IGNORED

Electrostat Speakers: TRASH?

GUTB

Okay guys. I finally got to seriously listen to electrostats, a pair of Martin Logan Expression 13As at a Magnolia hooked up to an Arcam SR250 Stereo Reciever (I believe) at a Magnolia. I got to listen to some fo my reference tracks on Tidal. The salesperson assured me they were dialed in perfectly. Impression: TRASH!!

The stage was relatively wide, it was quite tall and not forward. There was some depth and good air, Imaging was mediocre but not terrible.

The bass was MUDDY and ill-fitting TRASH. Okay, maybe it can be tuned.

UNRESOLVING! Low level details buried. Wasn’t good at delineating overlapping sounds. 

Top end extension - JUNK! Extremely unsatisfying, muted, veiled, etc peaks. NO thrill in the highs.

BAD. Would not pay $1,500, let alone $15,000!!

What happened? Is the integrated just trash?

My first “high end” speaker was a ML Sequel II like 30ish years ago, and I tried several others over the years (Summit X was my favorite) before changing direction.  I have found ML’s extremely sensitive to amplification. Even more so than many other speakers I’ve owned/heard. In my experience ML’s need a high damping factor amp to sound best. There are lots of really smart people on this site who can explain why, I just know what my ears hear. 

I’m not crapping on the amp you heard, I’m just saying that these same speakers (which I’ve never heard) might sound great with a different amp. Also, most ML’s need subwoofers.  

I think ML’s, in the right setup and with the right music can provide TREMENDOUS value and have some world class qualities at a reasonable (for this hobby) price, 

Good luck!

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

36 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Okay guys. I finally got to seriously listen to electrostats, a pair of Martin Logan Expression 13As at a Magnolia hooked up to an Arcam SR250 Stereo Reciever (I believe) at a Magnolia. I got to listen to some fo my reference tracks on Tidal. The salesperson assured me they were dialed in perfectly. Impression: TRASH!!......

You don't seem to like this hobby very much. It seems to upset you.

Maybe you should try something else. How about this?:

https://swimswam.com/american-portugal-underwater-unicyclist-breaks-world-record/

14 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I'll work on it.  I was really just trying to achieve tonal balance with the Star Trek quotes today...

Are you cognizant of the fact that many of your one-liners don’t even make sense?

So far just one serious response, everyone else just pushing anti-GUTB memes....

First problem: Magnolia.  The audio guys at Magnolia may not know much about audio....maybe your store is better than some of the local stores I have visited.  So the old YMMV applies.  But still......

PS:  Was it safe to park your Roller at a Best Buy?   I usually have one of the servants drop me off......one can not be to careful.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Full disclosure: there was an obvious channel imbalance, which the sales guy didn’t bother to fix even after I nicely pointed it out "hey, is there a channel in balance, it’s kind of driving me crazy haha..." I don’t get how you take one if your main demos and fail to voice it perfectly before showing it off...

Just now, GUTB said:

Full disclosure: there was an obvious channel imbalance, which the sales guy didn’t bother to fix even after I nicely pointed it out "hey, is there a channel in balance, it’s kind of driving me crazy haha..." I don’t get how you take one if your main demos and fail to voice it perfectly before showing it off...

You went to Best Buy to audition speakers.  Your expectations were surprisingly (or perhaps characteristically unrealistic?) high for how that was going to go IMHO.

Best Buy, even their  “Magnolia Theater” stores probably aren’t the best venue for auditioning speakers such as Martin Logan electrostatics.  Pretty well known that it takes serious time, effort and a sympathetic amp/preamp combo to get the best out out a speaker like that and although Magnolia does do pretty good job of getting the word out that there is more to the electronics world than Sonos, Bose, etc. (with the consumurate increase in price) in this case I’d have to say they are out of their league. 

Now if they still carried things like the super friendly Vienna Acoustics line they be a hell of a lot better off and also convert a whole lot more casual listeners into what Hi-Fi music reproduction should be. Enjoyable and addictive! 

David

4 hours ago, GUTB said:

Okay guys. I finally got to seriously listen to electrostats, a pair of Martin Logan Expression 13As at a Magnolia hooked up to an Arcam SR250 Stereo Reciever (I believe) at a Magnolia. I got to listen to some fo my reference tracks on Tidal. The salesperson assured me they were dialed in perfectly. Impression: TRASH!!

The stage was relatively wide, it was quite tall and not forward. There was some depth and good air, Imaging was mediocre but not terrible.

The bass was MUDDY and ill-fitting TRASH. Okay, maybe it can be tuned.

UNRESOLVING! Low level details buried. Wasn’t good at delineating overlapping sounds. 

Top end extension - JUNK! Extremely unsatisfying, muted, veiled, etc peaks. NO thrill in the highs.

BAD. Would not pay $1,500, let alone $15,000!!

What happened? Is the integrated just trash?

Not very Audiophile of you to be shopping at Best Buy, ,  Its not up to you high standards.

The Truth Is Out There

The high end in Magnolia Design Centers have respectable equipment — McIntosh and B&W. I went there really to listen to one of the newer McIntosh integrateds, possibly one of thier pres — of Which they didn’t have or were in a crap demo setup (one nice pre in the "welcome stack" outside had speakers about three feet from each other, so basically worthless). Since they had the MLs setup in the "performance audio" room I thought I’d get a demo.

Too bad the sales guy was actually nice, no-pressure, and didn’t display a hint of being aggravated at my requests. The word budget never came out of his mouth.

BTW, I’m spending the week in Chicago, checking out some local dealers. There’s a ProAc dealer I really must visit. I think one of them has MLs or Mangepans. We’ll see.

2 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Yes - and in my opinion @GUTB knew that before he started the thread.

Benefit of the doubt :D 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects