IGNORED

Innuos Zenith SE MkII

7 minutes ago, limniscate said:

@austinpop and I haven't been able to get that configuration to work yet.

What problems have you encountered?  And what modes have you tried (Roon, DLNA/MPD, LMS).

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

It's a connectivity issue of some kind. Whenever we've tried attaching anything to the "streamer" ethernet port of the SE, we've not been successful getting music to flow. 

I'm sure it's a solvable problem, and probably isn't helped by the extra switches we're playing with - Netgear for shunting, and the reclocked switch. At some point, I might circle back and troubleshoot it, but it's not high on my list.

I'd rather see how the SE can simplify the chain compared to a trifecta, while elevating SQ. A tall order? Yes - but for a component of this price, a reasonable expectation.

Or cheaper yet, the sCLK-EX server, you pick the mobo.  For about 1/4 to 1/3 the price, depending on quality power source.  I must be beginning to sound like a broken record.  LOL

So what did Roy think of the comparison between the two, sCLK-EX server and Innuos SE?  He must have liked the Innuos to get you to spend so much for it.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

On 1/20/2018 at 1:08 PM, austinpop said:

Yes, there are some minefields in getting Roon up and running on the Zenith. There are actually 3 logical stages to this:

1. Physically copy music over to the Zenith SE's internal SSD
  2. Bring up Roon correctly on the Zenith SE, by restoring from a database backup of your existing Core
  3. Fixup the music location under Roon > Settings > Storage

Do the following first, on your existing Roon Core server:

• Make a backup to something you can access on the SE - a network share, or even a USB stick.
  • Go to Roon > Settings > Storage and note down where your music is currently stored.
  • Let's assume your current Roon Core is on a Windows machine named WinRoon, and your music is in E:\MyMusicLib

Let't take each in turn.

1. Physically copy music over to the Zenith SE's internal SSD
    • The key pitfall here is to avoid the Auto-Import at all costs!
    • On the machine WinRoon, open the Zenith network share, and copy the folder MyMusicLib into the Music folder on the Zenith
  2. Bring up Roon correctly on the Zenith SE, by restoring from a database backup of your existing Core
  3. Fixup the music location under Roon > Settings > Storage
    • You'll see the previous location you had there - [E:] MyMusicLib is broken. Right click and "Disable" it.
    • The Roon Core on Zenith will already have the Music folder enabled by default.
    • This should work. I say should, because in my case, my music was on a NAS. This was much cleaner and easier to bring up.
    • After the restore, I went to the NAS link in Storage, and selected Edit, then Browse. Since my NAS requires login creds, I had to essentially recreate the storage path to my music folder on my NAS.
    • Since then I have been selectively moving a few albums over into the Music folder, to assess "local vs. NAS" performance, but I have not yet done a wholesale copy of my (1.7TB) library over.
    • Advanced tip: by default Innuous locks you out of setting any other local storage location in Roon, but upon request, they can open up other folders for you.

In summary, don't be afraid to start over, using the steps above. It should go a lot cleaner.

Sorry for the slow reply on this and thank you BTW....

I did a remote service with Nuno ( the main man at Innuos) and he sorted it out in his code not in Roon...appears to be flawless now

I tell you what to a computer illiterate like myself these guys have champion service.....I say this in response to the poster who feels compelled to assert that he could build this for 1/3 the cost....thats maybe true ,maybe not but I can say for certain that I cannot...nor would I commission someone to do so and forgo the service guarantee ....

I can say with absolution that I can build him a house for roughly a half of what it would cost him off the same blueprints but I have seen so many people try and ultimately fall on their face....and then call me, a builder . Those people needed a pro...not to say everyone does but I wouldnt go on a DIY board and say how easy it is to build a home/addition/reno and that if you do it yourself you save 50%....

just saying

10 minutes ago, yellowblue said:

It´s possible that all of the MK2 SE are sold now. I just ordered one and my dealer told me that he got the last one for me. I need to wait until end of february to get it shipped to me. Should be fun - with tx-USBultra and DAVE.

Congrats on your purchase!

I'm 62/100 and loving mine! Should be worth the wait.

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Thanks @austinpop for the great review and that comparison with the SoTM Trifecta we're all been so interested in. Slightly less thanks though for adding substance to the theory that I might need a TX-USBultra too in order to really hear what the SE can do with USB! Dagnabbit!

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

8 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

I guess the caveat to C is that it looks like they are all sold. But given the stellar reviews and reception it's hard not to imagine Innuos doing something similar in the near future. MKIII, differently configured SE etc.

Yes, if they really plan on limiting production to 100,  and they feel that it was worthwhile economically, then they can come out with a new "flagship" - The Zenith Mk III or Zenith Ultimate SE.  I'd guess it depends on whether they feel the 100 pieces made enough profit to have a new item in the line, and if they get feedback that there's still a market for a significant number of expensive pieces (sounds like there is). 

Of course, they can also do what many companies do: just decide that it was such a success they "have to" make more.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Back by dope demand! :D

It´s a bit ironic that the SE sold out just some hours before the very positiv reviews of @austinpop and @BigAIMC. But I am very sure that Innuos has something in their pipeline to meet the expectations coming up after the SE. By the way - I decided to order the (last available) SE after contacting Sean about a possible way to upgrade the MKII.  We couldn´t find a valid way to do that by now (even if it would not be impossible to do). I was also asking him about an off-board PSU, but he wrote that this would compromise the performance of the MKII.

23 hours ago, yellowblue said:

Even if it crazy much money for a server - it was impossible for me to find a better one-box-solution with Roon, Ethernet and USB-out (futureproof) and harddisk. 

Hi Yellowblue, 

Your latest post caused me to revisit your last couple and I'm going to agree and disagree. 

Agree - 5k+ (I'm dealing in sterling and given its a European product the American cousins can do the math as they say (it's not math by the way, it's mathematics but I digress)). 5k+ is crazy for a server. No doubt. 

BUT. 

When I spent 5k on my Directstream DAC (which according to all the reviews was amazing. And really is) I discovered there was still something missing. 

I've been on a long complicated journey since then but here is my main item of wisdom earned:

There is only so much that the DAC, whatever DAC it is,  can do. It might be a truly wondrous but of technology but it's not immune to the source. 

I'm not for a second advocating that everyone needs to spend 5k each on DAC and Server. I am however suggesting that ratio of DAC:Server spend of 10:1 or even 5:1 deserves much closer scrutiny 

Just my biased 2 cents. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

2 hours ago, noel.gregoire said:

Hi all, 

after reading all the comments about Innuos a MK II is ordered... the supplyer will install ROON on it :D... and all will be connected to a Bricasti M5 ... 

no doubt it 'll be a real enthousiam listening music.

Good for you. Will be interested if you do a comparison of it with and without the Bricasti. Innous seems to think it is better without the streamer there, direct from the HD. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Good for you. Will be interested if you do a comparison of it with and without the Bricasti. Innous seems to think it is better without the streamer there, direct from the HD. 

well it'll be difficult cause i can't go directly with USB into the dac as there is a room corrector (Trinnov ST2 hifi) in between and i can only go through SPDIF or AES .... so only 3 possibilities 

1- remove the trinnov and go to the DAC through USB ( no way the trinnov is doing so good job)

2- go to the trinnov through  USB-SPDIF interface

3-use a streamer connected to the trinnov .

i do believe 3 will give better results than 2 (no consideration of costs...)

On 1/29/2018 at 9:55 PM, Advieira said:

How do you guys compare SQ from Innuos Zenith MkII or MkII SE to a proper Mac Mini Mod (MMK, Good LPS, running system from 300mb/s SXDC Card, internal SSD) serving as Roon Core to a SMS-200Ultra or Ultra Rendu?

I’ve been wondering the exact same thing. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

11 hours ago, noel.gregoire said:

Hi all, 

after reading all the comments about Innuos a MK II is ordered... the supplyer will install ROON on it :D... and all will be connected to a Bricasti M5 ... 

no doubt it 'll be a real enthousiam listening music.

Funny i am demoing the Bricasti M5 right now and i am wondering if getting the MKII would be a better than the M5, iam between one of those two choices, never thought the option of combining them only compare them to see which one is better..

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

On 1/30/2018 at 2:55 AM, Advieira said:

How do you guys compare SQ from Innuos Zenith MkII or MkII SE to a proper Mac Mini Mod (MMK, Good LPS, running system from 300mb/s SXDC Card, internal SSD) serving as Roon Core to a SMS-200Ultra or Ultra Rendu?

In the absence of a more relevant data point I'll offer mine. Alas no experience of Mac Mini, SMS-200Ultra or Ultra Rendu.

Closest I can offer is to my MicroRendu (1.4 upgrade) so almost the UltraRendu but not quite. Which I further enhanced with ISO Regen and an SU-1. And the MKII versus these three combined (all powered by LPS-1s) is no contest in favour of the MKII. The SE is obviously even further ahead.

1 hour ago, mikicasellas said:

Funny i am demoing the Bricasti M5 right now and i am wondering if getting the MKII would be a better than the M5, iam between one of those two choices, never thought the option of combining them only compare them to see which one is better..

What do you think of the M5? Compared to your present source chain?