IGNORED

JRiver convert to DSD512

jcbenten

I searched but did not find this topic.

I picked up a SMSL IQ and want to try DSD512.  I want to do the conversion offline as my laptop does not have the horsepower for online conversion.  However the choices only go to DSD256.  If I go to OPTION/DSP I can set Output to DSD512 but this seems to be only for online conversion.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?

I have asked on the JRiver forums.  If I get an answer there first, I will post here.

Thanks, chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Yes but the conversion did DS256. The Output Encoding is in the DSP section which appear, to me, to be online conversion.  The initial rate options in the pop up window max at DSD256.  

I do do have the latest version.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, jcbenten said:

Yes but the conversion did DS256. The Output Encoding is in the DSP section which appear, to me, to be online conversion.  The initial rate options in the pop up window max at DSD256.  

I do do have the latest version.

I must apologize for my quick response since it was about on-the-fly conversion and not off-line conversion.  That said, all JRMC DSD-to-DSD conversions entail an obligatory PCM intermediary and, thus, I would recommend doing it in JRMC. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

11 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I must apologize for my quick response since it was about on-the-fly conversion and not off-line conversion.  That said, all JRMC DSD-to-DSD conversions entail an obligatory PCM intermediary and, thus, I would recommend doing it in JRMC. 

I am not doing DSD to DSD...all my test files are Flac and one WAV...some are hi-rez.  

Not sure I understand the back half of your last sentence...I am trying to it all in JRMC...the offline conversion and subsequent playback.  Do you mean "not" doing it in JRMC?  If so, I understand.  Consider it an excercise in subjective quality:-)  That and I have the software so I am digging around to see what I can do.

I just received the IQ and can play back the PCM files converted to DSD256 using a WASAPI driver...

Kal...I just realized you are the same person responding on the JR forum.:S

20 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

I am not doing DSD to DSD...all my test files are Flac and one WAV...some are hi-rez.  

Not sure I understand the back half of your last sentence...I am trying to it all in JRMC...the offline conversion and subsequent playback.  Do you mean "not" doing it in JRMC?  If so, I understand.  Consider it an excercise in subjective quality:-)  That and I have the software so I am digging around to see what I can do.

I just received the IQ and can play back the PCM files converted to DSD256 using a WASAPI driver...

OK.  Yes, same guy.

My impression was that you were upsampling but did not realize you were starting with PCM.  JRMC is OK for that.  I have not done anything with DSD512 since my DACs are limited to DSD256.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I was able to get it to online upsample to DSD512 but stuttering is bad...laptop cannot handle.  

I can upsample to the 705.6/768 khz.

I have learned you cannot stop the file and change output...the song has to complete.  No on the fly rate change.  

My laptop is strong enough to convert to DSD128 with no stuttering.

This IQ is tiny...not much bigger than a stack of 6 credit cards.  Sounds fine so far.  Play it for a while then compare to my Sony PHA3.

I have come to the conclusion that JRiver does not do offline conversion to DSD512.  I found another program to do the upsample to test my SMSL IQ.