IGNORED

Grateful Dead RFK Wash DC 1989, what say you?

Anyone have this, or had a chance to listen?

http://www.dead.net/store/1980s/rfk-stadium-1989-box?intcmp=home/carousel1

There a few samples on the web page that appear to have good sound quality.  $50 for 24/192 kHz, two shows. I'm not sure about this one, but I am sure my wife and kids would be delighted.

You can also get the hard-copy CD box set, if you like retro packaging:

grateful-dead-jfk-breakout-square.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a non-copyrighted Ultramatrix soundboard recording if you would like--or BitTorrent freely from bt.etree.org...search *ultramatrix on the Grateful Dead--they will pop up.

Grateful Dead - July 12, 1989
RFK Stadium - Washington, DC

Recording Info:
Ultra Matrix SBD > Cassette Master (TDK MA-XG90)

Transfer Info:
Cassette Master (Nakamichi CR-7A) > Tascam DA-3000 (DSF 1-bit/5.8 MHz) >
KORG AudioGate 4 > Adobe Audition CC 2015 > Samplitude Pro X3 Suite > FLAC/24
(1 Disc FLAC)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
[email protected]
November 14, 2017

Notes:
-- Two sets of master were used to make this show complete
-- You can hear the rain hitting the ambient mics in the first set
-- Sugaree and Man Smart (Woman Smarter) with Bruce Hornsby on the Accordion
-- This file set is 16 bit

Set 1:
01 - Tuning
02 - Touch Of Grey
03 - New Minglewood Blues
04 - Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo
05 - Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
06 - Far From Me
07 - Cassidy
08 - Friend Of The Devil
09 - Promised Land

Set 2:
10 - Sugaree
11 - Man Smart (Woman Smarter)
12 - Ship Of Fools
13 - Estimated Prophet >
14 - Eyes Of The World >
15 - Drums >
16 - Space >
17 - I Need A Miracle >
18 - Dear Mr. Fantasy >
19 - Black Peter >
20 - Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore:
21 - Encore Break
22 - Black Muddy River

19 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Nakamichi or not, that is still cassette based - I am very fond of the Plangent Process, which is used on their official releases

No argument there.

You have caused me to research the Plangent Process and the interview with Jamie Howarth.

I can only imagine how much better they may sound than Charlie Miller's Ultramatrix offerings. I listened to 7/12/89 last night, with Bruce Hornsby in the second set on his accordion, and the sound quality was exceptional. (And that was a 16/44 recording, the flac24 has not been seeded.)

When asked about the taper section, Jerry Garcia is often quoted as saying after the show has concluded, he was done with that music, and he would make more the next show...therefore he didn't care if someone taped the concert.

I don't feel as though, on my limited budget, spending $49 is within my grasp--so although it may not be the same, the Ultramatrix release sounds very good to my 61-year old Deadhead ears.

Indeed!

The Dick's picks and Dave's are a good collection. I have purchased Dick's up to 12 or 13. I like the back story, why that show was worthy. I know the feeling that if Jerry Garcia played, it was a good show. I can attest that ain't true. It helps to have someone pick choice shows.

The official release is a soundboard and Charlie's torrent is an UltraMatrix (soundboard mixed with Healy's audience mics live at the show).   The two sound different, but both sound excellent!  The UltraMatrix puts you more realistically at the event, but the official release has greater separation of instruments.  

The 24bit of Miller's seed is available and seeded at Lossless Legs.  I'm currently seeding just incase everyone else bolts.  You can join Lossless Legs here https://www.shnflac.net/index.php 

Here's the page at LL with the torrent https://www.shnflac.net/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=ae99a7ff3ca8d75e77f1f78b964e2dae7dfa87c4

I don't know if that link will work unless you are signed in, but I'm sure you can find the torrent if you join.   I'm an admin at LL.  If you do decide to join LL, please be kind, and read the rules, no copyrighted material or bands that don't allow torrenting of their music is allowed at the site.   My handle is the same as here- Memphiskat (no I'm not from Memphis, long story LOL).  Message me at LL if you need help finding the torrent.  Everything at Lossless Legs eventually ends up on bt.etree.org so the 24bit might be seeded there now, haven't checked.    

On 2/22/2018 at 10:58 PM, wgscott said:

I sat next to Jello Biafra on a flight from SF to London once about 10 years ago.

You went right over my head--I was thinking that the Grateful Dead were playing at the two Kennedy stadiums--in DC and Philly...and I knew there was a band The Dead Kennedys...