IGNORED

Article: iFi Audio: A Highly Modern Approach to Product Design and Marketing

Hi sdolezalek,

Many thanks for your article, which I read with interest. I am not a technical person so apologies for my very simplistic grasp on the audio equipment market, which I see as simply boiling down to two parts - software and hardware.

The manufacturer can choose to either upgrade the hardware by manufacturing a complete product from a series of upgradeable modules (Linn has been doing this for 40 years with their LP 12 turntable) or more recently by firmware such as Auralic with it's versatile and inexpensive Mini streamer.

Devialet currently offers both.

I therefore don't see iFi's approach as being unique or ground breaking, however, I do get your point that KEF missed an opportunity to "build in" an upgrade path with their excellent wireless LS50.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

13 hours ago, Ajax said:

The manufacturer can choose to either upgrade the hardware by manufacturing a complete product from a series of upgradeable modules (Linn has been doing this for 40 years with their LP 12 turntable) or more recently by firmware such as Auralic with it's versatile and inexpensive Mini streamer.

Devialet currently offers both.

Ajax:  Thank you for the comment.  The difference between the "upgradeable module" approach, which often requires that the equipment is sent back to the manufacturer, thus putting it out of commission for a week or longer, and what iFi has done, is that iFi has separated these modules into standalone products of their own, each with a much lower price-point than the combined whole.  That also allows consumers to upgrade one product at a time, while maintaining compatibility with the other products.  I haven't yet seen others do this.  

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

16 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

Ajax:  Thank you for the comment.  The difference between the "upgradeable module" approach, which often requires that the equipment is sent back to the manufacturer, thus putting it out of commission for a week or longer, and what iFi has done, is that iFi has separated these modules into standalone products of their own, each with a much lower price-point than the combined whole.  That also allows consumers to upgrade one product at a time, while maintaining compatibility with the other products.  I haven't yet seen others do this.  

Hi sdolezalek,

Thanks for the clarification.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Just $0.02 since this is a generalist/business article: iFi's ecosystem is a bit overblown for me. The individual pieces or combination of functions makes for a confusing product line which makes me turn to other manufacturers.

I like iFi products in principle but I find their product line too "confusing," meaning I spend more time than I would like trying to figure out what I "need" let alone want. Their marketing is a wee bit slick for my taste (e.g., noise reduction from fighter jets?!?) so combined with the feature and product confusion, I've found I buy other brands because they're "easier" to understand and thus pull the trigger.

Still, I own two of their iPower adapters and am toying around with the idea of an iTube. Yes, after having spent more time than I wanted reading up on these devices! So maybe having two or three offerings for each step in the digital chain works for them, and that's largely what matters in business. And I'd have to admit a little more choice is often better than less.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

17 hours ago, feelingears said:

Just $0.02 since this is a generalist/business article: iFi's ecosystem is a bit overblown for me. The individual pieces or combination of functions makes for a confusing product line which makes me turn to other manufacturers.

I like iFi products in principle but I find their product line too "confusing," meaning I spend more time than I would like trying to figure out what I "need" let alone want. Their marketing is a wee bit slick for my taste (e.g., noise reduction from fighter jets?!?) so combined with the feature and product confusion, I've found I buy other brands because they're "easier" to understand and thus pull the trigger.

Still, I own two of their iPower adapters and am toying around with the idea of an iTube. Yes, after having spent more time than I wanted reading up on these devices! So maybe having two or three offerings for each step in the digital chain works for them, and that's largely what matters in business. And I'd have to admit a little more choice is often better than less.

Agree with this. It's extremely difficult to figure out which piece(s) you need. Names are also similar, which adds further confusion.

I've also found that dealers are also uninformed. It's more than they can keep up with. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2018 at 6:27 PM, feelingears said:

I also agree with this. I consider myself an iFi "early adopter", as I have an iFi Micro iDSD for almost 3 years now, a product that is very easy to understand, which has served me very well. I just got an iPower now but I am not really sure if I should have got an AC purifier or a DC purifier first though (or all of them?). And understanding the differences between an iDefender and an iSilencer is just too much for me without a simple "comparison tool" on their website!

@Home: Flac\'s - Squeezebox Touch - Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - Creek Destiny - Proac Response D15[br]@Work: Flac\'s - JRiver Media Center - USB to Nuforce Icon HDP - Shure SRH940