IGNORED

The Brinkman Ship MQA Listening Results

50 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Thx - wonder if he is more of a silent partner these days, stuck with Meridian only or...??

Unclear, though I did go back and have another look at those financials and I had it wrong.

As of the 2016 Meridian Financial Statement filed in May 2017, E.J. Boothroyd is the single largest individual holder of Meridian's Preferred shares, however that amount is dwarfed by the amount of Preferred shares held by Muse Holdings S.A.R.L. (Reinet/Richemont), as well as the Taylor Family Trust (and it's various similar structures/affiliates).

E.J. Boothroyd is listed in that 2016 filing as a company director, occupation listed as product design consultant, so not silent.

On 2/10/2018 at 7:08 AM, John_Atkinson said:

I am not being disingenuous. You posted that I had written that I had referred to Computer Audiophile as a "den of deplorables."  Your use of quote marks indicates that you are being literal, that these were the exact words I was supposed to have used. I have not done so, nor have I written anything like those words, yet rather than admitting your error, you now pretend that I am avoiding another question. 

So, to put your fevered imaginings to rest, my opinion of CA is that Chris Connacker has done a superb job of creating an on-line community. He applies an appropriately light hand when it comes to moderation in order to allow arguments to develop fully.  While I might disagree with some of his policies, as a competitor it is not appropriate for me to discuss such matters on-line.

Now that I have answered your specific question, please pay me the respect of admitting that you were wrong to to write that I had described CA as a " den of deplorables."

As you can see:

I used no scare quotes around the original "den of deplorables".  And we can argue as nauseum around whether "make it out to be" implies a direct quote vs. an implied sentiment.  I stand by my original assertion that you're here in this thread as a high class troll.  And I really need to stop feeding you.  -_-

1 minute ago, christopher3393 said:

Utter nonsense based on several prejudiced assumptions you expressed earlier in the thread.

Your personal bias against me is obvious.  Your whole presence in this thread is to be a scold and to watch @Brinkman Ship for any transgression that will trigger the "Report post" process.  Good luck with your witch hunt.

4 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I used no scare quotes around the original "den of deplorables".

No you didn't. But as is usual in English usage, I used the quotation marks (not scare quotes) in my posting to make it clear that those weren't my words, that I was quoting what someone else wrote, in this case you. Do you really not comprehend that? Do you really find it so hard to admit that you were wrong to say that I had referred to CA as "a den of deplorables"?

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, John_Atkinson said:

No you didn't. But as is usual in English usage, I used the quotation marks (not scare quotes) in my posting to make it clear that those weren't my words, that I was quoting what someone else wrote, in this case you. Do you really not comprehend that? Do you really find it so hard to admit that you were wrong to say that I had referred to CA as "a den of deplorables"?

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Who gives a rat's ass what you think?

You delete from Stereophile any comments (and any follow ups)  that demonstrate with checkable facts  that your flunkeys are lying between their teeth about MQA. Enjoy your pieces of silver.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, Siltech817 said:

Unclear, though I did go back and have another look at those financials and I had it wrong.

As of the 2016 Meridian Financial Statement filed in May 2017, E.J. Boothroyd is the single largest individual holder of Meridian's Preferred shares, however that amount is dwarfed by the amount of Preferred shares held by Muse Holdings S.A.R.L. (Reinet/Richemont), as well as the Taylor Family Trust (and it's various similar structures/affiliates).

E.J. Boothroyd is listed in that 2016 filing as a company director, occupation listed as product design consultant, so not silent.

He's one of these 'Designers'.

No different from some well paid popstar or French "man's man"  who puts his name on sunglasses. And about as technically competent.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/6/2018 at 6:07 PM, NOMBEDES said:

if you like the sound, it follows that you should embrace the technology, if you don't like the sound, ignore it.

The nefarious industry-wide conspiracy aside for a moment, the quote above sums it up beautifully especially when it comes to the subjectivity of the human sensory interface.  The Wine Spectator reviews wines all the time, some of them even advertise in the magazine.  A conflict of interest?  Possibly, but the key thing to note is if the wine doesn't taste good to you, it's not good wine.  It doesn't matter what score they gave it.

• 2 months later...

@Brinkman Ship

I have similar listening results comparing MQA to non-MQA using Tidal and Roon. I understand your description of a “hole” in the sound stage.

My conclusion is that there is blurring of the sensitive time information contained in the original master. 

MQA is detrimental to music quality. It is phase shifting higher frequencies and delaying them. This changes the timbre of higher frequency upper mid range instruments (upper range of violin for example) and the presence region. It also affects percussion. There is a slight dissonance because upper harmonics are now out of phase with the fundamental. The blurring effect is similar to how you tune a guitar or piano using beats to match frequencies exactly. (The tone sounds phasey until you get an exact frequency match - at which points the beats are very long or disappear altogether).

The choice to use minimum phase filtering and an apodizing filter is causing higher frequencies to be phase shifted and delayed with respect to lower frequencies. In the case of stereo image, sibilance and other presence region effects on vocals (consonants etc) and particularly their harmonics are being delayed so much that they are less audible (masked by lower frequencies). The result is a loss of image stability. 

I confirm that Brinkman Ship results are easily reproducible on a high end system. MQA is detrimental to music quality. It makes all files - high resolution or CD redbook sound worse!

Thanks to Brinkman Ship for raising this and spreading the word. I repeat - the Brinkman Ship listening results are easily reproduced in a few hours on a high end system.

41 minutes ago, Shadorne said:

@Brinkman Ship

I have similar listening results comparing MQA to non-MQA using Tidal and Roon. I understand your description of a “hole” in the sound stage.

My conclusion is that there is blurring of the sensitive time information contained in the original master. 

MQA is detrimental to music quality. It is phase shifting higher frequencies and delaying them. This changes the timbre of higher frequency upper mid range instruments (upper range of violin for example) and the presence region. It also affects percussion. There is a slight dissonance because upper harmonics are now out of phase with the fundamental. The blurring effect is similar to how you tune a guitar or piano using beats to match frequencies exactly. (The tone sounds phasey until you get an exact frequency match - at which points the beats are very long or disappear altogether).

The choice to use minimum phase filtering and an apodizing filter is causing higher frequencies to be phase shifted and delayed with respect to lower frequencies. In the case of stereo image, sibilance and other presence region effects on vocals (consonants etc) and particularly their harmonics are being delayed so much that they are less audible (masked by lower frequencies). The result is a loss of image stability. 

I confirm that Brinkman Ship results are easily reproducible on a high end system. MQA is detrimental to music quality. It makes all files - high resolution or CD redbook sound worse!

Thanks to Brinkman Ship for raising this and spreading the word. I repeat - the Brinkman Ship listening results are easily reproduced in a few hours on a high end system.

Hi Shardorne:

Yes my test is easily repeatable.  You find soon enough that a few lunatics may show up claiming I "made it up"..

Just yesterday i compared the MQA and non MQA version of Doyle Bramhall's new album, Shades..the MQA version

destroyed the music.