IGNORED

Determine what is actually in a *.mp4 file ??

I have some downloaded files that seem odd in terms of what I had to do with XLD to convert them into Apple Lossless to use in iTunes (on a recent iMac with High Sierra).

(XLD was not able to simply open them, and I had to use an alternative procedure where XLD said it was a PCM file of some sort with 44.1 rate and some other things I did not recognize...)

I was finally able to get these files converted into files that are designated with an .mp4 extension.  But are they really mp3 and disguised?

I am wondering if there is a way to check and see what they really are?  I have not imported them into iTunes yet.  But I could use iTunes, or maybe XLD can do this?

or is there another freeware program that can do it?

5 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I have some downloaded files that seem odd in terms of what I had to do with XLD to convert them into Apple Lossless to use in iTunes (on a recent iMac with High Sierra).

(XLD was not able to simply open them, and I had to use an alternative procedure where XLD said it was a PCM file of some sort with 44.1 rate and some other things I did not recognize...)

I was finally able to get these files converted into files that are designated with an .mp4 extension.  But are they really mp3 and disguised?

I am wondering if there is a way to check and see what they really are?  I have not imported them into iTunes yet.  But I could use iTunes, or maybe XLD can do this?

or is there another freeware program that can do it?

I use MediaInfo for getting this kind of information:

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

MP4 is a 'container format', meaning it is structured and designed to contain multiple different types of data. For example, audio, video and metadata. Each of the blocks of data are marked up with a signifier of the data type they contain.

MediaInfo probably just looks at what the blocks report, rather than look at the contained data itself which is what dBpoweramp. But what MediaInfo does should be good enough to tell you at least what audio format the data is stored in.

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

On 12.02.2018 at 11:46 PM, Ralf11 said:

I am wondering if there is a way to check and see what they really are?

VLC player. Click righ button on file > Media information > Codecs.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

• 9 months later...

to continue this discussion
I have an mp4 file, the audio information is below

I tested several software to convert or extract the audio from mp4 to FLAC or AIFF
the result is always the same: the recording level is very low, I need to turn up the volume to have the same result listening to the original.

no matter if it is 16/44 - 24/44 - 24/48
last soft used (mention as professionnel software...): Aiseesoft audio converter for Mac
Thank you for your help

Capture d’écran 2018-11-30 à 20.42.41.png