IGNORED

Anyone in Seattle or Portland with a Signature SE or Trifecta

I hear so much talk about this or that being the best music server.  I have a nice computer based unit that delivers amazing SQ through internal storage.  I believe my unit it is a good example of a linear powered computer with isolated drives and motherboard. I'm kind of curious how an Endpoint unit like a Sonore Signature SE or a SOTM Trifecta stacks up against it.  I love to entertain and would be happy to share an evening or weekend day with a fellow audiophile comparing the two units. I am also happy to bring my unit to someone's place.  Its easy to move since its self contained.  I can easily go to Portland on a weekend as I have places to stay there. 

Is anyone up for a shootout?   Let me know. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Thought I would bring this to the top again.  Anyone in Seattle?  I have done a bit of work with my server and feel I am getting very good sound.  I would like to perform a head to head comparison to get a better understanding of what I am getting and what other products are producing.  Please reach out if you have a decent server and some time to share a listening session.  

KingRex, where are you located? I am 25 miles north of Seattle!  

Sam 

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.

On 1/26/2018 at 6:12 PM, KingRex said:

I hear so much talk about this or that being the best music server.  I have a nice computer based unit that delivers amazing SQ through internal storage.  I believe my unit it is a good example of a linear powered computer with isolated drives and motherboard. I'm kind of curious how an Endpoint unit like a Sonore Signature SE or a SOTM Trifecta stacks up against it.  I love to entertain and would be happy to share an evening or weekend day with a fellow audiophile comparing the two units. I am also happy to bring my unit to someone's place.  Its easy to move since its self contained.  I can easily go to Portland on a weekend as I have places to stay there. 

Is anyone up for a shootout?   Let me know. 

I work with Sonore.  We used to make custom high end music servers.  My final server (R and D project for Sonore) was totally tricked out: custom OS (Linux based), carefully chosen MoBo, fully powered off the grid by LiFePO battery supply (not attached to any charger), separate USB output card (SOtM) with an isolated, ultra low noise separately regulated (discrete linear regulator), various tweaks to reduce RFI internally, etc, etc...

When the microRendu was introduced, my server was retired and now it gathers dust taking up space in my house.  Since the introduction of the microRendu we have learned a lot about how to make Ethernet distributed audio even better, and I have never heard a better USB source than the Sonore Signature Rendu SE.  Getting all the commercial computer crap away from the audio system is a big benefit for sound quality, and I am 100% confident that Ethernet distributed audio is the best way to get the best possible sound quality from digital audio.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I would like to here the Sonore. Just for kicks.  Why do you think no users post about it here. Why has no one compared it.  Why is it supposidly great and only $3k with PS included, but people are spending $7k for the Innuos.  

I thought I read comments that the Ultra Rendu work better when fed with a linear PS server, so you end up purchasing 2 units.  Is that true.  If so, does the Signature require the same to perform its very best.  

Also, I assume endpoints need a better switch such as "thelinearsolution " to work their best.  True or not.

I have personally had 2 very knowledgeable people, both with very expensive analog systems, one also being a manufacturer say my digital setup is very musical and far better than my analog.  At some point I feel we are splitting hairs between digital equipment and getting a flavor that is slightly different, not a sonic improvement.   Setup is probably  more important than the unit.  As in, power from the wall, cords, Ethernet cable, switches, isolation  etc.  If I can be cooking in the other room and my digital music draws me into the living room, makes me sit and listen in awe,  well, do I need anything else.  I think that's all we want.  I get that from a Computer based Server.  Maybe yours can do the same.  No longer do I state one topology is better than the other.  3 people have now said my setup is just wonderful as it is.  And, I only use a $3k DAC.  

Still, I hear the Signature is great, but only from dealers, not users.  Not bagging, just hoping someone will post a comparison between the too.  As I said above, its super easy to transport my unit.  I would love to share some time with a fellow music lover and compare some digital playback.  I am more than happy to host too.  I dont have a great switch at this time, but I do have cat 6 and only 15 feet of it to my switch and router.  I may have thelinearsolution switch in the next week it so.

Let me know anyone.  

30 minutes ago, KingRex said:

I would like to here the Sonore. Just for kicks.  Why do you think no users post about it here. Why has no one compared it.  Why is it supposidly great and only $3k with PS included, but people are spending $7k for the Innuos.  

I thought I read comments that the Ultra Rendu work better when fed with a linear PS server, so you end up purchasing 2 units.  Is that true.  If so, does the Signature require the same to perform its very best.  

Also, I assume endpoints need a better switch such as "thelinearsolution " to work their best.  True or not.

Hi King.  First of all, I would suggest that you not believe everything that you read.  A couple of observations to your questions:

The Signature Rendu is our top of the line product, and we sell far fewer of them than the ultraRendu, as many more audiophiles can afford the more affordable product.  Not everyone posts on forums, for every audiophile who posts on forums there are likely 100 that never do.  The feedback we get directly from customers of the Signature Rendu has been very, very good, but it has been a little frustrating that people still do not know all that much about it.  Mostly, I suspect those with the Signature Rendu are too busy listening to music to spend times on forums.

I am not familiar with "Innuos" but will take a look...

There are a few people who are doing what I consider "extreme tweaking" with the gear which precedes their Ethernet endpoint, and those people are also very active on this forum.  These people are are very vocal here, but they are also a very small minority of those who use Ethernet based audio.  Just from the volume of posts made by these folks I would suggest that they are more interested in system tweaking and "the gear" than they are in actually listening to music.  There is nothing wrong with that, but I do think their constant forum posts do create a bit of a mythology about what is "necessary" to make Ethernet audio sound fantastic.  Most of our customers do not engage in all this Ethernet tweaking, in fact, the reason for using Ethernet distributed audio in the first place is that it makes the computer gear before the Renderer mostly a non-issue, as long as it is located away from the audio system.  As far as all the tweaks go, my advice to customers is to not bother with any of that until every other aspect (DAC, cabling, amp, speakers, vibration control, set up, room treatments, etc) are perfect, as the difference made by all of these Ethernet tweaks is minuscule if anything at all.

When Sonore exhibits at RMAF, we use a pretty straightforward set up:  Mac Mini server running Audirvana Plus, and an Apple router, and Blue Jeans cable CAT 6A Ethernet cabling.  We go direct from the router to the Signature Rendu SE, with no other tweaks beside a special low noise power supply I built for the router, and honestly, in A/B testing, I am not entirely sure I can hear a difference with the low noise power supply.  Most of our customers have similar set ups without all the tweaks you may have read about around Computer Audiophile.  We had fantastic sound at RMAF BTW, the feedback was really, really good.

Additionally, I would say if you are happy with your current server system, and have no need for better sound, then do not bother changing anything, listen to music and enjoy.  If you would like to achieve better performance though, then I would suggest considering Ethernet distributed audio, as it does offer a distinct advantage.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

So anyways Barrows, are you in Seattle.  I was hoping to find others who share a passion for good audio and have a nice digital system to compare  and contrast.  I have friends with vinyl systems that are quite fine.  I also heard one digital system, USB connected server that just put it down.  Better than pretty much any vinyl I heard anywhere.  Little pricey, but if you want the very best it seems to cost some money.  I am very happy with my setup, but know there is always some tweaking/tuning that really brings out the best.

Sorry, I am in Boulder, CO.  Seattle is nice place though, lived there for a summer once...

I looked up the Innuos, just another expensive server to me, been there, done that...

SONORE computer audio