IGNORED

Better Roon Endpoints?

Make sense. No wires from network. And battery power. Perfect.

And this iPhone works like any other endpoint ?  Meaning I still can use my iPad or PC and play from Roon ?

I can't see my iPhone from the other controllers. Do I miss a trick here ? 

14 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Make sure you turn off "private zone" for the iPhone zone and it should appear from other Roon Remote apps.

WoW thanks Em. Must test this.

Lightning cable right out possible if I find the correct plug I suppose.   Otherwise I must find the Apple lightning to USB plug.

if I had my Explorer2 here I could do MQA ?

9E47DDA6-0A9E-43F6-B186-C0C16FADCB41.jpeg

6 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

WoW thanks Em. Must test this.

Lightning cable right out possible if I find the correct plug I suppose.   Otherwise I must find the Apple lightning to USB plug.

No problems. You need this: 

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Check the photos. You will see a female USB type A port.

Your existing USB audio cable or adapter plugs into this, for connection to your USB DAC.

32 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

You need this:

Well, I would like to test if really need it, hence that photo :D

Or you did already maybe ?

EDIT:

Anyway I just found a Lightning to Micro USB adapter. It will do...

The other I had was for the previous Apple plug.

Also, you for sure do not need that expensive USB 3 version you linked to. That's meant for 12" iPad pro

The normal one will do.

7 hours ago, davide256 said:

Looking to start a discussion on what folks use/prefer for their Roon Endpoints. I'm floored by how good an iPhone6 sounds as a Roon endpoint feeding asynch USB, wondering what others have tried,

compared?

Is this why your selling your MicroRendu ?  :-)

Can you enlighten us if or what adapter in use ?

I can confirm my iPhone X sounded different (possibly even better?, deeper and open soundstage, but was a quick test) than a MacBook playing to a Hugo 2 over USB via Iso Regen.

For or some reason playback stops when the device is locked. More testing required. 

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Is this why your selling your MicroRendu ?  :-)

Can you enlighten us if or what adapter in use ?

Yes, I'm finding its a better Roon endpoint than the microRendu for bass and mid-range harmonics, using a CCK/USPCB connection to Schitt Eitr. The only catch is the battery exhausts rapidly with a 6plus (A8 processor), can't get more than 6 hours use before the battery goes dead. Deliberating now about buying a new iPad or iPad Pro so that  I can get at least an A9 processor ,  have phone service while playing music and hopefully longer battery life. In the FWIW column I've also tried an iPad Mini 2, the microRendu outperformed it as Roon endpoint.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, nkbg said:

I can confirm my iPhone X sounded different (possibly even better?, deeper and open soundstage, but was a quick test) than a MacBook playing to a Hugo 2 over USB via Iso Regen.

For or some reason playback stops when the device is locked. More testing required. 

You have to set the phone to never screenlock, else Roon stops when screen lock kicks in. Which is why I'm thinking dedicated iPad instead, for obvious security reasons.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

Yes, I'm finding its a better Roon endpoint than the microRendu for bass and mid-range harmonics, using a CCK/USPCB connection to Schitt Eitr. The only catch is the battery exhausts rapidly with a 6plus (A8 processor), can't get more than 6 hours use before the battery goes dead. Deliberating now about buying a new iPad or iPad Pro so that  I can get at least an A9 processor ,  have phone service while playing music and hopefully longer battery life. In the FWIW column I've also tried an iPad Mini 2, the microRendu outperformed it as Roon endpoint.

How do you exactly connect from an iPhone or an  iPad ? (USPCB won’t go to iPhone ?)

Are you using a specific Apple adapter, or just some cheap USB adapter plugs ?

Do I understand you correctly, that you’re saying there is a difference in using an iPad vs an iPhone ?

@nkbg

What cable/adapters in use ?

20 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

How do you exactly connect from an iPhone or an  iPad ? (USPCB won’t go to iPhone ?)

Are you using a specific Apple adapter, or just some cheap USB adapter plugs ?

Do I understand you correctly, that you’re saying there is a difference in using an iPad vs an iPhone ?

@nkbg

What cable/adapters in use ?

I use this , it allows an iPhone/iPad to work with asynch USB connection, so long as the  attached device doesn't draw too much power.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=97&fs=f%3Dlightning%26fh%3D458e%2B3068

A phone needs to travel with me  which creates security needs, and has extra power consumption for cellular service. A  wifi only iPad used as dedicated  Roon endpoint makes

more sense to me than iPhone as long term solution.  I can leave it unlocked and turn off all battery consuming services not needed for music playback.  Bigger devices also tend to have bigger batteries, the trick with the iPad will be to cut the screen used current to the minimum possible so that the bigger screen size doesn't offset the bigger battery.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

6 hours ago, davide256 said:

In the FWIW column I've also tried an iPad Mini 2, the microRendu outperformed it as Roon endpoint.

I understand this as MicroRende win. Correct ?

Yes, I'm finding its a better Roon endpoint than the microRendu for bass and mid-range harmonics, using a CCK/USPCB connection to Schitt Eitr.

Here you say the iPhone 6 is better, as also indicated in your fist post.

So i'm a bit confused, using two pretty good iDevices, gives so different results. If so, it would be interesting to understand why.

Or Am I missing something here ?

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

I understand this as MicroRende win. Correct ?

Here you say the iPhone 6 is better, as also indicated in your fist post.

So i'm a bit confused, using two pretty good iDevices, gives so different results. If so, it would be interesting to understand why.

Or Am I missing something here ?

yes, iPhone6  sounds clearer, reaches deeper into the recording than the iPad mini 2 as Roon endpoint. I can only guess why, my money is on faster, electrically quiet processor. I like the Mini 2, am testing it now for a battery life test as Roon endpoint but I couldn't live with it as happily as I did with the microRendu

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

10 hours ago, davide256 said:

You have to set the phone to never screenlock, else Roon stops when screen lock kicks in. Which is why I'm thinking dedicated iPad instead, for obvious security reasons.

Hi Dave

As mentioned in the other thread, I don't follow this issue you're having. My iPhone screen is locked and I never lose connection to it from my Roon Core.

If I press the home button on my iPhone (from a locked screen), I even get Roon controls on my lockscreen. See attached photo.

Actually even if stop the music, I still keep connection with my iPhone as a zone.

All I've done is turned private zone OFF. Nothing else. 

IMG_1788.thumb.PNG.106f9cadb4bb56573d7d8da792330ddb.PNG

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Hi Dave

As mentioned in the other thread, I don't follow this issue you're having. My iPhone screen is locked and I never lose connection to it from my Roon Core.

If I press the home button on my iPhone (from a locked screen), I even get Roon controls on my lockscreen. See attached photo.

Actually even if stop the music, I still keep connection with my iPhone as a zone.

All I've done is turned private zone OFF. Nothing else. 

IMG_1788.thumb.PNG.106f9cadb4bb56573d7d8da792330ddb.PNG

This is the behavior looking at status from the Roon core server with Roon running on iPhone

1) iPhone disappears as a zone when screen lock timer kicks in

2) iPhone disappears as a zone when screen lock button is pressed on right side

3) iPhone reappears as a zone when phone is unlocked after pressing home button

4) iPhone disappears as a zone when any other application is the foreground active application

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 minutes ago, davide256 said:

This is the behavior looking at status from the Roon core server

1) iPhone disappears as a zone when screen lock timer kicks in

2) iPhone disappears as a zone when lock button is pressed on right side

3) iPhone reappears as a zone when phone is unlocked after pressing home button

4) iPhone disappears as a zone when any other application is the foreground active application

Yep, I have none of these issues for all those scenarios. As per my screenshot, music is playing with the phone screen locked. Even with the Roon app in the background (other apps in the foreground).

Are you sure you've disabled private zone for that iPhone? Can you post a screenshot of your device settings (iPhone) in Roon

If you have an iPhone and an iPad you need to disable private zone for each iOS devices individually. I wish they disabled it by default.

Perhaps contact Roon Support? Something doesn't appear right. They are super helpful.

I use this , it allows an iPhone/iPad to work with asynch USB connection, so long as the  attached device doesn't draw too much power.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=97&fs=f%3Dlightning%26fh%3D458e%2B3068

A phone needs to travel with me  which creates security needs, and has extra power consumption for cellular service. A  wifi only iPad used as dedicated  Roon endpoint makes

more sense to me than iPhone as long term solution.  I can leave it unlocked and turn off all battery consuming services not needed for music playback.  Bigger devices also tend to have bigger batteries, the trick with the iPad will be to cut the screen used current to the minimum possible so that the bigger screen size doesn't offset the bigger battery.

This Apple camera adapter allows you to charge your iPhone at the same time with a normal lightning cable - check out the 2nd photo.

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Check out the 'compatibility' list and your iPhone is listed. Anything with a lightning connector is obviously supported.

Connecting a powerbank to this (like the TP Link one I linked in the other thread) would give you 18+ hours of continuous playback.

8 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

This Apple camera adapter allows you to charge your iPhone at the same time with a normal lightning cable - check out the 2nd photo.

Check out the 'compatibility' list and your iPhone is listed. Anything with a lightning connector is obviously supported.

Connecting a powerbank to this (like the TP Link one I linked in the other thread) would give you 18+ hours of continuous playback.

I'm going to get one ASAP, already have an Ankar battery I routinely use for USB port tablet charging. $59 sounds far cheaper than buying another iDevice

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 minute ago, davide256 said:

I'm going to get one ASAP, already have an Ankar battery I routinely use for USB port tablet charging. $59 sounds far cheaper than buying another iDevice

Exactly! Battery life issues disappear with this solution.

Some more info on private zones in Roon. All the issues you are having are the same issues I had before I found out that I had to disable private zones.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Zone#Private_Zones

26 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Yep, I have none of these issues for all those scenarios. As per my screenshot, music is playing with the phone screen locked. Even with the Roon app in the background (other apps in the foreground).

Are you sure you've disabled private zone for that iPhone? Can you post a screenshot of your device settings (iPhone) in Roon

If you have an iPhone and an iPad you need to disable private zone for each iOS devices individually. I wish they disabled it by default.

Perhaps contact Roon Support? Something doesn't appear right. They are super helpful.

screen shot

iphone.thumb.jpg.b60dc87d5e094edfd24fae09801a9446.jpg

Regards,

Dave

Audio system