IGNORED

Assistance with e-onkyo.com

Perhaps the only place to get the latest remastered downloads from Deutsche Grammophon and EBS.  We used to be able to use the site outside Japan but now they don't take western credit cards even if you use a proxy to get in.  The banner points you to onkyomusic.com, but that site is a joke.

Can anyone help me get some new releases from e-onkyo.com?

You can get in with a proxy, but the trick now is to have a Japanese credit card (or a good friend on the inside).

I thought Onkyo shut it down so they could launch new site, but the classical section in onkyomusic.com is pitiful.  Now with so many years passed, what gives (or what takes)?

2 hours ago, Darryl R said:

You can get in with a proxy, but the trick now is to have a Japanese credit card (or a good friend on the inside).

I thought Onkyo shut it down so they could launch new site, but the classical section in onkyomusic.com is pitiful.  Now with so many years passed, what gives (or what takes)?

I've tried various proxies without success. Which one worked for you?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

No way to be absolutely sure without trying this.  During my kick with Japanese releases it became sterling clear the easiest and most direct route was walking into a Japanese specialty goods store, of the type that only sells Japanese imported goods, and discuss your interest if they don't stock what you are looking for.  The owner normally makes regular trips to the home country or has a good contact who can adjust their inflow of products.  All of this depends on living in a major city with this type of store.  

6 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I've tried various proxies without success. Which one worked for you?

Don't remember exactly which ones now, but it accomplished little once e-onkyo.com took away the ability to use western credit cards.  I also remember their customer support people complaining about supporting English requests.  I'd like to know exactly who and why we have restrictions on western recordings.  Makes so little sense.

As I said earlier, DGG is the main label I want from e-onkyo.com, and I just received a good contact at the label.  I'll let you know if I find out something.

A very worthy alternative to pursue.  It does present a set of circumstances that incur the full weight of multiple governing entities ability to reach consensus the softer route might not trigger.  Going through channels instead of bringing something over in the diplomatic bag, if you will.  In one regard lifestyle goods from a far flung country have equal chance of seeing another shore through both.  Very limited distribution. 

I just checked - I was able to get onto the site and make a purchase of one of the new DG releases today (Karajan Bruckner DSD).

The VPN access remains tricky - they always seems to change something even after using the same app for years (FoxyProxy).

My CC saved in my account hasn't changed (AmEx) and they didn't prevent the order in processing.

Shame e-onkyo makes it so difficult for everyone to use...

Michael

4 minutes ago, brucknerdoc said:

I just checked - I was able to get onto the site and make a purchase of one of the new DG releases today (Karajan Bruckner DSD).

The VPN access remains tricky - they always seems to change something even after using the same app for years (FoxyProxy).

My CC saved in my account hasn't changed (AmEx) and they didn't prevent the order in processing.

Shame e-onkyo makes it so difficult for everyone to use...

What VPN/proxy worked for you?

3 minutes ago, brucknerdoc said:

FoxyProxy

I've been trying to use it for the last hour with no luck.

I signed up for a month and selected Japan as my country but neither the VPN nor the proxies is working. FoxyProxy says my IP address is in Japan but e-onkyo still thinks I'm outside Japan so the purchase buttons are grayed out. 

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I've been trying to use it for the last hour with no luck.

I signed up for a month and selected Japan as my country but neither the VPN nor the proxies is working. FoxyProxy says my IP address is in Japan but e-onkyo still thinks I'm outside Japan so the purchase buttons are grayed out. 

FoxyProxy has two ways of connecting: setup thru the browser and the other is system wide

In the past, it never really seemed to matter - but lately e-onkyo has become more and more clever...

I found today that the only way to connect was setting up the VPN thru the System Preferences (I'm on a Mac...) and using a browser in Private Mode (Safari worked)

HTH -

Michael

6 minutes ago, brucknerdoc said:

FoxyProxy has two ways of connecting: setup thru the browser and the other is system wide

In the past, it never really seemed to matter - but lately e-onkyo has become more and more clever...

I found today that the only way to connect was setting up the VPN thru the System Preferences (I'm on a Mac...) and using a browser in Private Mode (Safari worked)

HTH -

No luck. :(

I'm on a Mac as well and set up the IPSEC VPN as instructed. Tried using Safari and Chrome in Private/Incognito Mode but no luck. Even tried clearing the cookies before visiting the site. 

Ironically, I have an active e-onkyo account, Japanese CC, and address in Japan...

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

I've opened a support ticket with FoxyProxy. I'll let you know if they provide any useful advice.

@brucknerdoc

The issue seemed to be the Japanese IP address that FoxyProxy originally assigned me. They sent me a new one and everything now works fine. Wonderful service from FoxyProxy, especially on a weekend. 

Thanks again for your help.

• 1 month later...

Posting this kind response from Universal Music:

"The 24/192 PCMs you would like to buy are local Japanese releases. Most of our digital release are international releases that are usually available to a large group of business partners. We now need to a find an easy solution how we can give customers outside Japan access to the Japanese releases. This is partly a DG issue, as you heard from Louise Spencer, but it also involves Universal Music entities. Hence it is not that easy to resolve. As Universal Music is currently undergoing a number of changes in the digital supply chain, my colleagues' priority at the moment is to make sure that the new process is working. I hope for your understanding and patience."

Looks like the labels are trying to keep up with technology just like the rest of us.