IGNORED

SSD vs 2,5´´ HDD vs 3,5´´ HDD

Looking for the "best" SQ concerning different storage media these are my findings so far:

1. For years I have been using a 2,5´´ USB-HDD as my music storage.

2. Months ago I compared SQ of this solution with a 3,5´´ USB-HDD finding the former to sound more flat. So it was replaced.

3. As a USB-SSD sounded as flat as 1

4. I replaced the standard power supply by 12V coming from my UpTone JS-2 which was the biggest step forward so far concerning storage media.

5. The last step up the ladder (for the time being anyway) came by a Thunderbolt 3,5´´ HDD also driven by the JS-2. The Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo will be my way until a better solution will arise. I am rewarded by more details with a tighter bass and a piano that can be followed much easier.

I feel inclined to think, that it is not so much 2,5´´ vs 3,5´´ vs SSD but eliminating bus power by the use of a decent external power supply which improves SQ.

Best,

Uwe

HDDs induce significant electrical noise due to the current fluctuations, especially during spin-up/spin-down. This was why some initially speculated that SSDs, with their lack of moving parts, would fare better. However, SSDs themselves suffer from current fluctuations, hence some companies have patented technologies to smooth out the changes in current draw, so as to lessen electrical noise.

You are quite right that it is more about the power supply, and being able to control the electrical noise, that ultimately impacts the SQ.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...