IGNORED

I just need to stream Tidal - is the mR enough?

Hello, I would just like a very high quality streamer capable of allowing me to listen to Tidal at the very best quality I can. I am not interested in listening to music on local file libraries so I won't need a NAS for example.

My choices are either the mR, or the sMS-200 - I guess both run the same open platform OS's so, which one is better for the single task I have at hand?

I did simply consider the AURALiC Mini (or even the full blown Aries 2nd hand), which I'm sure will be easier (because it's all built in) - but for me it's ultimate sound quality that's far more important.

3 hours ago, airguitar said:

Hello, I would just like a very high quality streamer capable of allowing me to listen to Tidal at the very best quality I can. I am not interested in listening to music on local file libraries so I won't need a NAS for example.

My choices are either the mR, or the sMS-200 - I guess both run the same open platform OS's so, which one is better for the single task I have at hand?

I did simply consider the AURALiC Mini (or even the full blown Aries 2nd hand), which I'm sure will be easier (because it's all built in) - but for me it's ultimate sound quality that's far more important.

I like you only listen to Tidal. After much experimenting, I settled on Roon/Tidal --->mRendu. There are many ways you can set this up but for me this was the best combo that I could find.

1 hour ago, airguitar said:

That would mean me making an additional investment in a Roon Server - can’t I just play Tidal direct from either the mR or sMS-200 without additional servers etc?

I do have a dedicated Roon hardware server but you can run the Roon software on most laptops and desktops. I tried this and I found that the dedicated hardware server (Small Green Computer) sounded much better. Probably because Roon is running in an isolated environment without 140 +other processes running with it. Just my guess.

Try several options until you find the one you like best.

So does this conclude that I can’t run Tidal directly from the sMS-200 or the mR without the help of Roon or any other supporting computer?

I sorta want it simple if possible else the more things in the chain the more things I have to optimise like the Roon computer in your case.

3 hours ago, mozes said:

For Tidal you don’t need anything. Plug your smartphone to your dac and you are good to go. To get the best SQ, get an Iso Regen before the DAC and you will be impressed.

I’ve just read up about the ISO REGEN and wow - is it really that good in that it totally cleans and regenerates your USB source so that corruption is no longer a worry from source!!?? 

Equal perhaps to using say an mR or sMS-200 (or equal to the supercharged versions of both)?

Well life would be easy if that were true. In fact that would have me purchase an AURALiC Mini with ISO REGEN between the Mini and external DAC thus adding femto clocks into the equation!

18 minutes ago, airguitar said:

I’ve just read up about the ISO REGEN and wow - is it really that good in that it totally cleans and regenerates your USB source so that corruption is no longer a worry from source!!?? 

Equal perhaps to using say an mR or sMS-200 (or equal to the supercharged versions of both)?

Well life would be easy if that were true. In fact that would have me purchase an AURALiC Mini with ISO REGEN between the Mini and external DAC thus adding femto clocks into the equation!

Try it there is no risk. Iso Regen is available from the good guys at Uptone with money back guarantee and you already have your phone! 

55 minutes ago, airguitar said:

So does this conclude that I can’t run Tidal directly from the sMS-200 or the mR without the help of Roon or any other supporting computer?

I sorta want it simple if possible else the more things in the chain the more things I have to optimise like the Roon computer in your case.

Have a look here:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/27851-sonicorbiter-tidalqobuz-setup-with-openhome/

• 2 months later...

I too am very interested in finding a way to access Tidal through my microRendu without using Roon and its additional subscription fee.  I currently have my library on an SGC MicroJukeBox and use its Squeezebox Server, and run Squeezelite on the mR.  I control the song selection from my iPad running iPing to access Squeezebox Server.  Is there a way using Squeezelite on my mR to access Tidal using my iPad??  Or what do you recommend in my case?

2 hours ago, davew002 said:

I too am very interested in finding a way to access Tidal through my microRendu without using Roon and its additional subscription fee.  I currently have my library on an SGC MicroJukeBox and use its Squeezebox Server, and run Squeezelite on the mR.  I control the song selection from my iPad running iPing to access Squeezebox Server.  Is there a way using Squeezelite on my mR to access Tidal using my iPad??  Or what do you recommend in my case?

There is a Tidal plugin for squeezebox server. https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/201871191-Squeezebox

1 hour ago, esmit said:

There is a Tidal plugin for squeezebox server. https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/201871191-Squeezebox

+1 for that plugin. @davew002 I run LMS (Squeezebox Server) on exactly the same server, an SGC microJukebox, with Squeezelite on an ultraRendu. Works great except Tidal is limited to 16/44.1 with no MQA of any kind for now, if you're into that sort of thing. Other favorite plugins include Qobuz (hi-res streaming), the Radio Paradise FLAC stream, and "Band's Campout" (Bandcamp).

Rather than going to the ickStream website, you can just log in and install it from the App Gallery: https://www.mysqueezebox.com/appgallery/WiMP

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

First thing you can't do when using either an mR or sMS-200 is stream MQA files to your DAC. Unless you are using Roon - then using either the mR or sMS-200 as a Roon Endpoints - because Roon does has access to MQA files.

The advantage you have using a laptop is that you can stream MQA files direct from the Tidal App (without the need for Roon). There again, you can't remote control your playlist using the PC app, you can in a way using RDP or Teamviewer - but those are not elegant solutions.

However in my experience - I get a severe impact on sound quality when using a laptop - but there are tweakable ways to improve a laptop. Devices like the sMS-200 and mR are already tweaked for the highest sound quality.