IGNORED

Adding a pre amp

Mustu

1 hour ago, mustafakaiser said:

Hello guys.

At the moment I have a PS Audio Direct stream DAC with a JEFF ROWLAND 625S2 power amp and use SOTM set of 3. I am thinking to add the PS audio BKH pre amp. 

Can anyone shed some light on this?  

Cheers

I assume that DAC has a level control? Do you have any other sound sources other than that DAC? An FM Tuner maybe, a turntable perhaps, or something else like a cassette deck or R-to-R tape recorder? If the DAC is your only source, and if it has it's own level control, then I say save your money. A preamp's job is two-fold. It is there to provide enough inputs to allow the user to switch between sound sources, and it allows for a bit of gain for sources that might have lower outputs than others. Some preamps even have "trim-pots" for each high-level input so that they all can be equalized to give the same loudness at the same at the same setting on the main volume control. Finally (and this has become rarer and rarer recently), preamps can provide the proper amplification and RIAA equalization to to accept a phonograph cartridge. 

Taken as a whole, the above description seems to show that if your DAC is you're only source, you don't need a preamp (even though you might want one, but that's a different subject). Another thing to consider is that most all preamps are active devices with transistor, tube, or IC gain stages in them. every active circuit that your audio signal passes through adds distortion and noise. Distortion and noise that your system does not have as of now. It's probably not much noise and distortion, but it will change the sound of your system. How much and in what way is impossible to predetermine, and you may or may not like the change. If the added functionality of a preamp is needed, then the tradeoff between the extra noise and distortion added by the extra gain stages and the added capability afforded by the addition of a preamp into your system is probably worth it. 

George

From a theoretical perspective, it doesn't seem to make sense, but like Bascom King (in the video posted above by diecaster), my system (as it has changed and evolved over the years) always sounds better with an active preamp in the chain. I have never had a system combination where it sounded better without a pre.  I really wanted to get rid of the preamp and use those funds for other purposes, but couldn't.

If you search around audio review sites and fora, Bascom is not alone in his view.  Plenty of professional reviewers and consumers have come to a similar conclusion (system dependent, of course).  Having said that, preferences and system synergy can flip things the other way and you will also find lots of proponents of going without a pre.  All you can do is experiment in your system and see what you prefer.   

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Adding a PreAmp to a system vrs DAC direct is the perfect example of when Theory and Reality dont line up..IMO.

The theory of course being that the presence of a Pre in the chain does nothing but add more noise/distortion resulting in worse sound. Most folks who claim this are also the same folks who made such a comparison using a less then stellar Pre in the first place. You cant drop less than  $5K on a Pre and expect it to be doing you any favors given the quality of the DAC's today.

I would even go as far to say that dropping $5-10K on a Pre is probably the minimum requirement otherwise DAC direct may very well be better assuming the DAC is of very high quality and the volume control method deployed while using this configuration is one that is pure software at 64bit or Analog based within the DAC itself, which is somewhat rare, but not impossible to find if you look hard enough.

Like others have said, I've never found a DAC direct setup that could beat the sound of one with a very good PreAmp in place. Not yet at least ;)

If a preamp improves the sound quality of a dac with variable volume the dac output stage is the issue. 

Another feature of a preamp is impedance matching. High input impedance and low output impedance. There are a lot of variables. 

I have a lot of preamps in the attic. Croft,  Audible Illusions , and a diy using 6080 tubes. Also  several solid state, and a few passive. All actually do a great job at input selection, low coloration, and ability to drive an amplifier. Even the passive models work well when connected to an amp with high input impedance and driven by a low output impedance source.

But the three dacs I use regularity sound best straight into an amplifier. Maybe you just have to listen for yourself and decide.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

On 2/12/2018 at 1:50 PM, mustafakaiser said:

Hello guys.

At the moment I have a PS Audio Direct stream DAC with a JEFF ROWLAND 625S2 power amp and use SOTM set of 3. I am thinking to add the PS audio BKH pre amp. 

Can anyone shed some light on this?  

Cheers

I also have a 625 S2 and run directly to it from my Mytek Manhattan II DAC which has an excellent built in digital and analog pre-amp.  I have been in the same boat as you, wondering if a dedicated pre-amp would significantly improve SQ.  I recently had the chance to try two outstanding pre-amps......both of which sounded excellent, and did a bit to smooth things out and were perhaps a bit more fleshy.  I don't think you could call the sound better though, just different.  As a fun piece of gear, I'd love to have kept either of them, but given the eye watering cost of top shelf pre-amps I could never tell someone it was worth it if they were expecting a leap in sonics.

FWIW, Jeff Rowland prefers going direct from his Aeris DAC into a power amp for a single source digital system.  I was surprised to see the absence of a pre-amp in his listening room.  This should be a testament to the quality of volume control in well designed DACs.

TD

1 minute ago, tdimler said:

Jeff Rowland prefers going direct from his Aeris DAC into a power amp for a single source digital system.

That's exactly what I do with my Aeris and 625 S2.  My dealer still wants to sell me a Corus ... and the ultracapacitor PS.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

With that set up I would never add a preamp period.  The only thing you can possibly hope to achieve by adding a preamp is to color the sound with additional distortion and noise.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 2/12/2018 at 1:42 PM, coot said:

I highly recommend adding a pre. I did so acoupla months ago. It improved SQ by "fleshing out", providing a fuller, richer body over all.  You will like the improvement.

This will not be the result with his set up.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 hours ago, barrows said:

This will not be the result with his set up.

I disagree. While the DirectStream preamp is quite good, it is no match for a quality active tube preamp. Please watch the BHK video I provided a link to.....I have a DirectStream and have tried it with and without a quality active preamp. I have a quality active preamp in front of my amp.....

8 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I like my pre-amp - it gives me tubey goodness, and allows me to switch to an FM Tuner

My Day Sequerra FM tuners have AES output along with balanced analog. I prefer the AES through a dac. But Richard Sequerra tells me that the analog output is the same. 

He is most likely correct. FM, FM-HD, AM, AM-HD are lower resolution than most other digital sources.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

21 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Not only do I agree, but I can back it up. A good friend of mine had the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC in his system for the past three years up until a couple months ago. He tried it direct to a whole series of amps, and each time, things improved dramatically when he added his PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp (highly recommended, and  steal for the money) into the mix. The consistencies in sound without the DAC were sound that was lean, too much towards clinical,  and lacking texture and depth. Adding the preamp, in virtually each case improved the sonic signature of his system, adding depth, richness, a believable degree of warmth that hugely improved the midrange, and highs that extended believably and effortlessly. We spent many, many hours verifying this, as well as bringing in other audiophiles in the area to verify what we kept finding. And the findings were always consistent.

Now, will I say that there is no way that a DAC, with a volume control, connecting directly to amplifiers can be as good, as having a really good preamp in the system? No, but be prepared to layout out BIG dollars for that DAC. I bring this up because over the past few months, my friend has found a DAC that is actually producing better sound from his system connected to any of the three amplifiers that he owns. However, that DAC cost him well over $15k! 

JC

Thank you! BHK and Paul McGowan, the CEO of PS Audio, prefer using an active tube preamp versus using only the "purely passive output stage" with digital volume control of the DirectStream.

1 hour ago, barrows said:

we already have two very effective RF filters: transformers at both the receiving and transmitting ends.

And they can't add distortion, introduce phase changes, or premature high frequency roll off, especially with high res 24/192 or DSD ?  

My own DIY Class A Preamp for example , is only -3dB at 1.5MHZ.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

So, to address the usual rounds of misinformation on this topic: pre-amps are required.

The output stage of a DAC is not a pre-amp. It will just take the small signal out of the D/A stage and generate a 1-4v for transmission down a cable. Most DS-type DACs will offer a digital volume control which is adjusting the signal down (attenuation) that is passed into the output stage. As we've discussed and analyzed in the past, digital attenuation is trash and should be avoided. Some DACs, notably the Myteks, have the option of using low-quality analog control (via chip) in addition to digital attenuation. The output stage still has to be good -- the preamp won't fix it -- but to realize the best sound you still need the preamp.

An active, discrete class A gain stage (triodes, FETs, etc) with serious voltage amplification and power supply capability is required for good sound. Every single experienced audiophile knows this. The less experienced have a perception that a line stage is just for volume control, and if it's just for volume control you don't need it if you can control volume digitally -- either through digital attenuation or via software before the DAC.

The noise question. Preamps deal with small signals, and they have a higher noise floor than DACs and often times more than power amps. Don't worry about the noise floor, worry about the quality of your sound. If you want rich harmonic textures, full bass, a good soundstage and dynamics, you want a preamp. If you're a non-audiophile who doesn't place a high value on sound quality you may be fine without one.

27 minutes ago, diecaster said:

As @cjf said, this  "is the perfect example of when Theory and Reality dont line up". As a purist, I would like to believe that a passive preamp or no preamp at all would sound better than an active preamp.

Or it means that the reality is that most people have been conditioned to think colored sound is the more accurate. Maybe if they had listened for years to systems without a separate pre, they'd think a system with a pre sounds inaccurate and colored. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)