IGNORED

Best next upgrade up from microRendu? Go for Ultra or SOtM or a Server or something else?

I was considering one of these two. Is the $550 one worth the extra money? I think they both take the same power. I am thinking if the JS-2 can power these I will use to run rail of the JS-2 to run the NUC and the other to run the UltraRendu. 

Intel NUC - Core i7 - 128GB - 8GB - Windows 10 - NUC5i7RYH $430

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-NUC-Core-i7-128GB-8GB-Windows-10-NUC5i7RYH/263428443752?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Intel NUC NUC5i7RYH Mini PC i7 5557U 3.1GHz 1TB HDD 8GB RAM Windows 10 $550

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            
 My Website  https://ctronicmusic.com/ 

Ypsilon  Bricasti  / Focal  Uptone Nordost / AfterDark / Solid Tech  

46AC9095-7EB4-4698-82FE-FC5E9E837893.png

30 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

I was considering one of these two. Is the $550 one worth the extra money? I think they both take the same power. I am thinking if the JS-2 can power these I will use to run rail of the JS-2 to run the NUC and the other to run the UltraRendu. 

Intel NUC - Core i7 - 128GB - 8GB - Windows 10 - NUC5i7RYH $430

Intel NUC NUC5i7RYH Mini PC i7 5557U 3.1GHz 1TB HDD 8GB RAM Windows 10 $550

Just confirmed.  Page 45 of the Technical Reference for the NUC5i7RY motherboards states input voltage range of 12-19VDC.  

Just remember though, the JS-2's 7A (well 7.2A if you push it) is total max for the 2 outputs (though peaks above that are fine).  A 3.1GHz i7 is likely to bring you to the limit.  So I really can not promise that the JS-2 will run both that NUC and an ultraRendu (though an ultraRendu is really only going to draw about 0.6A average at most).

Thanks so much - I have 2 x LPS-1 so I could use one of my LPS-1 to run the Ultra, Think that work well and only use the JS-2 for the NUC only? Think I will give up much sound wise going from the JS-2 to the LPS-1? Thanks 

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            

UltraRendu 

~ Fsmithjack            

1 minute ago, fsmithjack said:

UltraRendu 

Lol. I was wrong on both counts. You can do as you suggest, the final sound will be dominated by the Ultrarendu and its power supply.

The Ultrarendu is a bit on the bright (or revealing side) partnered with an LPS1 its a bright forward sound. This brightness is tamed a bit by the Isoregen. Partnering the Ultrarendu with the JS2 in my opinion would be better- a smoother overall sound with better grip and detail in the bass. Alternatively using 2 LPS1's in series, will work. I think you will need to experiment, you might just love the sound with Ultrarendu and LPS1.

I love the JS-2 with my microRendu but I want to do some upgrading.

I use a garden variety HP PC and mircroRendu 1.3 and ISO Regen because I want to use JRiver so thinking of going with:

NUC I7 with SSD HD for W10 OS and JRiver 22 powered by JS-2

UltraRendu Powered by LPS-1

txUSB Ultra Powered by LPS-1

I would love to run the ultraRendu with my JS-2 but need that to run the NUC.

I guess I could get the HDPLEX $399 linear power supply everyone uses and run the NUC with that and keep the JS-2 running the ultrarendu but would rather trying using the supplies I have.

I have a couple Breeze Audio 12v china supplies I use for my router and switch that actually sounds great and were cheap but would be afraid to use those on the NUC? 

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=263220331969&t=1506509767000&tid=10&category=14970&seller=weiliang_audio&excSoj=1&excTrk=1&lsite=0&ittenable=false&domain=ebay.com&descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

~ Fsmithjack            

7 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

NUC I7 with SSD HD for W10 OS and JRiver 22 powered by JS-2

UltraRendu Powered by LPS-1

txUSB Ultra Powered by LPS-1

What you listed may sound fabulous. You could replace the LPS1 powering the Ultrarendu with the new LPS 1.2 model coming out soon, if you needed to tweak the sound further. I would get the SOTM sPS500 power supply rather than the HDPlex. It has a smooth warm but highly detailed balance its a superior product. This would complement the Ultrarendu. Alternatively you could use it to power the server and use the JS2 for the ultrarendu, it will give you a bit more flexibility. The txUSBUltra works well with the LPS1. Your Breeze audio power supplies would need to be at least 5 amps rated, if so you could try them. The first thing I would do is slot the Ultrarendu into your current sytem and take it from there.

Thanks - I agree, ultraRendu is first. Another reason for the NUC is my PC is loud when tv is quiet which is annoying but that is kind of rare when no sound from anything so not huge but part of it. Do you think the NUC with JS-2 and SSD for OS and I7 and more ram will help sound vs my A8 processor and spinning drive? 

~ Fsmithjack            

16 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

Do you think the NUC with JS-2 and SSD for OS and I7 and more ram will help sound vs my A8 processor and spinning drive? 

It will sound better due to the JS2 low noise power supply. You don't need huge amounts of RAM for audio 4GB (8gB max) is plenty. SSD vs HDD is another debate I prefer hard discs, the biggest impact will be the JS2 not the NUC, I.M.O

Regarding your server, Instead of the NUC and i7 you could also look at the j1900 celeron processor this is used in the innuos Zenith SE.

It's a low powered 10 Watt processor. There are some ready made servers based on this. It could easily run Jriver. You could add to it SOTM's txUSB exp PCIE card with sCLK ex 48 clock, for improved USB output.  This will sound fabulous when powered with the JS2 and other upgrades planned. Either USB output or ethernet to Ultrarendu.

just 1 example of a ready made server.

http://www.mitxpc.com/proddetail.php?prod=RS-1UACT1900

21 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

UltraRegan to go with the TXUSB to replace the ISO - has anyone tried a ISO after TXUSB with both powered by LPS-1’s and Ghent Cables. I could care less about simplicity. I want better sound and have no problem running units back to back. 

Is TXUSB and ISO basically the same thing basically with TXUSB being x 3 the money for only 10% better improvement. I’ve been chasing that last 10% since day one because layering 10% bumps add up quick so if that is case I want to try one but I love my ISO but can use this on a USB hard drive. 

In my SOtM Trifecta, the IsoRegen after tX-USBultra doesn't sound as good as IsoRegen before the tX-USBultra. I think others with my same setup found the same thing too. This then adds some meat to the sound adding to the transparent, clear sound of SOtM products.

Also the USB cables before and after are important but probably best left last as a way to fine tune. Too many variables otherwise. The USPCB connector is not necessarily the best option as I found after quite a bit of testing. The short 3 inch cable included from Uptone was better for me. 

If you're using Ghent cables you can specify USB cables with the power leg disconnected. All SOtM products work  with disconnected USB power. However that also depends on your DAC and whether power is required to communicate or operate. My Vinnie Rossi DAC2.0 doesn't require USB power to operate but without the USB power can't communicate with the SOtM stack properly.

11 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Regarding your server, Instead of the NUC and i7 you could also look at the j1900 celeron processor this is used in the innuos Zenith SE.

It's a low powered 10 Watt processor. There are some ready made servers based on this. It could easily run Jriver. You could add to it SOTM's txUSB exp PCIE card with sCLK ex 48 clock, for improved USB output.  This will sound fabulous when powered with the JS2 and other upgrades planned. Either USB output or ethernet to Ultrarendu.

Great info - thank you 

This computer server stuff is stuff that I understand as a layman that has a basic understanding of pc's and how they work and what parts do what but not a build it yourself type due to never doing it so any question i have is just that based on not knowing verse any disagreement.

If I am using Ethernet out to the UltraRendu why would I focus on improving the pc usb out and clock and all that - doesn't the ultra help with all that? Trying to learn is all. Thx 

~ Fsmithjack            

11 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Guys - to use the tx-USB ultra do I need to get the ultra 200 also to take full advantage of the master clock? or can I get the ultraRendu and then choose the tx-USB ultra and not get the master clock or do i get the master clock and still use with ultraRendu. This is the kind of stuff that shows the limit of my understanding of how all these bland together? Thanks for all of the help. 

tX-USBultra

Master clock options:

Master clock connector(75ohm)

Optional power:

Optional power(6.5~8.5V)

$1,200.00
$1,200.00
× sMS-200ultra_F sMS-200ultra
sMS-200ultra:

sMS-200ultra

Master clock options:

Master clock connector(75ohm)

Optional power:

Optional power(6.5~8.5V)

ROON license:

With a 2 months Roon free trial license

If I am using Ethernet out to the UltraRendu why would I focus on improving the pc usb out and clock and all that - doesn't the ultra help with all that? Trying to learn is all. Thx 

~ Fsmithjack            

35 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

Yes if you are going to use the ethernet out to ultrarendu no need to improve the pc's USB. If using Sotm's USB PCIE card then no need for Ultrarendu.

1) PC/ ethernet - Ultrarendu- txUSB Ultra (you could also keep your Isoregen before txUSB Ultra)

or

2) PC/SOTM (txUSBexp+ sclk48 = USB out)- txUSB Ultra

hope its clearer now.

perfect - thanks what I thought. I love my regular rendu so looking forward to the ultra - so does this looks like a good set up and should i tweak any of it.

NUC I7 with HDD rather than SSD. with SSD I will need an external storage for music but the NUC with HDD that is also $150 less I can not have to bother with external music storage. 

-- Question: Should I get a NUC with SSD for OS and get eternal supply to store music or can i just get a NUC with HDD and be done with it. Prefer this if I don't give anything up in sound quality.

So here is how it is starting to look and take shape - thoughts - help - changes - tweaks and all info welcome and appreciated. Bold is new stuff I am buying.

-- FiOs Quantum Gateway Router powered by Breeze Audio 12v China Supply to switch via Audioquest Forest

--

-- NUC I7 powered by JS-2 then

-- Audioquest Forest RJ/E to

-- Netgear GS108 switch ( while waiting for Super Dads switch) powered by Breeze Audio 12v China Supply then

-- Cardas Clear RJ/E to

-- UltraRendu powered by ???? (loves/need idea's here)

-- USPCB to ISO Regen powered by LPS-1 then

-- Curious Regenlink USB Mini-USB Cable to tx-USBUltra (without master clock) powered by LPS-1 then

-- Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB Cable to 

-- Bricasti M1SE USB in  

So it looks like I still need to decide on how to power the UltraRendu and with the NUC do I get a HDD or SSD and external option for storing music. If I use a USB attached storage I have an Amber Regen I can here also with iFi supply I already own also.

Am I missing anything here? What do you think? Decent digital upgrade here? 

There is a used Lumin U1 for $3500. Does that beat this set up hands down? I don't care about simplifying or any of that I am purely after sound quality. I have no problem using a bunch of tech as this shows if in the end the sound quality is better.  I don't care about simple I can about sound quality and want the best I can without spending crazy month on a dedicated server only that may only help a little. Thanks 

~ Fsmithjack            

35 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

Guys - to use the tx-USB ultra do I need to get the ultra 200 also to take full advantage of the master clock? or can I get the ultraRendu and then choose the tx-USB ultra and not get the master clock or do i get the master clock and still use with ultraRendu. This is the kind of stuff that shows the limit of my understanding of how all these bland together? Thanks for all of the help. 

To clarify its a mater clock input to use with a master clock such as SOTM's new reference clock ( not yet released ) or something like the MUTEC M10. You can link it to either the txUSB Ultra or sMS200 Ultra or both simultaneously. The M10 has 8 inputs. You can use the Ultrarendu with a txUSB Ultra with master clock input, or the sMS 200 Ultra and txUSB Ultra both with master clock inputs.

10 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

-- UltraRendu powered by ???? (loves/need idea's here)

-- USPCB to ISO Regen powered by LPS-1 then

Definitely you are on the right path. you could try the Ultrarendu with the new LPS 1.2 if things were a bit too bright then you could swap the USPCB with a lush USB cable just as a tweak. If you weren't too worried about loading times then a large HDD would be fine. Alternatively an SSD for OS and an external attached storage HDD via USB would work.

so does this mean I do or dont need to get the master clock with the tx-USB and what cables should I get and 75 or 50ohm?

~ Fsmithjack            

26 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

There is a used Lumin U1 for $3500. Does that beat this set up hands down?

How about this?

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/innuos-zenith-mkii-1tb-hdd-music-server?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZHTBRCBARIsAMbXLhEvVdf23I5LEECfnZw89jOpxAHa0cDpkJqY3lDxhfXL_ygLCk5iCBoaAtcvEALw_wcB

Innuos zenith Mk ii as server, ethernet out to Ultrarendu (use the js2 with Ultrarendu), possibly add txUSB Ultra with LPS1

or Innuos zenith Mkii as server, USB out to tx USB Ultra.

50ohm or 75ohm depends on Master clock choice May @ SOTM recommended 50hm to me.

wow that looks great. there is no one in the us to sell these? too bad. could i use with with just my iso regen and power supplies? money does come into play if i added something like this - I might be able to swing that? Does it use jriver or prob its own server software?

~ Fsmithjack            

i think it might be 220v not 120v that we need on this side of the pond

~ Fsmithjack            

9 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

wow that looks great. there is no one in the us to sell these? too bad. could i use with with just my iso regen and power supplies? money does come into play if i added something like this - I might be able to swing that? Does it use jriver or prob its own server software?

It uses its own software and has its own power supply, so yes you can use your own power supplies further down the line I'm sure you can get a US version, it will be much better than the NUC and you could slot it right into your setup. On its own it would beat what you have right now.

15 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

I got the Innuos to simplify my setup so that I could go server directly to my DAC. However I still had my ISO Regen and an LPS-1 sitting around so I tested it between the Innuos and DAC. I found it didn't seem to add anything as I couldn't hear a difference. 

Whereas with my Microrendu in my previous setup the ISO Regen definitely improved things. My working theory is that the USB from the Innuos is already very good. 

I've read that the TX-USBultra improves the USB of the Zenith SE, so it must do likewise with the MKII. 

I would highly recommend the Innuos but it doesn't tick your JRiver box. 

Also FWIW I think if you're going to get a TX-USBultra then pairing it with an SMS-200ultra and potentially the modded switch (see Crux Audio) would make more sense than pairing it with an ultraRendu. The TX-USBultra secret sauce is the sCLK-EX clock, so pairing it with the SMS-200ultra and harnessing the clock synergy would seem a more logical approach. Just my two cents. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

yes so money wise it would be 200ultra and tx-usb ultra with clock with nuc or Innous. The innous is actually about $600 cheaper so maybe a better option. Do you think the one in the add that attached to this post will do 120v?

Thanks

~ Fsmithjack