IGNORED

Can you recommend over-the-ear headphones? Around $200-250?

I've been using V-Moda M-80 on-ear headphones for a while now.  I'm happy with the sound, but the get very uncomfortable about about 30-45 minutes of use.  I want to switch to over-the-ear headphones.   I listen mostly to classical and classic rock.  Usually wear them while walking outside and commuting.  My player is a Fiio X5iii, without a separate amp.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Are wireless headphones as good as wired, all other things equal?

26 minutes ago, Moosbrugger said:

I've been using V-Moda M-80 on-ear headphones for a while now.  I'm happy with the sound, but the get very uncomfortable about about 30-45 minutes of use.  I want to switch to over-the-ear headphones.   I listen mostly to classical and classic rock.  Usually wear them while walking outside and commuting.  My player is a Fiio X5iii, without a separate amp.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Are wireless headphones as good as wired, all other things equal?

Any good Bluetooth headphone is fine for portable use, since the noise floor in portable situations will mask the fine details you can hear at home where it's quiet.  If you like the sound of the M80, you'd probably like the Thinksound ON2, which, while it's on-ear, it's much more comfortable than the M80.

If what you mean by "over ear" (a disinformative marketing term) is fully around ear for the majority of ear sizes, there are few good choices until you get to something like the Beyer DT770 Pro.  Many if not most of the "around-ear" headphones fit average ears very snugly, causing comfort problems.  For larger ears it's even worse.

You might like something like the B&O H4 - it has reasonable fidelity.  I have other Bluetooth headphones besides the H4, but those are heavily EQ'd due to extreme variances from neutral.

Good advice.  Thank you.

I tried some headphones last night, including the Beyer DT880 and the Senhieser HD650.  I notice that the volume is much lower than with the V-Moda. Is  this simply a function of the higher impedance (i.e., 300 for HD650, 28.5 for M80).  If I wanted to move to a higher-impedance headphone, would I then need to get an amp?

53 minutes ago, Moosbrugger said:

Good advice.  Thank you.

I tried some headphones last night, including the Beyer DT880 and the Senhieser HD650.  I notice that the volume is much lower than with the V-Moda. Is  this simply a function of the higher impedance (i.e., 300 for HD650, 28.5 for M80).  If I wanted to move to a higher-impedance headphone, would I then need to get an amp?

Impedance is a factor - the higher it is the lower the volume, at least as far as the voltage/impedance/wattage formulas are concerned.  But the bigger studio-type headphones have other things in their designs that might lower the volume even more.  To smooth out resonances and other undesirable things in big earcups, the manufacturers use various padding and damping materials which absorb a lot of the sound.  Beyer for example makes the DT770 32 ohm version - a more consumer-friendly design, so it won't be as efficient as some portables, but it will be more efficient than the studio headphones.  Personally, for portable use I'd get a Bluetooth headphone.  Ditching the cord is a huge, huge convenience.

• 2 weeks later...

the X5iii will drive 300 ohm headphones in high gain with few exceptions provided you are using the single ended and not the balanced jack so I don't think you'll need an additional amp even for the HD650s.  Which, BTW, would be my recommendation at that price point.  

If you need more isolation, have you considered earphones with foam tips or is that out of the question?  

If you like the sound of the v-Modas why not just order the xtra large cups?  Unless your ears are like mine 67mm top to bottom.  As for over the ears, they all are going to be ...let's say a bit less stylish than the V-Moda and most downright geeky.  If you are okay with that some of the better ones that I have heard  and used, I would grab the Sennheiser HD-569 new for under $200.  Extra comfy and should be big enough, with great osund a bit less bass than the vmoda, better mids and more balanced hihgs.

If okay with used and ears not too big, NAD Viso HP-50 or Focal Spirit Professional are tow that I have owned that are hard to fault and all three of these can be driven amp less.

I never heard a BT headphone that would compete with wired, fwiw.  Then again lots of folks listen to mp3s, so take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck and enjoy the music.