IGNORED

Announcing the next generation: UltraCap LPS-1.2 (Now 5/7/9/12V! ; Now with parallel LT3045 regulators!)

22 minutes ago, Superdad said:

That's disappointing but good to know.  Thanks Paolo.

tried both, Alex

the one piece one *might* work (barely plugs in but it's probably enough to make contact) just... it's not "firm" enough and moves by just touching either the cable or DAC

a different model with a thinner, and *oval*, part around the USB micro plug will work, but I couldn't find any

or... one might cut away some plastic above and below the plug ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

as I had to take everything apart to install the LPS-1.2 delivered this morning I took a caliper and... Qutest's USB micro is inside a "recess" measuring 9.9x12.8mm (HxW)

hope this helps :)

Qutest_5v.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Many thanks. According to the manufacturer’s website, it’s 9.2 x 12.3 so it should fit. Now all my friend has to do if try and buy a Qutest — easier said than done as Chord tell him it’s available in the US, but here in the UK dealers are being told it’s not available! I’d be interested to hear the with/without LPS-1.2 comparisons, here or on Listening Impressions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2018 at 11:59 AM, JohnSwenson said:

Hi All,

I finally had some time to take a production LPS-1.2 into the listening room and try it out! 

I have an ultraRendu powered by an LPS-1 (powered by a JS-2), feeding a Bottlehead DAC (DAC I designed about 5 years ago), The DAC was powered by the new LPS-1.2 (which was powered from the same JS-2).

I was not prepared for this. It was jaw dropping. I've been alternately crying, smiling like an idioot, and getting goose bumps. I thought I had this system sounding incredibly lifelike, wonderful to listen to, as good as it was going to get. Boy was I wrong! Just this addition of the new power supply on the DAC transformed it yet again.

First off was the bass, WOW, this has all got to be just perception but it seems like it is shaking the room much more, with less "boominess", that I didn't even realize was there. Not only does it sound "more there there" but I can now hear subtleties in the bass line I never noticed before. Like one song has TWO bass players, I never realized that before, now it is obvious.

The whole sound field seems much richer now. The transformation over time as my system improved, went from a kind of haze over the whole space which got energized by instruments and voices, like looking in fog, the light sources tend to light up the whole space, but individual source are spread out and indistinct. Then the fog went away and I could hear individual instruments and voices, but they were kind of grainy and the whole thing felt a little "thread bare". The previous incarnation, was filling out the sound field and the graininess was gone. But with the LPS-1.2 the whole sound field  is much richer and full and each sound source has so much more detail and finesse, like going to 4K HDR from DVD.

But it's not "etched" or hard or any other form of hyper detail, it is just organically "there", not hidden but not pushed forward either.

And this is just CD rips.

Summary:  WOW.

John S.

Hi John S.,

What USB cable are you using there between your ultraRendu and your DAC?

Still using old faithful, the Supra High Speed Certified USB Cable?

Or have you gotten fancy ! :-)

Cheers

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi John S.,

What USB cable are you using there between your ultraRendu and your DAC?

Still using old faithful, the Supra High Speed Certified USB Cable?

Or have you gotten fancy ! :-)

Cheers

I'm using a USPCB, the ultraRendu sits behind the DAC, sitting on a book to get the height right. I'm using the DIY interconnects that are very flexible so I can bring them out between the DAC and ultraRendu. The only problem with that configuration is I can't see the lights on the ultraRendu. The system changes frequently and it would be nice to see the lights when I'm trying to get the system up and running in a different configuration.

John S.

33 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

I'm using a USPCB, the ultraRendu sits behind the DAC, sitting on a book to get the height right. I'm using the DIY interconnects that are very flexible so I can bring them out between the DAC and ultraRendu. The only problem with that configuration is I can't see the lights on the ultraRendu. The system changes frequently and it would be nice to see the lights when I'm trying to get the system up and running in a different configuration.

John S.

Nice, thanks John.

Are you using an Ethernet cable with a 90-degree connector or did you just sharply bend a stock standard ethernet cable?

Could you post a pic :-)

2 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Just a regular Ethernet cable.

John S.

With the 90 degree USPCB to turn the ultraRendu on it's side?

I had trouble getting an ethernet cable in there when using the 'regular' USPCB but I just realised the 90 degree USPCB should solve that issue if turning the ultraRendu on it's side. An issues with doing that?

5 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I had trouble getting an ethernet cable in there when using the 'regular' USPCB but I just realised the 90 degree USPCB should solve that issue if turning the ultraRendu on it's side. An issues with doing that?

I used the regular one, but the 90 degree one is fine to use if it helps get things in and out. Just make sure the ultrRendu is properly supported so the USPCB is not supporting the whole thing.

John S.

21 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

I used the regular one, but the 90 degree one is fine to use if it helps get things in and out. Just make sure the ultrRendu is properly supported so the USPCB is not supporting the whole thing.

John S.

Roger, thanks John.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 4:43 AM, pl_svn said:

as I had to take everything apart to install the LPS-1.2 delivered this morning I took a caliper and... Qutest's USB micro is inside a "recess" measuring 9.9x12.8mm (HxW)

Qutest_5v.jpg

Why oh why did Chord not use a barrel connector!

On 2/28/2018 at 9:43 AM, pl_svn said:

Qutest's USB micro is inside a "recess" measuring 9.9x12.8mm (HxW)

Ah, I was looking for that measurement!  I just got in a bag of 20 DC2.1 barrel to microB adapters with an oval molded housing.  My digital calipers have it measuring 9.9mm x 12.2mm.  So width is perfect and height will be a snug fit.

If anyone wants one, just put a note in the Special Instructions box of the YourCart checkout page when ordering an LPS-1.2 and I'll toss it in for free.  If you have a pending order and want one, just shoot me a message.

5ab4572cb3f87_DCbarreltomicroB.thumb.jpg.12f147cba23813652ce8e41dd90ad13b.jpg

Got my eye on a Qutest - & will first up try the js-2 on it, given austinpop’s recent praise re the Mytek. I’ll prob get a ghent modded cable.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:48 AM, Bricki said:

My wife is a vet and I asked her about this... Apparently it used to be a widely held belief (she was originally taught this at university as well) that all gingers were male and for whatever reason it isn't true.... However, it is far more likely for them to be male... In Australia, where we live,  she reckons female gingers are becoming far more common and (at a guess) about 30% of gingers she treats are now female... Sorry for the poor explanation - she said something about  DNA mapping and that all tortoise shell cats were a particular gender ? but I can't remember which... My ultraCAT ?lps1 is still going fine and I would love to order the 1.2 and Iso - hopefully I will be able to afford it towards the end of the year.

Thanks for the fantastic products and service Alex and John ?

Very interesting. It is something I have known for a while.

In general: Ginger Tabbys are/were male and Tortoise Shells are female. 

It has to do with genetics - I don't know the details- but it has to do with dominant genes. E.g. If a couple with brown and blue eyes have children, the children will in general have brown eyes. 

@Superdad

I suppose parallell is still impossible. 

Before you said a more powerfull version. Let’s say around 2A, would maybe be as muche 4 times the price. Or maybe even more ?

Is this still the case, or are you guys seeing a possible more powerful option without breaking the bank. Like below 1K maybe ?

I have no idea if there is a market for a more powerful version. 

I would probably used it on a HTPC, maybe a NUC, and for sure my SonicTransporter. 

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

I suppose parallell is still impossible. 

Before you said a more powerfull version. Let’s say around 2A, would maybe be as muche 4 times the price. Or maybe even more ?

Is this still the case, or are you guys seeing a possible more powerful option without breaking the bank. Like below 1K maybe ?

I have no idea if there is a market for a more powerful version. 

I would probably used it on a HTPC, maybe a NUC, and for sure my SonicTransporter. 

2A would not be enough for an HTPC, a NUC, or a SonicTransporter.

15 hours ago, paulmckwan said:

Anyone has experience powering FMC with LPS ?

I'm connecting my Devialet ethernet to a FMC as I playback by Roon Air.  Thanks.

Several folks are using these for their FMCs only $12

I compared these to the $50 Ifi ipower and noticed an improvement. I just threw away the SMPS wall-wort adapters that came with the FMCs.

Cheers,

https://www.jameco.com/z/DDU120050F0981-6-Watt-AC-to-DC-Regulated-Linear-Wall-Adapter-12-Volt-0-5-Amp_162996.html

On 9.3.2018 at 8:32 AM, Em2016 said:

If I have understood @Superdad correctly, there will at some time be an extended version of the USPCB that will as an example work with the 90 degree Metz Ethernet connector. 

Present I’m also using the 90 degrees USPCB between UltraRendu and the SU-1.

lifting the SU-1 up in order to make this work. Also using a 90 degree Oyaide DC plug. 

See also the USPCB tread. 

On 28/03/2018 at 1:06 AM, paulmckwan said:

Anyone has experience powering FMC with LPS ?

I'm connecting my Devialet ethernet to a FMC as I playback by Roon Air.  Thanks.

Yes I am. Much better than the ifi power supplies. I am using a LPS1. Ultrarendu with Sbooster.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alex, just a quick inquiry- are you still thinking the LPS 1.2 batch scheduled to ship this week is still generally on schedule?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

10 hours ago, Blake said:

Hi Alex, just a quick inquiry- are you still thinking the LPS 1.2 batch scheduled to ship this week is still generally on schedule?

Hi Blake:

You--and 114 other people--have just now been sent the below update via e-mail:

---------------------

Dear valued UpTone Audio customer:

You are among the 115 people who placed and order for an UltraCap LPS-1.2 or ISO REGEN/LPS-1.2 bundle between February 27th and April 11th. About half of you had your original shipment promise date extended from March 28th to today, April 12th. The rest of you were promised—at the time of order—shipment this next Tuesday, April 17th.

It is with a heavy heart that I bring you news of a short further delay. During testing we discovered an incorrect value of resistor (actually 2 of the same value) was installed on all the circuit boards of this second run of 250 units. This has prevented these LPS-1.2 boards from passing our rigorous quality control test process.

It took almost a week of day-and-night testing on the part of my engineer partner, John Swenson, to identify the cause of the issue. Now that we know what it is, it is a simple matter to install the correct value resistors and run the boards through the test-cycle again.

However, these are very small surface-mount parts—about the size of a grain of rice—so the work is best left to our circuit board assembly house. They have agreed to perform the changes very quickly for us. The boards have been FedEx’ed to them today, and assuming they also receive the resistors tomorrow, the work will be done over this weekend and the units sent quickly back to us.

As soon as the circuit boards arrive back, we will fully test, assemble and begin shipping orders. The 60 people with the earliest orders (#7043 and below, originally promised March 28th, then April 12th) can expect to receive notice of shipment this coming week—by April 19th.

We do feel confident enough to promise that the rest of your orders (#7044 and above, originally promised for shipment April 17th) will ship to you not later than April 26th.

Timely delivery of products to our clients is very important to us. Please accept my sincere apology for this unforeseen delay.

What is most important is that you receive from us perfect functioning products that exceed your expectations. That is something we will NEVER compromise on.

As always, your business, your enthusiasm, and your patience are all greatly appreciated. We promise this will be worth the wait.

If any of you have questions please contact us at any time.

Sincerely,

Alex Crespi

P.S. Many people have requested a microUSB version of our popular USPCB A>B Adapter. (For use with DACs such as Chord and other brands with microB USB input jacks.)  We are pleased to announce that these are now in stock. (If you have an ISO REGEN/LPS-1.2 bundle on order and wish to change your USPCB selection to the new microUSB, just e-mail us soon.)