IGNORED

Winserv 2012 or Linux?

NAIDIVER

I've used winserv2012 (in core mode) + Audophile Optimizer + Fidelizer for years. Some of my friends asked me why i don't use linux? It's better a lot.

Then i checked this out on linux website and i found there's low latency version which seem interesting for me.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

Couple of questions:

1. What do you use existing system for? Do you use it to run software and directly connected to the DAC via USB?
  2. Are all your software and DAC supported by Linux?
  3. How comfortable are you with Linux management?  Especially, potential command line requirements?
  4. What do you find in your current setup that is lacking?

I use both in my setup.  I use HQPlayer Embedded which is running on Ubuntu Xenial or Debian Stretch, depending on the system that I am using.  I am unable to identify any differences between the two OS.  I use Win10 NAA since the DAC that I have uses Amanero USB which currently does not have final firmware/drivers that support DSD 512 under Linux and Windows.

You can setup a Linux system on USB flash drive and give it a try to see if you find it better.

35 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

Couple of questions:

1. What do you use existing system for? Do you use it to run software and directly connected to the DAC via USB?
  3. How comfortable are you with Linux management?  Especially, potential command line requirements?

I use both in my setup.  I use HQPlayer Embedded which is running on Ubuntu Xenial or Debian Stretch, depending on the system that I am using.  I am unable to identify any differences between the two OS.  I use Win10 NAA since the DAC that I have uses Amanero USB which currently does not have final firmware/drivers that support DSD 512 under Linux and Windows.

You can setup a Linux system on USB flash drive and give it a try to see if you find it better.

Hi, Shadow Light. Thanks for the answer.

Actually, My current set up sounds fine for me. I just curious about it. Another reason is they (Linux) claim that their OS got a low latency update or something like that. so.. it makes me want to try it. that's all.

1 Yes, i connect DAC via USB port (JCAT femto clock) replace my pass away OCXO usb card of Paul Pang.)

2 I have no idea. my software are Foobar2K + JPLAY ASIO > Mytek Brooklyn.

3 I never use it before.

4 I think it's fine. Just wanna know that Linux low latency version will sound better or not?

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

51 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

You are going to have to do little bit of research related to JCAT to see if it works under Linux but you will definitely will have to use something different in place of Foobar.

Thanks. I got another 2 softwares to try out. Hq play and Jriver.

Have you tried win 2016 ? 

I have All os used in Windows ina TRI boot setup 

win 10/2012/2016 all AO2.20 b5 amd fid pro 

even with a two pc setup roon,hq 

2016 improvment over 12 is notible 

linux is nice too but has its own sound scape and as others posted does not work on all dacs ,usb cards etc.  also for me if using win 2026 and the above on a multiple LPS power usb 3.0 is the same as usb Audio cards and I have tried PAUL pang ver 3.0 amd jacat 

in fact I like the Main board 3.0 better.  Where a usb Audio card is handy if you use an external usb attached storage there it improves the sound and worthwhile. 

Hope this helps. 

And if you want an ultimate buy a paul

pamg sata 2 ssd a well worth while investment 

you can a try a small one 32 pr 64 gig just for operating system a very nice improvement in sound quality. I have this setup in the above setup Ina quad boot to flip back and forth 

sata 2 wins it adds layers and ease of presentation.   

2 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Couple of questions:

May I ask what dac as mine in all Windows does 

All pcm amd dsd native to dsd 512 I’m chipless 

amd Chipped dop to 256 ?  

1 hour ago, ALRAINBOW said:

Have you tried win 2016 ? 

I have All os used in Windows ina TRI boot setup 

win 10/2012/2016 all AO2.20 b5 amd fid pro 

even with a two pc setup roon,hq 

2016 improvment over 12 is notible 

linux is nice too but has its own sound scape and as others posted does not work on all dacs ,usb cards etc.  also for me if using win 2026 and the above on a multiple LPS power usb 3.0 is the same as usb Audio cards and I have tried PAUL pang ver 3.0 amd jacat 

in fact I like the Main board 3.0 better.  Where a usb Audio card is handy if you use an external usb attached storage there it improves the sound and worthwhile. 

Hope this helps. 

And if you want an ultimate buy a paul

pamg sata 2 ssd a well worth while investment 

you can a try a small one 32 pr 64 gig just for operating system a very nice improvement in sound quality. I have this setup in the above setup Ina quad boot to flip back and forth 

sata 2 wins it adds layers and ease of presentation.   

Thank you so much, ALRAINBOW.

It is so helpful for me.

so what about AO 2.2 b5, does it work for all wins? 2016 2012 or even 10? Now i use the 1.4 version, can it work with 2016?

for Paul Pang product, i almost used everything of him. OCXO SSD, OCXO USB Card, OCXO msi mobo and all of his SATA cable which you can see on my blog page. Unfortunately it's unstable for my server, sometimes can boot, sometimes not and all parts easily broken. Finally i have to return him all except mobo, ram and red sata cables  which already broken now.

now i use gigabyte z97 mobo/samsung 850 pro and JCAT usb card instead which work fine but sound quality can not even close to Paul things. Especialy Paul's SSD, nothing compared or his ICXO usb card, it's warmer, deeper and wider soundstage than JCAT FEMTO USB card.

but his bad after sale services make me scared to use anything from Paul again. That's sad for me.

1 hour ago, ALRAINBOW said:

amd Chipped dop to 256 ?  

No, i don't do upsampling. I rather like its native resolution. I think its sound is more natural than upsampling. Upsampling seem to refine in high freq but it sounds unnatural and tonal balance seems to get worse. It's just my opinion, sorry. ^*

I did an experiment a while back comparing Server 2012 R2 against Lubuntu and I ended up preferring Server.  When using it with AO I felt the sound was more dynamic while Lubuntu sounded more relaxed.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1 hour ago, NAIDIVER said:

Thank you so much, ALRAINBOW.

It is so helpful for me.

so what about AO 2.2 b5, does it work for all wins? 2016 2012 or even 10? Now i use the 1.4 version, can it work with 2016?

for Paul Pang product, i almost used everything of him. OCXO SSD, OCXO USB Card, OCXO msi mobo and all of his SATA cable which you can see on my blog page. Unfortunately it's unstable for my server, sometimes can boot, sometimes not and all parts easily broken. Finally i have to return him all except mobo, ram and red sata cables  which already broken now.

now i use gigabyte z97 mobo/samsung 850 pro and JCAT usb card instead which work fine but sound quality can not even close to Paul things. Especialy Paul's SSD, nothing compared or his ICXO usb card, it's warmer, deeper and wider soundstage than JCAT FEMTO USB card.

but his bad after sale services make me scared to use anything from Paul again. That's sad for me.

Yes that man was Ahead of his time. 

I still have a full size MSI Main board 

his ram moduals 3 sets 4 gig each. 

And yes it’s diy and he don’t want returns. 

But rhat aound is wonderful.  I have a 64 and 32 still works fine. The trick in boktup is turn them on first ahead of Main board bootup. Lol. What a great sound for a lot of agaravstion.  

I still have 4 red Sata cabke and two 3 foot usb reds love the sound.  Anyway the beta works for all windows and wait till you hear it. Much improved over 1.40. 

Do the update first and Listen then in gui mode create a unalocated 30 gig portition on the os drive. Load up a iso to usb thumb drive of win SER 2016 data and gui on it. 

Boot up and load it on the new partion then when you boot you get choices and please post back how it sounds. 

By the way it’s all the same machine so one code and no need for extra fid pro either. 

Enjoy 

3 hours ago, ALRAINBOW said:

amd Chipped dop to 256 ?  

It is Lampizator B7.  Just waiting for Amanero to release the final version of 2003 firmware with drivers before getting the B7 upgraded with the firmware.

Yes two lampi dacs  I can do my own win flashing and your best to wait the beta was buggy for me and I had to back.  The one I have is cpl_1080 

cpu 1096C.  It's very stable and does Linux dop to dsd256 

win dsd 512 chip less 

and dsd 256 dop on auto select chipped. Very happy with it. 

I have two lampi dacs a B7 from end of 2016 and a Cust head DAC Jan 2017 

the headdac is CUST as I wanted it and of course Luke of lampi.  

Gotta love lampi stuff and the tube rolling makes it perfect for any system.  

And I am not a dealer just a beta tester for them . 

Please excuse my open attitude in no way do I intend to be rude. I. Just have read and done most all there is in servers myself and have come to conclusions others are just not as I hear things always.  

A lps is a must for any audio server for serious users there is no way around it 

while there are devices that claim to filter or seperate the noise and some do work.  It's best to spend good money up front and not need add on cleanup devices. 

2 hours ago, NAIDIVER said:

No, i don't do upsampling. I rather like its native resolution. I think its sound is more natural than upsampling. Upsampling seem to refine in high freq but it sounds unnatural and tonal balance seems to get worse. It's just my opinion, sorry. ^*

That's a nice setup and I agree no upsample while,it does do sme good it overall messes with the sound for me.  

6 hours ago, tboooe said:

I did an experiment a while back comparing Server 2012 R2 against Lubuntu and I ended up preferring Server.  When using it with AO I felt the sound was more dynamic while Lubuntu sounded more relaxed.  

Wow.. That is nice.

My thinking twice is winserv + AO and in core mode is my favorite. If i install Linux which can not convert to core mode, i don't think Linux will sound better than that.

I think OS with no GUI usually sound better than OS with GUI (in technical term)

5 hours ago, ALRAINBOW said:

Yes that man was Ahead of his time. 

I still have a full size MSI Main board 

his ram moduals 3 sets 4 gig each. 

And yes it’s diy and he don’t want returns. 

But rhat aound is wonderful.  I have a 64 and 32 still works fine. The trick in boktup is turn them on first ahead of Main board bootup. Lol. What a great sound for a lot of agaravstion.  

I still have 4 red Sata cabke and two 3 foot usb reds love the sound.  Anyway the beta works for all windows and wait till you hear it. Much improved over 1.40. 

Do the update first and Listen then in gui mode create a unalocated 30 gig portition on the os drive. Load up a iso to usb thumb drive of win SER 2016 data and gui on it. 

Boot up and load it on the new partion then when you boot you get choices and please post back how it sounds. 

By the way it’s all the same machine so one code and no need for extra fid pro either. 

Enjoy 

Thanks, Iwill try it. ^^

12 hours ago, NAIDIVER said:

Wow.. That is nice.

My thinking twice is winserv + AO and in core mode is my favorite. If i install Linux which can not convert to core mode, i don't think Linux will sound better than that.

I think OS with no GUI usually sound better than OS with GUI (in technical term)

By default Linux does not have any GUI, unless you install the desktop interface.

10 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

By default Linux does not have any GUI, unless you install the desktop interface.

That is great. Why i don't know it before? What a fool am i...

at least i don't have to pay for AO and Fidelizer. Sooooo sad...

50 minutes ago, NAIDIVER said:

That is great. Why i don't know it before? What a fool am i...

at least i don't have to pay for AO and Fidelizer. Sooooo sad...

The problem is that majority of the Linux distribution are trying to convert Win/MAC users to Linux so they always show desktop interface.  I have always started with minimal server install using network installer and installed software as needed.  My current HQPlayer embedded install with all the needed component is under 2.5GB.

Ubuntu Xenial Network Minimal Install

Debian Stretch Network Minimal Install

4 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

The problem is that majority of the Linux distribution are trying to convert Win/MAC users to Linux so they always show desktop interface.  I have always started with minimal server install using network installer and installed software as needed.  My current HQPlayer embedded install with all the needed component is under 2.5GB.

Ubuntu Xenial Network Minimal Install

Debian Stretch Network Minimal Install

Thanks, Shadow Light

I don't stream, just playing download files or ripped files.

which one (above links) is suitable for me?

Either one will work.  It has been awhile since I tried running JRiver on Linux but if I remember correctly it requires the desktop gui components to work.  With the latest version of HQPlayer Embedded beta you can play your downloaded/ripped files or setup Minimserver to stream those same files to HQPlayer Embedded, which is what I am doing.

Take a look at the HQPlayer Embedded thread on how to setup Linux system for HQPe.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:12 PM, shadowlight said:

Guide with information updated for the 4.0 beta including configuration using the web interface that was introduced late in the alpha stage.  Please let me know if you find any error or I missed something that is crucial.

HQPlayer Embedded Install Guide v.0.5.pdf

hqpe-startup.tgz

1 hour ago, shadowlight said:

Either one will work.  It has been awhile since I tried running JRiver on Linux but if I remember correctly it requires the desktop gui components to work.  With the latest version of HQPlayer Embedded beta you can play your downloaded/ripped files or setup Minimserver to stream those same files to HQPlayer Embedded, which is what I am doing.

Take a look at the HQPlayer Embedded thread on how to setup Linux system for HQPe.

Last 2 questions, Shadow Light.

for Winserv 2012, i set up everything in gui mode and after everything done (software, driver and some optimize set), i switch it to core mode.

Can i do like this on Linux?

Can it be switched back and force between modes?

I use foobar2000+ASIO JPLAY+brooklyn DAC.

Do you have set up guide for it?

Thanks 

No setup guide for your setup.  Foobar2000 is not supported on the Linux, so you will have to use alternate solution for player.  If you want to run desktop version of JRiver and HQPlayer you will have to install the desktop manager.  The HQPlayer does not require desktop manager to run.

The guide has information on the barebone desktop manager setup.  You can start the "openbox" desktop manager manually when you need it by typing "startx".  The "openbox" desktop manager is barebone for what is needed to run HQPlayer Desktop.  I am not sure what you goal is with switching back and forth.