IGNORED

MELCO Equipment

Thanks @bobfa.

I would like to be able to download music and rip my CDs to a NAS/Player (with or without a built in DAC) and then connect to a standard 2 channel amp.  I am looking for something simple, something without the drama of a computer in the mix.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

NOMBEDES,

The Melco devices do not have a DAC so you need that.  You hook the Melco up the the Internet for a few things like software updates and CD info lookup.  The Melco did not used to connect to things like TIDAL but with the control app you can do that now, my experience was poor with that part of the device but it was six months ago on that last generation hardware..  You do not need the app if you can navigate the small display and simple keypad to get around your music.  Note that some folks really do not like the Melco software and they install minim server on it.  

If you attach a USB CD drive to the Melco you can rip music to FLAC or WAV.  I am not sure if they have added others.  You can also attach a USB drive and backup the Melco.

It is a very basic device that is mostly a single purpose player of music.  The hardware appears to be of good quality.  I have not done extensive sound quality analysis.  When hooked up to an Ayre QX-5 and Ayre amps to several types of really good speakers.  The sound is outstanding.  

Now depending upon your needs and your budget there are a lot of other ways of solving this problem.  IF your sound quality needs are not lofty then the Bluesound Vault 2 is an interesting device also.  Different idea for what it does but solves some of the same problems.

How many CDs do you need to RIP?  What is the rest of your system?

--RJF

PS Backup early and often and listen a lot!!!

4 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

Thanks @bobfa.

I would like to be able to download music and rip my CDs to a NAS/Player (with or without a built in DAC) and then connect to a standard 2 channel amp.  I am looking for something simple, something without the drama of a computer in the mix.

Have you considered INNUOS?

Innuos has a very good integrated ripper and a much better OS than Melco.

Some say Innuos sounds superior to Melco.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

@matthias  thanks for the info.

From a quick read of the INNUOS web site, it looks like the management software is very powerful.

I was not aware of this company.  Looks promising.  INNUOS is a UK company?  I don't know how if they have much of a market in the US.

@bobfa

I have a very modest system.  Yamaha AS 2000 amp with a Yamaha C 2000 SACD player.  I use Joseph Audio Perspective speakers augmented with Salk 12in  Subs.   I presently stream with SONOS (which is compatable with INNUOS (!!).

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

20 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

From a quick read of the INNUOS web site, it looks like the management software is very powerful.

I was not aware of this company.  Looks promising.  INNUOS is a UK company?  I don't know how if they have much of a market in the US.

@bobfa

I have a very modest system.  Yamaha AS 2000 amp with a Yamaha C 2000 SACD player.  I use Joseph Audio Perspective speakers augmented with Salk 12in  Subs.   I presently stream with SONOS (which is compatable with INNUOS (!!).

if you're going to get an innuos, then you should upgrade the sonos device -- it's limited to 16/44 and built to a price point.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
2 hours ago, jcn3 said:

if you're going to get an innuos, then you should upgrade the sonos device -- it's limited to 16/44 and built to a price point.

Yes, I understand.  Not sure how much I would use the SONOS if I go with INNUOS.  Is Wyred 4 Sound the only company that upgrades the SONOS wifi?

3 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

There is a very dedicated distributor in US:

http://wellpleasedav.com/

and eight dealers.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

On 12/01/2018 at 8:47 PM, NOMBEDES said:

Thanks @matthias.

Any idea on the best DAC to use with a INNUOS music server?

The Innuos Zenith range do both USB and Ethernet output really well. So any DAC that performs well with either (or better still both) of these is good. 

I chose the Zenith in part because my PS Audio Directstream dac handles both well and it offers an element of future proofing should any technical advances occur that gives either format a distinct advantage over the other. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

2 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

Thanks @BigAlMc.

we are on the same page!  I am looking at PS Audio and Benchmark.

FWIW the Zenith MKII and Directstream are a magical combination and the addition of the Zenith pushed my system to new heights. 

No experience of the Benchmark, but have read great things. But Innuos and PS Audio are both really easy to recommend based on my experience to date. 

Was always curious about the Melco too but again have no direct experience. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

PS look at the Darko review of the Innuos Zenith SE as he pairs it with the Directstream (which he also rates as one of the best DACs in his DAC index)