IGNORED

Physical CD's

• 2 weeks later...

I used a couple of Slappa cases to store the cd and insert.  Most of the plastic cases went in the trash (no recycling).  Looks like Slappa discontinued my case...I think each one holds 500-600 or so.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

On 2/4/2018 at 3:35 PM, ddetaey said:

In Belgium, it is legally allowed to take a 'backup' from your CD's.  (The law is not explicit if the backups can be used to play back your music, but no one is making a problem of it.)

However, you must be able to proof that you own the original - physical - CD's.

I keep mine (about 2000) in their jewel cases.

Dirk

I live in the United States and that is exactly how the law is here as well. Without the original CD in your possesion, you have to delete the file from the hard drive. I do not know where the OP lives.

Do you have a cite for a requirement to keep the original CD in your possession?

What if you have proof of purchase - a receipt? 

Or suppose your house flooded and the CD was swept away but you were able to save your portable HDD which had copies of the ripped CD and your purchase receipt...?

19 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Do you have a cite for a requirement to keep the original CD in your possession?

What if you have proof of purchase - a receipt? 

Or suppose your house flooded and the CD was swept away but you were able to save your portable HDD which had copies of the ripped CD and your purchase receipt...?

This is just a logical corollary to the oft-made statement you must delete any digital copies you have upon sale of the physical media; i.e., if you're asked to prove ownership of a digital file, you must be able to produce the physical CD you ripped it from.

That said, I've not heard that any court in the US has officially ruled on the legality of even ripping files for your own use - everyone just assumes it "should be" OK.  As do I.  But I keep all my physical CDs (yes, taking up LOTS of room) and all my email "receipts" for downloaded tracks.  Better safe than sorry.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

it all depends on the exact wording of the statute, and Congressional intent - that is what will (or should) determine the case law

and any cases on the matter may or may not apply to you

I have not read any of the above except some portions of the statute, and some of the Complaints the big record companies filed against some college students who were "sharing" with their "friends" (all over the internet)

7 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I have not read any of the above except some portions of the statute, and some of the Complaints the big record companies filed against some college students who were "sharing" with their "friends" (all over the internet)

One of those may or may not have been me...  I can neither confirm or deny.

No electron left behind.

They did win, and did not give the names of the students to the RIAA.  However, the school itself sanctioned the students internally.

I don't have a cite handy, I'll have to google for one.

edit: Well, things may have changed:

https://studentlegalservices.umich.edu/article/warning-music-downloading-and-file-sharing

Then I find this:  

https://www.wired.com/2007/03/university_of_m/

No electron left behind.

On 2/25/2018 at 2:40 PM, Rocky Bennett said:

I live in the United States and that is exactly how the law is here as well. Without the original CD in your possesion, you have to delete the file from the hard drive. I do not know where the OP lives.

THANK_YOU!  I live in the US, I did not know the law, and I've been telling myself that I really need to get off my butt and get rid of 1000 ripped CDs.  But now I "can't"!  Hurray!

Amazon seems to have a very good selection of space efficient CD shelves--I looked them up during an earlier round of procrastination on this issue.  I'm going to buy some and stick them in a closet.  They will take up less space than their bins.

On 2/25/2018 at 10:51 PM, jhwalker said:

if you're asked to prove ownership of a digital file, you must be able to produce the physical CD you ripped it from. 

I've heard this argument before. But in what sort of situation could I possibly be asked to prove ownership of any of the  data in my possession? Am I supposed to be able to do the same for physical objects that I possess?  Such a requirement seems preposterous to me. For all anybody knows, I could have stolen the chair I'm sitting on and I certainly wouldn't be able to prove otherwise.