IGNORED

Metrum Onyx/Jade vs P S Audio Directstream

18 hours ago, jadedavid said:

I am looking into a new DAC and want to try one with built in volume control. These two are at the top of my watch list.

Looking for comments and particularly comparisons from anyone who has heard both of them.

Same here: I‘d be very interested to see a comparison between Metrum Acoustic‘s Jade and the DirectStream Junior (I guess it has volume control built in).

There‘s a thread here in the forum about the Jade. Seems to be quite the rave these days.

i would give the jade a try

volume control of the jade is lossless and if it has the same sound signature as my Adagio it might be a very good Dac/Pre for the money

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

On 17/02/2018 at 12:46 AM, jadedavid said:

I am looking into a new DAC and want to try one with built in volume control. These two are at the top of my watch list.

Looking for comments and particularly comparisons from anyone who has heard both of them.

Hi, do you mean a DAC with digital volume control? Or remote control? Or both?

1 hour ago, eintom said:

volume control of the jade is lossless and if it has the same sound signature as my Adagio it might be a very good Dac/Pre for the money

I wish the Jade could be used as pre-amp. But alas it has not analogue inputs.

There are so many DACS out there with a volume control, but so few that also have at least one pair of analog inputs.

[br]

then better a Dac without volume control and a seperate Pre (Shiit Freya or so)

i had a mytek192 Dac with analog input, but i did not found that input very good in soundquality.

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Grado GH-1 Headphone

4 hours ago, eintom said:

That's exactly what I thought! My strategy is to free my pre-amp and connect the DAC directly to my power amp. On paper it looks like a very neat solution!

Do you think it'll have the same sound signature as the Adagio? I would presume, as the ladders used are identical to the Adagio, albeit less modules (two per channel as opposed to four, right?).

2 hours ago, eintom said:

then better a Dac without volume control and a seperate Pre (Shiit Freya or so)

i had a mytek192 Dac with analog input, but i did not found that input very good in soundquality.

I keep hearing mixed things about the Mytek. Some say it's very good, others are less excited about it.

the mytek sounded realy good (esspecially for the price), just the analog input was not so good (for me and my omtec turntable pre)

but the adagio is another world in natural sounding, it is better than my auralic vega too (i had before the adagio and could compare them)

jade is "half an Adagio", so the chance of good sound may be there ;-)

my Adagio is directly connected to ATC active speakers per XLR. Wonderfull rich sound!

I had an Auralic Taurus Pre before with the Vega and testet it with the Adagio too. Sound with the Adagio used as Pre directly was better than with an extra Pre. Keep it simple i thought ;)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Grado GH-1 Headphone

9 minutes ago, eintom said:

the mytek sounded realy good (esspecially for the price), just the analog input was not so good (for me and my omtec turntable pre)

but the adagio is another world in natural sounding, it is better than my auralic vega too (i had before the adagio and could compare them)

jade is "half an Adagio", so the chance of good sound may be there ;-)

my Adagio is directly connected to ATC active speakers per XLR. Wonderfull rich sound!

I had an Auralic Taurus Pre before with the Vega and testet it with the Adagio too. Sound with the Adagio used as Pre directly was better than with an extra Pre. Keep it simple i thought ;)

I am a big fan of ATC's, although I have passive ATC SCM11s. Wonderful speakers that I soon upgrade to the SCM40s!

Now the Adagio also looks like a viable option, even though it is a bit on the pricier side :-((

i use ATC SCM45a (Studio Monitors) with the Adagio (for hifi, that works brilliant ;-) )

a friend has an Adagio too and bought ATC SCM40 active two weeks ago. If you can pay them take the active SCM40 and sell your Amps! ;-)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Grado GH-1 Headphone

I personally, like a few others, am looking to take the preamp out of the chain. 

A friend has the Jade and is using it as a pre/dac and finds it a very good piece. From his memory it has a similar signature to his previously owned Pavane

However he is in MI and (being a snow bird) I am in FL until mid April. So I can not get to hear it until then.

I have heard the P.S. DS in a familiar system (os just prior to redbird) and liked what it brought to the table.  He was still using his preamp though. So unable to judge it as a pre/dac.

I have tried passive preamps in the past and found them a bit lacking. 

Trying to get the best of both worlds.

1 hour ago, eintom said:

i use ATC SCM45a (Studio Monitors) with the Adagio (for hifi, that works brilliant ;-) )

a friend has an Adagio too and bought ATC SCM40 active two weeks ago. If you can pay them take the active SCM40 and sell your Amps! ;-)

No way of selling the amp, just ordered a new one that should arrive soon :D. But taking the pre-amp out of my chain would be attractive to use it as a headphone amp in my office!