IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Imagery Volume 1: dCS Network Bridge

I started with my phone camera getting photos for gear to sell then went to a Canon 7D to get better photos and now love popping the top on audio gear and using a macro lens to get a small part of the circuit board or control dials. 

Everything  goes into Adobe Lightroom where digital corrections are easy.

My question to you would be if your shooting in analog with that great glass and a Hasselblad, do you then print and scan the photo to get it on the web site? Don't you deprive yourself of photo correction that way, unless your correcting the digital scan, then what's the point other than to try to get the shot right first time with film.

Just now, steve21 said:

I started with my phone camera getting photos for gear to sell then went to a Canon 7D to get better photos and now love popping the top on audio gear and using a macro lens to get a small part of the circuit board or control dials. 

Everything  goes into Adobe Lightroom where digital corrections are easy.

My question to you would be if your shooting in analog with that great glass and a Hasselblad, do you then print and scan the photo to get it on the web site? Don't you deprive yourself of photo correction that way, unless your correcting the digital scan, then what's the point other than to try to get the shot right first time with film.

Ah, maybe I was a bit misleading. Most of my photography is analog, but for this column I will mainly shoot digital.

I shot all these digitally. I don't touch them up at all. Everything is straight off the censor.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I shot all these digitally. I don't touch them up at all. Everything is straight off the sensor.

Or at least as close as digital can be.  A topic for other days and places. 

The photos were interesting documentation.  Inconsistent light levels and temperature could use a bit of work.  Get that kid of yours down there with you to hold an umbrella or reflector.  :)

2 minutes ago, rando said:

Or at least as close as digital can be.  A topic for other days and places. 

The photos were interesting documentation.  Inconsistent light levels and temperature could use a bit of work.  Get that kid of yours down there with you to hold an umbrella or reflector.  :)

Yeah, this was more of an artistic exercise rather than documentation. I prefer darker images overall. I have all the images at everything from a couple stops under exposed to a couple stops over exposed. 

Thanks for the feedback nonetheless. It's all welcome. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I was being overtly nitpicky when I should have been applauding the almost unheard of "showing the untouched negative". 

Digital is very hard to get your eye in the same way as analog.  Be it something tricky like reflections or just color and texture.  Unlike a print these photos look different to every single person viewing them.  Much less how you saw them before your camera processed them for download to your computer.

Nice pics. I think many will appreciate seeing the guts in HQ of various gear under review or just for the heck of it.

This DCS product certainly looks the part and is as clean as one would expect for the price of admission. Nice to see no COTS board and ground up in house build/design here. Other wanna be "audiophile" brands should take heed to this type of build quality and thoughtful design.

I'm curious if the black padding on the top panel in one of the pics was resonance control material or if it was being used to capture stray wireless signal grunge from the wireless card directly below it? Would be nice to have an option to exclude that noise generator but o'well.

Great stuff! As a dCS fanboy I was very interested, internally it's very much 'professional instrument grade'. And I've never seen anyone put their advertising slogan, in this case "only the music" on a PC board before.

Why have you got both a Rossini and a bridge in your system?  The Rossini has, in effect, got the bridge inside it., being both a network player and a USB/coax etc.  DAC.

Or is it just for testing  the bridge with non-dCS stuff? 

7 hours ago, Spacehound said:

Great stuff! As a dCS fanboy I was very interested, internally it's very much 'professional instrument grade'. And I've never seen anyone put their advertising slogan, in this case "only the music" on a PC board before.

Why have you got both a Rossini and a bridge in your system?  The Rossini has, in effect, got the bridge inside it., being both a network player and a USB/coax etc.  DAC.

Or is it just for testing  the bridge with non-dCS stuff? 

I’m reviewing both components, but separately. I just placed the NB there for testing. 

On 2/8/2018 at 8:17 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m reviewing both components, but separately. I just placed the NB there for testing. 

Pics of Rossini's internals next, please? BTW... Loving my Rossini+Clock.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

On 2/7/2018 at 6:51 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Looking back, I think I should have adjusted the temp a bit. Perhaps I'll make the adjustments and re-upload. 

Softbox?

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

6 hours ago, michael123 said:

No, why?

Couple of external continous lights will do the job

We have these for many years. A work horse

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/390686-REG/Impact_EX100A_KI_One_Monolight_Kit.html

That's a softbox.

system pics

I read the headline as “Audiophile Imaginary Volume” ... the mind was boggling!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.