IGNORED

Changing ITunes folder

I have a couple of ITunes issues. I am using OSX 10.7.5 and ITunes 12.2.2.25. Older stuff I know, but it still works.

I have my ITunes library on a NAS. This presents some issues with making sure the NAS directory is mounted in OSX. I know that there is a way to have the directory mounted at startup before ITunes loads. What is the best way to do that?

Secondly, I want to move the directory that my ITunes files are stored in from /Volumes/Multimedia/Music to /Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Classical. My understanding was if I set that up in Itunes preference and let ITunes organize the files then it would move everything over on its own. But that didn't happen. The new directory is set, ITunes did it's thing with organizing, but none of the files or directories have been moved. I have a directory with just Add to ITunes and a Plist file, otherwise it is empty. What do I need to do? It will be a pain moving them manually and then trying to get ITunes to find them again.

I wrote a script awhile back that runs as a Login Item to mount the server at launch and check that it is actually mounted *before* launching iTunes:

https://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=launchatlogin

After telling iTunes where you want the new library to be in Preferences... > Advanced, run Consolidate, (File > Library > Organize Library... > Consolidate files). This command moves all the files of the track entries in iTunes to the new iTunes Media location. 

thanks Doug, I'll try the script.

If only ITunes put the files in the folder I want them in instead of insisting that they have to be in a folder named Music. So instead of "Classical" they have to be in "Classical/music."

Time for a good rewrite of that app anyway. And now that Finder can play FLAC time for ITunes to do the same. Not that it would matter for my old MacPro.

2 hours ago, DougAdams said:

Why do you care where the files are located?

Good question. I suppose it is because I have my own logical organization in mind rather than one that was pre-chosen for me. In the end I suppose it isn't important. I'll be using the library with Linn Kazoo and my Raspberry Pi as much if not more than ITunes. But if I'm using it as a library manager I pretty much have to live with its management. :)

I looked at your script and it won't work for me on this computer as it can only run 10.7.5. However it will work on my others. I'll try it there. BTW, did you ever update Dupin? I own an earlier version that doesn't work on my newer computers.