IGNORED

Article: Schiit Audio Reference System Review Part 2

38 minutes ago, boatheelmusic said:

Just want to comment that I'm running a Theta GenV(a) DAC through the Freya and on to the Vidar, driving Maggie 3.6r or PBN Montana EPS speakers.  My listening room is 40' by 17' by 15' (10,200 cubic feet), and this setup plays beautifully and at high volumes with no audible distortion.  Alternatively, I use my VTA M125 tube monoblocks; also magnificent.  I feel no need to add a second Vidar, but may do so "just because". The Freya compares most favorably to the BAT VK-51SE it replaced, at a fraction of the cost.

Don't make the mistake of confusing Schiit with "starter" components just because they're priced like them!

IMG_1276.jpg

Very nice collection of gear! Is the amp on the stool a VTA also?

On 1/20/2018 at 1:30 PM, Ralf11 said:

Do you own SACDs?  If so, how do you convert them to a PCM format?

Yes.  I have all of them as ISO, DSF, and PCM at 24/176.4. Offline conversion was done with JRiver to PCM. If I want to play the DSD and convert to PCM on the fly I can use JRiver or Roon. 

On 1/20/2018 at 2:02 PM, speavler said:

sidenote: Tidal finally has Backspacer in their catalogue. 

About time!

On 1/20/2018 at 2:31 PM, jimx1169 said:

However, I AM a little perplexed that the reviewer's remarks in the comment section state "The Vidars aren't spec'd to drive the TADs" when I believe the specs on Shiit's website would suggest otherwise.  Mr. Reviewer, care to explain?

The review was fact-checked by Schiit. I don’t believe the Vidar when used in mono configuration is spec’d for a 4 ohm load. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 1/19/2018 at 12:16 AM, Ron Scubadiver said:

It's been frozen down in Houston.  People who grew up here say it's the coldest winter since 1973.  I love Schiit's philosophy on the DAC.  Just play PCM up to 192.  

I was in 8th grade in Houston in 1973. We had several inches of snow that stayed on the ground for several days. I distinctly remember having a snowball fight in science class, in the classroom. There was enough snow on the window ledges for about 10 minutes of such frolicking. Even the young science teacher participated, unusual at a catholic grade school. I now live in Mobile, AL, with nearly identical weather to Houston. The age old wisdom stated that we get snow every 10 years. Big ice storm 4 years ago paralyzedthe area  for 2 days. (No salt/sand depot, nor equipment, nor correct tires) now we have a winter where it snows twice in January. Schools were closed for 2 days again. (Most people in this area do not have appropriate clothing to put their kids out for bus pickup in 22-26 degree weather) My daughter lives in Minnesota (go Golden Gophers), I had to stop looking at her weather up there.

Great review Chris! Lots of details, lots of options, with nice reporting the results. While I like reading reviews of stratospherically priced gear, I feel it’s critical for respected reviewers, as yourself, to report on gear that consumers can easily obtain. Assuming that most people would be stretching to afford a pair of speakers $7K+, talking about how good this combo compares to much higher priced gear gives hope.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Nice review. What I find strange is that one would buy a second Vidar to run in mono with difficult loads, and usually these are below 4 ohms and high power. Strange that the Vidar in mono does not support that. What would be the point of running monos for light loads or 8 ohms speakers? Further noise rejection because it is running balanced? I appreciate if anyone could clarify this point.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

17 hours ago, Matias said:

Nice review. What I find strange is that one would buy a second Vidar to run in mono with difficult loads, and usually these are below 4 ohms and high power. Strange that the Vidar in mono does not support that. What would be the point of running monos for light loads or 8 ohms speakers? Further noise rejection because it is running balanced? I appreciate if anyone could clarify this point.

This is a limitation of the Vidar design. One way to overcome this is to run a couple of Vidars, one stereo for each channel, provided the speakers allow for bi-amplification. I haven’t read such a feedback and was hoping Chris would cover this in his review.

@Madra you are right, using 2 Vidars each in stereo to biamp a speaker makes a lot of sense. More than bridging them apparently.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

If I had a Freya, I would swap the stock tubes for 7N7 tubes. The 7N7 is a full electrical equivalent of the 6SN7, but somehow the construction makes it an inherently better tube. I use one in my Audio Note Kit One, and it really shines. 

They are dirt cheap - on the order of $10 per tube - so they are in line with the price level of Schiit. They do require a socket adapter, however, and that costs more than the tube. 

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

On 1/21/2018 at 2:21 AM, Madra said:

@GUTB, I do not know how much you are familiar with the CR1. I have been listening to it since its introduction in Munich High End (driven by Audionet Max monoblocks, bi amped) till today, in a close friend’s system (reference Burmester electronics). We have tested these speakers with multiple quality amplification such as Devialet, Audionet integrated, Gryphon power amps, Soulution 7 series power amps, and i am probably forgetting some, and they were very dissapointing. The fact that they worked very well with both Max monos and Burmester power amps and not with the arguably higher end Soulution should tell you something about the CR1 in particular, and component matching in general. The 7 series Soulution is the best amp i have ever heard, but is a bad match with the CR1, despite the superlative technical performance. Concluding that the Vidars are lacking because they did not match with a reference level speaker is not reasonable.

Fair enough. I am also very impressed with the Audionets which I heard for the first time AXPONA last year so it doesn’t surprise me in the least they were great with the CR1s. However it is surprising that other amps of that caliber couldn’t play well with them so perhaps I’m wrong on that point.

• 1 month later...

Maybe asking stupid questions however here it goes.

1) Would one or two Vidar's work well with Raido X-3 speakers?

2) Do Vidars play nice when using a non-Schiit pre amp like an Octave phono module?

I currently use a Integrated Symphonic Line amp. But I'd like a little bit less warmth and a bit more open sound. The low and midrange of the SL is great and its very dynamic but it lacks some sparkle at the high frequencies. When paired with the X-3.

[br]

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris, excellent article.  I'm very interested in the Vidar's, and possible with the Freya or Saga.  I use a Bluesound Node 2 along with my new Monitor Audio Silver 300's (excellent value for the money).  I'm also considering a PS Audio Stellar S300 (class A & D hybrid) as an amp.  Have you had a chance to listen to this amp?  Or perhaps more to the point - where do you feel the Vidar's fit "value" wise in the world of amplifiers?  It's quite a deal to run this amps as mono blocks as you did at only $1400, but I'm wondering if I'd still be better off with the more established PS Audio Stellar S300.  You did run those Vidar's with some VERY nice speakers, so I trust that you believe they really are that good - especially with the Focal's!  My Monitor Audio's are probably more on par with the Sonus Faber's you listened to, but I'd still love to hear your thoughts.  Cheers, and thank you again!!!

• 7 months later...
On 12/16/2018 at 9:18 PM, boatheelmusic said:

After a long test period, I got rid of my Schiit....  The Vidar's very low input impedance of only 20k ohms loaded down my preamp, and the Freya couldn't drive my amp properly, no balls.....Sounded like a good deal, but alas no free lunch.

Sounds like you mismatched your equipment.  Using the Freya with a poorly matched power amp and using the Vidar with a poorly matched pre amp.  Which power amp and pre amp were you using in combination with the Freya and Vidar, respectively?  By the way, the input impedence of the Vidar using SE is 22k ohms and 44k using balanced.

What were the Freya and Vidars together like? 

2 hours ago, boatheelmusic said:

Maybe, but that 20K input impedance is abnormally low for most amps.

And the Freya lacked "drive", not at all like my VTA SP14 delivers in spades.

YMMV, but overhyped....

Hmm.  If I compare , say, the $20k plus Moon 870A Power Amp, it has a 47.5k Ohm input impedence compared to the Vidar's 22k Se / 44k Balanced.

Or at a lower scale the Meridian G Series stereo power amp, still 3 times the price of 2 Vidars - 16k SE and 32k Balanced input impedences.

Not that any of that is very important.

'Loading down' your pre-amp as you put it doesn't really explain things very well, but I suspect pointing to the input impedence is not really what is 'loading down' your pre amp.  Maybe you just prefer the sound of the SP14. I don't think you'll find a scientific reason as to why in the spec sheets, nor will comments like 'lacking drive', 'loading down', 'overhyped' and 'no balls' help people very much.  Terms like that are should be a red flag to people seriously researching their next audio purchase.