IGNORED

Qobuz coming to U.S.

45 minutes ago, timbo said:

Of course they are French

I had no idea they are crazy about Nutella in France.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/29/french-investigate-nutella-deal-brawls

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, timbo said:

I can't stand Tidal's over emphasis on urban dance music...

The thing about Tidal that mystifies me is how they completely disregard their customers preferences in mailings, in log-on screen offerings etc... I have over 100 classical music album favorites, not one pop music favorite, and they are constantly sending me rap crap mailings. They don't have a clue how to market to their customers.

I will drop them immediately when / if Qobuz makes it to the USA.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I subscribe to both and find Qobuz occasionally has stuff that Tidal doesn't and vice versa. It's not surprising that Tidal has a strong emphasis on hip hop, given it belongs to a rapper. Qobuz definitely pitches to an older demographic (dare I say it, including most members of CA). Neither of them costs very much when you consider what they give you. No wonder neither of them can turn a profit.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

9 hours ago, sockpit said:

Why wait?  ?. I hated Tidals endless promotion of rap and hip hop. You’re right that it’s just bad business.

Why pay in pounds, when in a short while you will be able to pay in $ ? 

Also...Why did they collect emails of USA customers for years? If they were seriously expanding, wouldn't we be the first to know about it?

I really don't have confidence that the USA expansion will ever happen. But I will sign up as soon (if) it does.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

9 hours ago, Snowmonkey said:

I subscribe to both and find Qobuz occasionally has stuff that Tidal doesn't and vice versa. It's not surprising that Tidal has a strong emphasis on hip hop, given it belongs to a rapper. Qobuz definitely pitches to an older demographic (dare I say it, including most members of CA). Neither of them costs very much when you consider what they give you. No wonder neither of them can turn a profit.

Who owns Tidal should not dictate intelligent marketing decisions.

I make my own herbal teas. I recently bought some herbs from a company that sells herbs, vitamins, etc.. I started getting mailings from them that not only included herbs that I bought, but very similar new herbs. Also, I looked up the ingredients to a "health bar" that was sold on their website. The very next mailing included that health bar plus similar others, plus the herbs.

That is intelligent marketing. If Tidal stays in business, which I doubt, they will need to target their mailings to listener's favorites. Marketing 101.

On 1/27/2018 at 4:40 PM, sockpit said:

@rodrigaj

I pay in pounds at the British website monthly.  But in order to initially sign up about a year ago, I had to establish a VPN connection via TunnelBear.  Once signed up, payment via paypal is automatic and I have not had to use VPN again, certainly not to login into the app and use the service!

Just to be clear. You live in the US, signed up on the UK site and now have full access to Qobuz without a VPN?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, mourip said:

You live in the US, signed up on the UK site and now have full access to Qobuz without a VPN?

I live in the US and I've been using Qobuz for nearly two years.  You need a VPN to sign up, but you do not need a VPN to login and stream once you are signed up.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

27 minutes ago, mourip said:

Thanks!

How is Qobuz for Classical and Jazz?

Excellent!  Much better than TIDAL.  You can get a free trial and see for yourself.  I listen primarily to classical myself.

If your VPN server is in France at sign up, you will pay 20 euros and the user interface will be in French.  If you sign up in the UK, you will pay 20 pounds sterling (more expensive) but the UI will be in English.  The best exchange rate currently is Switzerland, but that probably gets you a UI in German.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

If you sign up in the UK, you will pay 20 pounds sterling (more expensive) but the UI will be in English.  The best exchange rate currently is Switzerland, but that probably gets you a UI in German.

Price is adjusted to be equivalent for each country now by the looks of it.  I just toggled the countries on the web site and the price adjusts.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

35 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Price is adjusted to be equivalent for each country now by the looks of it.  I just toggled the countries on the web site and the price adjusts.

I still see 20 euros and 20 pounds sterling, but you are right it's 26 Swiss francs.  Anyway, the UK is expensive due to the exchange rate.  Turns out both French and German are available in Switzerland, as you would expect. 

Hmm, this is discouraging.  By the time Qobuz hits the USA (I think they said mid 2018) the price might be kind of high if current exchange rate trends continue ... 20 euros is currently nearly 25 USD.

15 hours ago, sockpit said:

Why wait?  ?. I hated Tidals endless promotion of rap and hip hop. You’re right that it’s just bad business.

I just ignore it and listen to what I want. It's not hard. Just decide you don't care about the stuff you aren't interested in.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, rickca said:

The best exchange rate currently is Switzerland, but that probably gets you a UI in German.

yes, but once you sign in you can switch. At the bottom of the page there is a flag graphic with a drop down list of all the sites and you can just pick the one you want. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

29 minutes ago, firedog said:

yes, but once you sign in you can switch. At the bottom of the page there is a flag graphic with a drop down list of all the sites and you can just pick the one you want. 

That is true on the Qobuz website.  However, once you have an account in a particular country your Qobuz app UI, email communications and pricing are determined by the sign-up country.  

37 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

For folks who have English language only limitation (me included), I think our best bet is to sign up using Euro payment via Ireland site.  Doing that will save your around 4 bucks over signing up using UK site and avoid the potential language barrier for future communication.

That's brilliant.  I forgot about Ireland.  I've been coping with French all this time.  Now I have to find a VPN provider with a server in Ireland.

5 hours ago, firedog said:

I just ignore it and listen to what I want. It's not hard. Just decide you don't care about the stuff you aren't interested in.

True, but the subscription service value is diminished. Part of the benefit of a streaming service is the discovery aspect of it. As a classical music lover, it would be nice to get a weekly mailing highlighting the new library additions to their classical music collection. Instead I receive irrelevant, tasteless, and often times offensive mailings.

BTW, I've been a Tidal customer since the first day it became available in the USA pre JayZ. Obviously, I have ignored the worse of Tidal and have established an ever increasing list of favorites with inputs from other websites, including CA. But I am looking forward to Qobuz' arrival.

12 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

True, but the subscription service value is diminished. Part of the benefit of a streaming service is the discovery aspect of it. As a classical music lover, it would be nice to get a weekly mailing highlighting the new library additions to their classical music collection. Instead I receive irrelevant, tasteless, and often times offensive mailings.

BTW, I've been a Tidal customer since the first day it became available in the USA pre JayZ. Obviously, I have ignored the worse of Tidal and have established an ever increasing list of favorites with inputs from other websites, including CA. But I am looking forward to Qobuz' arrival.

Have you explored Primephonic, a classical only streaming service?

4 minutes ago, phosphorein said:

Have you explored Primephonic, a classical only streaming service?

I have not. I heard about it, but as I recall the UI experience of online reviewers was rather negative so I never bothered to try it. The thing about Tidal and Qobuz is the integration with my preferred Lumin App on my iPad controller. The integration allows seamless comparative listening sessions between my NAS library and Tidal's library.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2018 at 4:57 PM, rodrigaj said:

The thing about Tidal that mystifies me is how they completely disregard their customers preferences in mailings, in log-on screen offerings etc... I have over 100 classical music album favorites, not one pop music favorite, and they are constantly sending me rap crap mailings. They don't have a clue how to market to their customers.

I will drop them immediately when / if Qobuz makes it to the USA.

Has it occurred to you that you might not be typical of Tidal’s subscriber base, and that it may be giving the vast majority of its subscribers exactly what they want?

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

1 hour ago, burnspbesq said:

Has it occurred to you that you might not be typical of Tidal’s subscriber base, and that it may be giving the vast majority of its subscribers exactly what they want?

No that did not occur to me. Thank you for pointing it out.

1 hour ago, burnspbesq said:

I've subscribed to Tidal since the day it was available (maybe before, I think I got in on the beta) and I've never received a mailing of any sort (that I can recall) - perhaps there are account settings that turn mailings on and off ;)

Yes, I wish they had a better / more complete classical section.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 6 months later...