IGNORED

Need Advice on Computer Speakers and Sound Card

I have PC which I built for both gaming and music listening purposes.  For headphones, I have two pairs of the Audio Technica ATH-M50X for music and Logitech G430 for gaming.  I am currently shopping for a sound card and 2.1 desktop speaker solution for my computer. 

For the sound card I need it to handle surround sound in gaming, do well with music listening and have proper shielding from electrical and electronic interference.  I listen to film score, classical, new age, electronic, rock, and pop music.  I am currently leaning toward the Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, but I am open to suggestions on other reliable internal and external sound cards designed for both music and gaming.  The price range that I am looking at for the card is around $250 or less.  I am currently ruling out Asus due to experiencing problems with a number of their products.    

For the speakers, I want a 2.1 setup that handles gaming, movies, and music and can last for years.  I am looking at a price range of around $200 or less.  Right now the only speakers that I am ruling out are the Logitech Z623s because I have bought two pairs over a four year period and they each only lasted two years, which I felt was a ripoff for the price tag that I paid.  

My music formats are Apple Lossless Audio Compression (ALAC) and iTunes Plus on Windows 10 64-bit.

Thanks.

I see you are just starting your audiophile journey.

Sound cards are for legacy machines and 90's reenactors.  Get a USB DAC with built in headphone amp.  Then to cure yourself of wearying and boomy bass, a set of Swans M10.  Do not double amp powered speakers like these by getting a DAC that acts as a speaker amp as well as a headphone amp.   

I think this site will give you a lot better idea on how best to deal with the limitations of lower end speakers.  If not the tenets of audiophiledom.

good overwiev of computer-based audio can be found here.

Also check this to get an idea about what we are doing here. Much to learn.

You are better off getting an external-dac like rando has suggested.

You would probably be blown away by your first active-speakers.

You have to save some cash for bigger budget thought. You don't want to put them simply on your desk.

Get proper big-stands + isolation, so that you preferably end up with the tweeters in line with your ears.

For europe you should definitely check out thomann for a good variety of studio-monitors and even some advise.

With that basis you should experiment with speaker placement! pretty much most important step.

Check out Hans Beekhuyzen's channel on youtube for that and even more ^^

From there on it's all up to you and your budget for further refinements. Good Luck and have fun!