This piece by Blake Morgan was published and then deleted by Huffington Post today.  It's a really interesting perspective on streaming and the music industry.

https://thetrichordist.com/2018/01/08/the-slippery-slope-of-censorship-huffpost-pulls-story-critical-of-spotify-ahead-of-ipo/

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 3 weeks later...

The Copyright Royalty Board of the U.S. Library of Congress decided over the weekend to bump up the amount streaming services like Spotify and Apple Inc. have to pay songwriters for interactive streaming by roughly 44% over the next five years. Under the new ruling, streaming companies will have to pay 15.1% of their revenue to songwriters and music publishers, up from 10.5%.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

• 1 year later...

Spotify is getting serious about banning ad blockers ... starting March 1 Spotify may suspend or terminate your account unless you disable your ad blocker.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3070768/spotify-will-soon-ban-your-account-if-you-use-an-ad-blocker

I like spotify. Its really my favorite.  I'm finding the unfold of FLAC makes a soft kind of washed out sound. Ergo Tidal and Qobuz are good, but serious listening is a lot better via my NAS.   Spotify premium is not that bad as far as sound quality.  If your just passively listening their selection of "Especially for You" is great.   

On 2/9/2019 at 7:08 PM, KingRex said:

I like spotify. Its really my favorite.  I'm finding the unfold of FLAC makes a soft kind of washed out sound. Ergo Tidal and Qobuz are good, but serious listening is a lot better via my NAS.   Spotify premium is not that bad as far as sound quality.  If your just passively listening their selection of "Especially for You" is great.   

Interesting, so yu are suggesting that you experiment better sound quality with Spotify than Tidal or Qobuz flac?

On 2/9/2019 at 10:08 AM, KingRex said:

I agree as I struggle constantly and swing back and forth between Spotify and Tidal (and now Qobuz).  You cannot beat the user specific playlist curation as Spotify has awesome algorithms.  Tidal is trying with their new "My Mix" curated playlists but they still trail way behind Spotify and Qobuz is not even in the same galaxy as they have no user specific curation that I can see.

I agree that when doing passive listening (like background music) it is great to have playlists as they are a means of new music discovery.  But the SQ difference is too much for me so I am back on Tidal for the moment and waiting hopelessly for that hi res tier in Spotify to some day magically appear.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

• 8 months later...

Spotify's latest results indicate 31% growth in premium subscribers YOY to 108 million.  They are doing really well.

If even a small percentage of these users experienced CD quality streaming with good quality audio equipment, demand for better audio systems would see a significant increase.  You have to get the customers exposed to good sound.

If Starbucks put a decent sound system into their flagship cafes and streamed CD quality music, I think the light would go on for a significant number of people once they returned to listening to Spotify on Beats headphones.

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2019 at 11:06 AM, Ralf11 said:

Starbucks here have a lot of glass window area to overcome - nice idea tho (for those who use Starbucks much)

I invested in a nice Rancilio Espresso machine and had it modified with a digital control unit.  My coffee is much better than Starbucks but I am wondering if I could make it taste better by plugging my machine into a power conditioner or maybe bring in a dedicated 20 amp circuit to it.  (oh sorry wrong forum).

I have been trying to research Spotify and Ogg Vorbis.  Since my last past here, I have settled in on only a Spotify subscription but I have sinced replaced my amp with a Class D, put in a SR orange fuse and got a Wireworld power cord for it.  I am very happy with my 320 kbps streams.  Because I source from a Macbook and both apps do not take exclusive control, I could have both Amazon and the Spotify app active at the same time and could do an AB test with the same song (Norah Jones "Come away") and play the song in unison in 10 second clips and I honestly could not tell the difference nor could my wife.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available