IGNORED

Should I Copy and Paste or use WD Smartware?

I got a new 4TB WD Passport external for my music backup and used the WD Smartware. Is it better to just copy and paste instead since that is just a copy instead of all the software to restore? My other backup was a Seagate and almost full at 2TB and those files once accessed appear as they are instead of the WD stuff.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

I tend to avoid software like the WD and Seagate stuff.    I use either OS backup tools or file sync tools.  For the MAC tools like Chronosync or Carbon Copy Cloner come to mind.  On Windows I would look at GoodSync.  For Windows Backup I have not really tested a lot of local backup tools.  

For Internet backups I use Backblaze.

—rjf

3 hours ago, bobfa said:

I tend to avoid software like the WD and Seagate stuff.    I use either OS backup tools or file sync tools.  For the MAC tools like Chronosync or Carbon Copy Cloner come to mind.  On Windows I would look at GoodSync.  For Windows Backup I have not really tested a lot of local backup tools.  

For Internet backups I use Backblaze.

—rjf

You prefer these third party software instead of Time Machine on the Mac?

To move music to my server I use Chronosync.  I use Carbon Copy Cloner for weekly Image backups.  Time Machine does local backup on the working Macs.  BackBlaze puts everything in the cloud....

I was trying to help with getting stuff onto a separate music system not back it up..  My music system is an appliance that only backs up the meta data from Roon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2018 at 3:08 AM, bobfa said:

That is very true but there is no check that the copy worked properly.. That is why I like to use software that validates large data moves.

I use copy and paste for moving large amounts of CAD data from a server to my laptop and have done for years, never had a problem yet...