Superdad

Announcing the next generation: UltraCap LPS-1.2 (Now 5/7/9/12V! ; Now with parallel LT3045 regulators!)

Rate this topic

I am very happy to wait a little longer for my orders and I am excited to have the latest version on the way soon.  The additional flexibly is great.

Thanks again for the great gear!

--RJF

Hi Alex and John,

Congratulations on the launch of the  LPS-1.2!  The specs look great!

I am curious about the new smps energizing supply. Will you be selling this with the ISO Regens as well? Are there models of different voltage available in this product line?

Thanks,

Larry

So, there is some kind of cleverness going on here (with switching around between s-capacitor banks) that allows a 7.5V charging/source power supply via the LPS1.2 to generate 9V or 12V output voltages (without using some kind of DC - DC converter), yes???? :-)

3 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Speaking of cleverness, is there a "buck and boost" device for amperage?

I have devices for which 1.5A would offer a comfort cushion for their draw of 1+ A and 1.1 does not do it.

Apparently I am not alone since I troll a forum where posters are ganging 2 and 3 LT3045 boards to get over higher amperage.

Sorry BigGuy.  All the stuff I was explaining is what goes on on the input, charging side of the LPS-1.2.  Nothing can change the fact that the wonderful LT3045 is just a 500mA regulator (we use 2 of course and push them a bit to deliver a total 1,100mA).

The folks who are paralleling separate LT-3045 boards for more current need to be very careful--with matching to within a few milliVolts--or they will end up with one board bearing much more of the load.  I've hand-paired a few LPS-1 boards in the past to allow for parallel connection and higher current, but that is not a service we offer.  

Of course series connection of units for higher voltage can always be done by anyone. :)

Building a higher current UltraCap supply--say based on 6 LT3045s--would require larger everything!  Larger ultracaps, larger case, heat-sinks, different charging circuits, larger energizing supply, etc.   Don't anyone hold their breath for this from us!  x-D

As I write this I see a notice that John also replied.  Bet he says almost the same thing...

38 minutes ago, Adyc said:

A quick question. If I use LPS-1.2 to power a network switch, do I still need to use JSGT DC cable connected to the switch to stop high impedance leakage from network?

Yes, the OUTPUT of the LPS-1.2 is NOT grounded. The LPS-1.2 is isolated from input to output. The fact that the SMPS shipping with the LPS-1.2 keep high impedance leakage out of the LPS-1.2, it does not ground the output.

The specified switches only shunt leakage when the switch's power supply is grounded. Since the output of the LPS-1 is not grounded, it will not shunt the network leakage.

John S.

57 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Im guessing there might be an Uptone switch on the horizon that fixes all this! 

That would be great. I will definitely buy this switch. 

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I want to stop working on power stuff for a while and get working on all the clock analysis stuff so we can get a good handle on all this clocking stuff and build some equipment where we really KNOW what is going on, I have a feeling this will be far more game changing than another power supply.

John S.

Congratulations Alex & John on the new LPS. (Unfortunately) I have enough power supplies now but will be following the ongoing clocking adventure and looking forward to any future products. You are leading the field!

Nice work guys.  I know you put in some long hours and a lot of effort.  Thanks in advance for helping to improve our SQ.

Will you be offering a trade in upgrade from v1 to v1.2 ?