semente

What's wrong with commercial recordings

Rate this topic

This week I was zapping through the radio stations on my way home and this band was playing live from the BBC studios.

The vocals could do with a bit reverb but it sounds much more "lively" than most commercial recordings, crisper, better balanced, like being in a club:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05xjkzm

Why don't most commercial recordings sound as good as this?

Who's to blame, the producers?

The Loudness Wars are a bit silly and with some present indie bands they even make fun of it by doing it so LoFi and non-polished it's gotten critic's attention. Electric Studio's Forum (Steve Albini's Studio) has some hilarious but valid pro's and con's. Unless you're listening to "most" music from a reputable label, Production/Recording/Engineering staff it is what it is. It's hard to enjoy music if you know what goes behind it, or you're not hearing a tone stretch out due to it being cut off on the note to ether. That sucks. I hate it. But I also grew up on indie bands on labels that recorded like Pavement's original release of Slanted and Enchanted. I hated Nirvana's Nevermind because it was not the band's sound. It was more glossy than Appetite For Destruction.

I doubt its the loudness wars to blame, more likely the AAC 320 the bbc use to stream just sounds better than flac/wav. 

19 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Sure, lossy AAC 320 sounds sounds better than lossless FLAC/WAV. Not in any reality I am aware of is that the case.....

Sound quality is subjective isn't it? 

12 hours ago, Rexp said:

Sound quality is subjective isn't it? 

Sure. Please explain how a FLAC that would be a source of an AAC320 file would sound wise than the AAC320 file. I am really looking forward to how you explain that having less bits with a lower sample rate could sound better.

54 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Sure. Please explain how a FLAC that would be a source of an AAC320 file would sound wise than the AAC320 file. I am really looking forward to how you explain that having less bits with a lower sample rate could sound better.

The AAC seems to filter out the objectional noise (bit like vinyl) that I hear in the original FLAC. Of course AAC aint perfect but I find it preferable. I am analog guy that thinks most digital playback sucks. Useful feedback anyone?