irrelevant fact.

It's not "my" case, and I see you have changed your tune, it's got FA to do with law, patents, etc.  even if you try and make it so.

Think whatever you want. I'm just stating what happened. It doesn't need 'thinking about'.

9 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

It's not "my" case.

Think whatever you want. I'm just stating what happened.

I am not a fan of Linn but I am interested in the case you mentioned and I am not saying that Linn or the other did not infringe.  But you have not presented it with the necessary facts and you made yourself liable to be sued by Linn for defamation since there is no judgment. 

I have tried to locate the case but so far not successful so I cannot even said whether the other party has withdrawn/discontinued the case or the parties just left it without further proceedings.

MetalNuts

7 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Again, i have no issues with beliefs (factual or not)...what i have a problem with is demeaning personal attacks or idiotic troll posts..

7 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Again, i have no issues with beliefs (factual or not)...what i have a problem with is demeaning personal attacks or idiotic troll posts..

I noticed you have no problem with beliefs. I will ignore your "when all else fails...."  insults.

19 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

That's two insults you just made.

and that is a stupid troll post..

You are the one that said yourself that many think you are a jackass.  This is exactly why.

Don't you think it is time you grow up, so you don't have to call yourself a jackass.Maybe you have some valuable knowledge to share that you can be respected for if you made a conscious effort not to be disrespectful and hurtful to others..

Look at miska or judd or many others here that have a lot of information to share.  They share in a meaningful and helpful way and are respected.  They won't get caught up with the idiots...they know when to move on. 

I do think you have some knowledge and you can learn to be an asset to this site, without your admittance that others say you are a jackass....try to put your self proclaimed jackass behind you...

..the choice is yours...

25 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

I am not a fan of Linn but I am interested in the case you mentioned and I am not saying that Linn or the other did not infringe.  But you have not presented it with the necessary facts and you made yourself liable to be sued by Linn for defamation since there is no judgment. 

I have tried to locate the case but so far not successful so I cannot even said whether the other party has withdrawn/discontinued the case or the parties just left it without further proceedings.

I see you hve moved the goalposts  from "Who copied who?" to law, patents, and other irrelevant stuff.

BTW: As lawyers only purpose is to overcomplicate stuff so they can make money out of it,  King Henry VIII got fed up with them messing with his laws so made them wear silly clothes so people would not take them seriously.

And it still works after 500 years. Only politicians and real estate people are lower than lawyers  on the UK 'social scale'.

33 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

It's not "my" case, and I see you have changed your tune, it's got FA to do with law, patents, etc.  even if you try and make it so.

Think whatever you want. I'm just stating what happened. It doesn't need 'thinking about'.

The following quote is what I found on Wiki and if which accurately stated, you have wrongly and without evidence to accuse Linn infringed and in fact Linn has the patent it is the other who opposed the patent in concern so that they could produce a similar turntable as Linn. 

Who is earlier?  From the article, it is Linn's Castle Precision.  So what could I say and what could you say.  You have been wrong from the beginning on the Linn's case.  Please support yourself with evidence and not assumption!

"At the time, the design was identical to the Ariston RD11[6] and similar to the Thorens TD150, both in turn based on the Acoustic Research XA turntable that was launched in 1961.[7] The XA was created by renowned audio pioneer Edgar Villchur.[8] The three-point "suspended sub-chassis" of the XA, using a compression spring system, was much improved upon and popularised in the LP12.[8]

The similarities between the LP12 and the Ariston RD11 resulted in a patent case: Ariston vs. Linn, or more correctly, Fergus Fons Ltd, Hamish Robertson vs. Ivor Tiefenbrun. In 1972, the late Jack Yan Tiefenbrun filed a pair of provisional patent specifications for a simple point-contact bearing, and followed them up in June 1973 with a complete specification claiming 'improvements in, or relating to, gramophone record playing apparatus'. The application was accepted by the British Patent Office and published as BP1394611. In May 1975, following the publication of the Tiefenbrun patent, an opposition was lodged by turntable manufacturer Fergus Fons Ltd and the late William James Hamish Robertson. The patent was opposed on various grounds, including that 'what was being claimed as new, was in fact old', and that the idea was 'lacking in inventive step' over what was already known. Further grounds of opposition were that the invention had been 'obtained' from Hamish Robertson, and was his original idea rather than that of Jack Tiefenbrun. Jack Tiefenbrun had formed Castle Precision Engineering (Glasgow) Ltd some 15 years earlier. Hamish Robertson had a company called Thermac in 1967, which became Ariston in 1970, and Ariston Audio in 1973. In 1970 Jack's son Ivor formed a friendship with Hamish. In 1971 Ivor made a prototype turntable with a ball bearing, and then went to Israel. While Ivor was away, Jack and Hamish changed the ball bearing to a single point bearing. Robertson's company Thermac then ordered forty of the turntables from Castle Precision Engineering Ltd. In 1971, and now operating as Ariston, Hamish showed the turntable under the model name RD11 at the Harrogate show, and set up a distribution network with C. J. Walker and Company. By the end of 1972 relations between Robertson and the Tiefenbruns had broken down. This allegedly led to a threat to Robertson that a copyright action would be brought against him if he had the RD11 turntable made elsewhere than at Castle Precision Engineering. In February 1973 Linn Products Ltd was formed to sell turntables made by Castle Precision Engineering. Robertson left Ariston, which by now had been taken over by Dunlop Westayr Ltd, and became director Fergus Fons Ltd. In the end The Robertsons’ opposition to the Tiefenbrun patent was rejected."

MetalNuts

18 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

and that is a stupid troll post..

You are the one that said yourself that many think you are a jackass.  This is exactly why.

Don't you think it is time you grow up, so you don't have to call yourself a jackass.Maybe you have some valuable knowledge to share that you can be respected for if you made a conscious effort not to be disrespectful and hurtful to others..

Look at miska or judd or many others here that have a lot of information to share.  They share in a meaningful and helpful way and are respected.  They won't get caught up with the idiots...they know when to move on. 

I am willing to take you head on, because I do think you have some knowledge and you can learn to be an asset to this site, without your admittance that others say you are a jackass.

..the choice is yours...

"Only wise people can  afford to play the fool now and again" - Einstein.

And you won't see me doing it with people I  "believe" to be wise.

9 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

I see you hve moved the goalposts  from "Who copied who?" to law, patents, and other irrelevant stuff.

BTW: As lawyers only purpose is to overcomplicate stuff so they can make money out of it,  King Henry VIII got fed up with them messing with his laws so made them wear silly clothes so people would not take them seriously.

And it still works after 500 years. Only politicians and real estate people are lower than lawyers  on the UK 'social scale'.

Any profession is better than a liar who tries to deceive others.  Right?

MetalNuts

10 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

It is not what we say who infringed or who copy.  We have a judicial system in place and we have to trust and rely on it.  I am just a normal citizen in a civilized place so I have to abide by law and trust the law in deciding who is right and who is wrong.  The conclusion is Linn has the patent and it is the other who infringed.  You have tried to deceived others the other way round.

MetalNuts

17 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

Any profession is better than a liar who tries to deceive others.  Right?

That's for sure. But I don't consider myself to be in in a profession, I'm just an oily handed 'big' computer developer.

I don't think people other than criminals  'deceive' deliberately.

But a lot know less than they think they do, like a bad 'Do it yourselfer'. I just try to stick to my knitting  and  have  now knitted for 40 years except for a short break. Which only exists because I was called back, which may look like a bigger deal than it actually is.