IGNORED

Basic Question Network effects

Let me clarify a basic question with you experts:

As long as there is no direct cable connection, does it play any role for sound quality, where the audio file is stored as long as they can be received properly?

Example and assumptions

• Audio files on a Synology NAS, no PSU upgrade required, no tweaks required, placed away in a different room
  • CAT / LAN connection to a switch and from there to a WLAN-Access point , no updates or expensive gimmicks required
  • Signal received by a media bridge (such as as Asus, discussed on this forum) in the same room with the Stereo equipment
  • LAN cable into SOtM SMS200Ultra and from there into DAC

I am only asking about the chain Synology NAS to SotM:

Assumption. Only chance for a sound degradation comes with the LAN connection from the media bridge to the renderer and its PSU (the media bridge).

Correct? 

Thanks, 

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Experiment. Try it both ways: with the NAS as described and then move it into the room, connecting it more directly on the same physical segment.

Your ears are your best tools here otherwise you are just going to receive plentiful theories. In your own home all that matters is what sounds good to you.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

True, and I will do that. However, it is interesting to hear other people's opinions and that is what this and such forums are about, aren't they? 

It was more a technical question because a lot of people are talking about bad power and PSUs, the need for expensive CAT cables and Hifi-centric switches and finally PSUs for NAS. So I wonder if this only applies for the case in which they are all physically connected...?

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Why do you need s switch betwee the NAS and the WLAN access point?  Can’t you just run Ethernet from the NAS to the AP?

I’m not being facetious, it just seems like an extra connection. 

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +