IGNORED

New streamer or new DAC

Hi all new to this site and thinking of how to improve the sound in my system and was wondering whether a new streamer or a separate DAC would be the way forward. My current system is mainly CD quality files in AIFF format stored on a Synology NAS streamed through a Squeezebox Touch to a Leema Pulse amp then out to a pair of Proac Tri Tower speakers.

Would I be better changing the SBT for a new streamer or adding a separate DAC to current system?

If a new streamer had thought maybe starting off with Auralic Aries mini but not sure how much an improvement that would be. I once auditioned a Cyrus XA streamer which at £1200 was only very marginally better than the SBT, well to my ears anyway. 

I have the chance of a second hand Audiolab MDAC + which I could then add to SBT but again not sure how much improvement over the internal DAC of the SBT this would give me. 

If you don't have any usb toys, and are using just a regular noisy pc, i would recommend a "network player" (streamer/dac) or separate streamer and dac.

Right now their aren't a lot of streamer/dacs on the market with good reviews in low budget, but I am certain that will change with time.

I spent a lot of time researching this area, and I would go with one of these which are available on used market:

Auralic Altair

Lumin D1

New Lumin D2

NEW Marantz ND8006 (also supports ALEXA) and what i ultimately went with.  I t's a stop-gap for me until better comes along.

OPPO 205 (many report SUPERB SQ with mods...google OPPO Mods)

or go with SOTM or Sonore along with inexpensive dac until you can afford a better one.

• 1 month later...

I know a little pricier, but with the Auralic Altair you would get both a new DAC (and a pretty good one too) and a very versatile streamer/server solution.

It really is a very nice package that simplifies the equipment stack down to needing only one set of interconnects.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

On 2/4/2018 at 2:38 AM, Awatson said:

Hi all new to this site and thinking of how to improve the sound in my system and was wondering whether a new streamer or a separate DAC would be the way forward. My current system is mainly CD quality files in AIFF format stored on a Synology NAS streamed through a Squeezebox Touch to a Leema Pulse amp then out to a pair of Proac Tri Tower speakers.

Would I be better changing the SBT for a new streamer or adding a separate DAC to current system?

If a new streamer had thought maybe starting off with Auralic Aries mini but not sure how much an improvement that would be. I once auditioned a Cyrus XA streamer which at £1200 was only very marginally better than the SBT, well to my ears anyway. 

I have the chance of a second hand Audiolab MDAC + which I could then add to SBT but again not sure how much improvement over the internal DAC of the SBT this would give me. 

Hi,

I do not suggest the Aries stuff, mRendu is much better and it's questionable about whether the UpNP bridge in Auralic is working properly. Auralic, - besides being lower SQ, wants one to stay in their software-land which they've invested in at the expense of their hardware, - (IMO).

I would get a Linear power supply for your SBT first, or a two rail LPS and an iso-regen. That keeps you in the same LMS world. I have 4 Squeezebox Touches and an ultra-Rendu and have owned the microRendu, plus I have had a few iterations of the Razberri Pi boxes in the main system. With a Linear Power supply, the Razberri Boxes stack up really well too, and connect very easily to LMS. I have a QNAP (all AIFF) and have MPD server installed and sometimes I think I hear a very slight improvement over LMS, - but I just run Squeezelite as i like the interface, and it's set up for the other SBTs.....  At the end of the day, adding a Linear Power Supply and an isoRegen to a SBT is a pretty huge upgrade. Depending on budget, you could upgrade your existing SBT a little, and then also your DAC.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I own the Lumin S1 and it is a streamer and DAC in one unit.  Sound much better than my Directstream DAC with Bridge II.  Look around for a used one to save money.

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

• 11 months later...
On 3/18/2018 at 6:27 AM, photonman said:

I know a little pricier, but with the Auralic Altair you would get both a new DAC (and a pretty good one too) and a very versatile streamer/server solution.

It really is a very nice package that simplifies the equipment stack down to needing only one set of interconnects.

I got the Altair because I use an iPad to connect to Tidal. I am planning to add a NAS, Roon.

That is if I can get the Altair to work. I spent the whole day setting it up and failed to hear any music.  I contacted Auralic support. Hopefully they have better service than Bluesound. I don’t understand why all this is so difficult.