IGNORED

Best next upgrade up from microRendu? Go for Ultra or SOtM or a Server or something else?

3 hours ago, ismewor said:

Yes, it is.

I had the M1 with the netcard Yes, it is much better than the USB connection. But then you will need a much better switch and router. I use the TCXO router from TLS which make a huge jump in sound quality. (And if you do that you don't need the 200 ultra, but than you need a much better server)

Your P10 is much better than the Furman

It is an improvement from ISORegen

Great info - so what do you think - this is the land of growth for me. 

ideas:

So I could get TCXO router and what server do you think would be a good option?

Thanks so much! 

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            
 My Website  https://ctronicmusic.com/ 

Ypsilon  Bricasti  / Focal  Uptone Nordost / AfterDark / Solid Tech  

46AC9095-7EB4-4698-82FE-FC5E9E837893.png

8 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Is it the ultra or the SoTM or something else.

If you look on the ultra thread here people who upgraded from a mRendu said it was a noticeable improvement.

On the Sig Rendu SE thread most said that was a further improvement, even if you already owned a Rendu device powered by the Signature Power Supply. 

At audiostream.com they did a shootout between the Sig Rendu SE and the 3 piece SOtM  "stack" and had a slight preference for the SOtM stack.

Take all of the above with a grain of salt and just buy what most appeals to you.  You can never know for sure what will be "best", unless you have both in your system to compare. You can't really go wrong with any of these. They will all give you great sound on a level that you probably wouldn't notice any difference  at all unless you did a direct A/B. and even then it will be small. 

Will be interested to hear your comparison of the Bricasti card to whatever external solution you get. 

8 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

this stuff is always changing - who cares - just want the best I can for the best price I can - what am I going to do sit home and wait for something to be invented - I assume you guys are just joking on that one. Why buy anything when something tomorrow maybe better comes along  / I’ve never done that in my life and never will. That’s like the old lady putting the plastic on her couch or my buddy who has a beautiful Rolex but keeps in his draw so he doesn’t scratch it. Wear proudly and enjoy it. Ware out that couch and get another one in 5 - 10 years. Have some fun... 

Pretty much agree. You can always wait for the "next best" thing and you will never get anything. Of course some people can't afford to keep buying more stuff every few years so they are more cautious. To each his/her own. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Because my digital beats my analogue I was thinking of flipping my table for Aurender N10 but honestly I’m after the sound. The best sound and don’t care about simplifying anything at the expense of sound quality. 

Dutch review of M5 where he prefers it to the more costly N10:

http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/bricasti-m5-network-player/

Using RAAT and any server running Roon Server, M5 not only offers more sonorous bass and a more luscious midrange, its overall sound quality is all the way at the level of the four times as expensive Aurender N10 music server, and that makes it almost a bargain!

YMMV.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

7 hours ago, One and a half said:

Next week I'll be home to commission the M5 and let you know how this works and how it sounds. I do have a quite a few DSD files, Roon can convert using software, and they sound very good indeed. In my case, it's possible to locate the M5 at the computer end and use the existing CAT5 cable with Ethercon connectors over 25m as AES3 and into a 100 Ohm to 75 Ohm transformer, or a Mutec MC-1.1 (optional). DSD is played as 176.4 PCM. I'd rather not use the house network as the switches and routers will just add trash to the signals, the facilities to run direct are there, so why not use them. It may mean some tricky with starting a DHCP server software on a non server PC, but there are ways around this for the computer savvy.

Will be interested to hear what you think. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the M5 as a source upgrade, as it seems to be one and there is a limit how much I want to spend. The M5 seems like a relatively good bang for the buck in the high end of USB sources. 

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Will be interested to hear what you think. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the M5 as a source upgrade, as it seems to be one and there is a limit how much I want to spend. The M5 seems like a relatively good bang for the buck in the high end of USB sources. 

The intent is to use AES3 or the coax S/PDIF out to the DAC and avoid USB. Still mulling whether to reclock the M5 output and introduce another box that could colour the sound with high leakage currents, impeding the gains of the re-clocking.  

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

3 hours ago, One and a half said:

The intent is to use AES3 or the coax S/PDIF out to the DAC and avoid USB. Still mulling whether to reclock the M5 output and introduce another box that could colour the sound with high leakage currents, impeding the gains of the re-clocking.  

I will probably try the AES too, I guess `I should have written “`USB capable”.

13 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Great info - so what do you think - this is the land of growth for me

Yes, you are on the right direction.

13 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

So I could get TCXO router and what server do you think would be a good option?

Even better if you can get the OCXO router or switch. it is a step about the TC version.

As for the server, you can get one off the shelf, or build your own. However, couple main items is a must.

1. Linear Power Supply (ATX Linear, this is the best if build correctly. which doesn't burn your hand when touching it. around 400w)

2. Clock Mod for the board. which include USB or NetCard and chipset. (This can be done by using JCAT and Sotm exp) If the mod is not available.

3. Software (This which you need to explore and try. Roon, HQ, JRiver etc)

This is the start but there still doesn't have an endgame just yet. the sky is the limit.

Hope this help.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

1 hour ago, ismewor said:

Yes, you are on the right direction.

Even better if you can get the OCXO router or switch. it is a step about the TC version.

As for the server, you can get one off the shelf, or build your own. However, couple main items is a must.

1. Linear Power Supply (ATX Linear, this is the best if build correctly. which doesn't burn your hand when touching it. around 400w)

2. Clock Mod for the board. which include USB or NetCard and chipset. (This can be done by using JCAT and Sotm exp) If the mod is not available.

3. Software (This which you need to explore and try. Roon, HQ, JRiver etc)

This is the start but there still doesn't have an endgame just yet. the sky is the limit.

Hope this help.

yes this is super helpful - so do i need a usb board or clock upgrade if I am using either: UltraRendu, Bricasti M5 Ethernet Card or SOtM 200Ultra? All of these handle the Ethernet to audio function so why would I need a clock or usb board - i am only asking because I don't know - not because I am questioning the idea's - they are great ideas which I love but I am not a build my own kind of guy but wish i was just don't have the time or skills but think its awesome. 

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            

On 1/18/2018 at 8:21 AM, beerandmusic said:

sorry, didn't see that in the list...i see it now in your signature, but it wasn't on your list...now that i look at your post, i realize how stupid i was for not reading before responding (grin).

~ Fsmithjack            

16 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I would pm austin pop directly.

He has compared sotm and rendu and has just moved to the INNUOS.  I don't believe anyone here is more respected that would have better insight for you here regarding those 3 products (e.g. rendu, sotm, and innuos).

is the lower end INNUOS any good - this stuff changes so much spending $6 dimes on a product that will be bettered in a few months is sort of a painful idea - how about this one - its expensive but not over to the top like the exclusive only 100 made one.

ZENITH MK.II STD

Our flagship model, designed for Audiophiles who want to extract all the detail and dynamics out of their music on high end hi-fi systems.
RRP: € 2 699

~ Fsmithjack            

Guys - how - where do i buy a paul pang switch and do i need router and are these must adds or should i change microRendu first to SOtM?

~ Fsmithjack            

Thx 

~ Fsmithjack            

12 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

is the lower end INNUOS any good - this stuff changes so much spending $6 dimes on a product that will be bettered in a few months is sort of a painful idea - how about this one - its expensive but not over to the top like the exclusive only 100 made one.

ZENITH MK.II STD

Our flagship model, designed for Audiophiles who want to extract all the detail and dynamics out of their music on high end hi-fi systems.
RRP: € 2 699

The Zenith MKII is very good! 

I'm currently burning in the SE but my only reservation is just how good the MKII is at less than half the price. 

Also re switches I would hold off to see what Alex aka Superdad has up his sleeve. Could be very exciting! If you want to move sooner I'd take a look at AQVOX in Germany rather than Paul Pang. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Yes I’m waiting on the switch - I have a plethora of Super Dads dids, I’m a fan - 2 x LPS-1, 2 x Regens ISO/Amber and a JS-2 and a couple USPCB’s so looking forward to switch options - I’m considering at this point after  all the great feedback here to do:

UltraRegan to go with the TXUSB to replace the ISO - has anyone tried a ISO after TXUSB with both powered by LPS-1’s and Ghent Cables. I could care less about simplicity. I want better sound and have no problem running units back to back. 

Is TXUSB and ISO basically the same thing basically with TXUSB being x 3 the money for only 10% better improvement. I’ve been chasing that last 10% since day one because layering 10% bumps add up quick so if that is case I want to try one but I love my ISO but can use this on a USB hard drive. 

I also need another server option.

i want to run JRiver not Roon.

i a/b and they are not close. IMO in my system with my set up the way it is I find JRiver to be around 15% better which is not insignificant.

The network with EQ shaping options on JRiver just sound more natural to me. 

I use a run of the mill decent HP PC with good PC cable plugged into my PS Audio P10 and it was better than Sonic Transrotor I5 -

what is a not crazy expensive option that will let me run JRiver. This I need help with?

Will anyone on here build me one for a few? 

Is A NUC with Solid State hard drive for OS run by Linear Power Supply a upgrade? 

is there anything else? 

I dont have time, patience or skill to grow my own. Is there anyone on here that will build me one for a fee? 

So I’m thinking to wait for super dad to get a switch upgrade then

- get a ultraRendu and get TXUSB and run both via LPS-1 although for the record I find my regular rendu sounds better when power by my JS-2 verse a LPS-1. I like it much better. I also use one of Alex bespoke cables here verse the Ghent cable. 

With this I need a better server for JRiver, Ultra/JS-2, TXUSB/LPS-1 so now what server.

To find a player that offers JRiver and Ethernet is tough? 

I wish the sonic transporter I5 could use JRiver. 

~ Fsmithjack            

Re the JRiver server thing I think you need a Windows based server rather than something on a proprietary platform such as the Sonictransporter. 

Take a look at the Nimitra range (going from memory they support JRiver but I wouldn't swear on it). 

Or something like the Pink Faun range. Not sure where you're based. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

I am in Boston MA.

Guys how about this. I will use with ultrarendu so don't need the spdif out but it looks like it has everything else that might be nice and not crazy expensive. Has the good power supply and jriver and made for audio so would love your thoughts on how this would match with ultraRendu and SOtM TXUSB combo.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649407631-soundscience-musicvault-emerald-ultra-music-server/

Soundscience MusicVault Emerald Ultra Music Server

Here what he wrote in the ad: (I3 processor with 16 ram) 

I purchased this unit a little over two years ago from the manufacturer. It came with only a USB out. A year ago I sent it in for a serious software upgrade and the removal of the USB out, replacing it with an RCA coax output. It eliminated the installation of DAC drivers.

The unit is in excellent cosmetic condition and operates with no issues. This is one of the simplest media servers to operate requiring very little computer knowledge. If you can go to a website, type in a couple of passwords, do a few mouse clicks you have it mastered. It uses JRiver for library management, DBPoweramp for ripping (a 40-45 minute CD typically will rip in less than two minutes).

The server operates on WiFi eliminating the need to hardwire to a router. 2TB storage.

~ Fsmithjack            

Just now, daverich4 said:

Or a Mac.....

If you don't object to Apple adding software to start lowering the bitrate after 2 years :P

Joke about the IPhone scandal where Apple admitted deliberately slowing IPhones after 2 years to encourage users to buy the latest greatest. 

But humour tends to fail if it needs explaining! 

Hey Alex,

i’m Considering a NUC I7 with SSD for OS that runs windows so I can run JRiver. They are 19v do you think my Uptone Audio JS-2 run at 12v would work or do I need to get another power supply?

Thanks 

~ Fsmithjack            

50 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

i’m Considering a NUC I7 with SSD for OS that runs windows so I can run JRiver. They are 19v do you think my Uptone Audio JS-2 run at 12v would work or do I need to get another power supply?

Most all of the newer NUC (last 2 years) do have motherboards that can run from a wide range (12V up to 24V as I recall).  (Remember, there is noting in a computer that runs even from 12V--it gets dropped way down for the all the circuits.)

They mark the back panel 19V, and even their glossy literature and spec sheets may say 19V.  The trick is to look at which motherboard they list as being used (usually linked on the NUC's product page), then drill further into  the Intel site for the full spec/manual for that motherboard.  Go to the Power section and you will see the full 12-24V range listed.

Certainly current-wise the NUCs are never any problem for a JS-2.  Our unit will happily pump out 12V at up to 7 amps all day long (and will be only slightly more than warm at that full current).  A typical NUC will draw far less tan that.

If you have a specific NUC model you are interested and would like me to dig in an double check for you, I am happy to do that.  Either shoot me a message or post it here.  :)