IGNORED

Operating systems and their sound signatures

19 hours ago, zackthedog said:

Really?  Hmmmm.  My sympathies, since Linux is indeed very unfussy about drivers and immune to updates.  OTOH, JRiver is my go-to catalogue app precisely because it is so unfussy about my large and poorly tagged collected.  It will find *anything* as long as I label a folder or file in a way that I want.  You can also browse by folder.  I find Roon frustrating because it *won't* recognize untagged files and you *can't* browse by folder structure.

Interesting that our experiences using both are completely opposite from one another.

I would say my .wav files are exactly like yours (untagged) but yet JRiver hasn't a clue what to do with them and ROON found them right away...Hrrrmm

19 hours ago, ALRAINBOW said:

A simple question why are you not using roon now. Roon looks And acts the same in all platforms so why. ??? Lastly Linux to me sounded thin and does not have the decay 

also win 10 is by a large margin the worst windows to use.  Why not win 2016 that is a much better sound then win 10 and a universe away drom

linux. 

Truth is, I am planning on trying to use ROON again once I create all my DSP FIR Filters using Audio Lense. I've seen reports though that suggest the ROON Convolution feature isn't fully baked yet in more complex systems with multi-channels. JRiver on the other hand does this with ease apparently. I plan on creating the Filters and trying them with ROON to see for myself. If they work, then I'm golden and will just keep using ROON/Linux but will still need to maintain a Windows presence for Room Measurement software and FIR Filter creation purposes.

14 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

Please try Windows server 2016, it is a day and night difference compared to Windows 10 from a soundquality perspective. Getting it work was a bit of a struggle for me, but since you’re able to get Linux running you’ll probably do fine. After that you can experiment with audiophile optimizer, which I’m currently in, if you want to go further an install in core mode is the next level. No experience in that field yet. 

The jremote app has a lurning curve, but I’m quite satisfied now.

My only reason for not going with Win 2016 is proper ASIO driver support and functionality from the manufacturer of the Lynx Hilo AD/DA I am using. They use their own proprietary driver which allows for proper "Sharing" of more than one APP at a time of the various Bi-Directional USB Channels on hand.

5 hours ago, cjf said:

Interesting that our experiences using both are completely opposite from one another.

I would say my .wav files are exactly like yours (untagged) but yet JRiver hasn't a clue what to do with them and ROON found them right away...Hrrrmm

Roon may have recognized and tagged your files.  I have too much oddball stuff in my collection to trust Roon... ;-)

10 hours ago, cjf said:

My only reason for not going with Win 2016 is proper ASIO driver support and functionality from the manufacturer of the Lynx Hilo AD/DA I am using. They use their own proprietary driver which allows for proper "Sharing" of more than one APP at a time of the various Bi-Directional USB Channels on hand.

Have you tryed installing their own driver in ws2016? I installed the dac manufacturers driver (AMR) flawlesly. In fact it was the problem solver for getting windows server 2016 working. 

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd test this out on my sCLK-ex server, I did approach this with a bit of sceptisism as both W10 and Server 2016 share the same platform. I loaded Server 2016 essentials and found that the sound was richer - more texture and body, more space and detail, didn't expect this from an OS change, the difference was not subtle. In comparison W10 sounded vieled and grainy.

After a couple of days the sound was not so good, sounded a bit like W10 again the viel was back - forgot to stop automatic updates,

2 large system updates and a security patch had been applied, could not get rid of them, so reinstalled (you know the drill).

No wonder earlier W10 build sound better. In comparison S16 has half the processes running as W10.

It's really worth the change, just configure W16 so updates are installed manually and leave as is. There is a desktop so you can use it just like W10 and install programs etc the same way. No need to set up all the server stuff if you don't need it. Plenty of tweaks on google to remove security measures and shorten password lengths etc. Stopped defender, turned off firewall, installed roon server and connected by remote desktop from laptop. Also installed jRiver and operating via remote desktop, but you can use it just like W10. Thanks for this topic.

17 minutes ago, KingRex said:

I use server 2016 also.  Mine does not seem to update.  I use AO and HQ with Roon.  Lovely sound.   don't forget about your BIOS.  It makes a difference.  

AO disables windows updates.   

You have to run "st -r" (or Service Tool choice "A") to reset drivers and services, then windows update will be enabled.  Once enabled, you can also makes edits to windows updates for your configuration you like.

A few points 

one use standard eval desk top 

don’t use essentials or data but days desktop is not bad 

next use server mng 

go to local server 

drop down services 

scroll down to windows update and stop services 

do this right after install and don’t use network when installing the OS.  

hope this helps 

also install all programs and needed drivers before AO IS installed. 

Alao if your using roon do this and allow it to run its find your music and setup as welll. Always install drivers from Main board usb 

then if you use a Audio card it’s ok 

Hahaha yes and it sucks up resources 

go to task mng 

go to performance I think. It shows 

cpu in cpu look processes lower is better 

network 

memory 

a great running optimized windows OS is under 50 processes lower is better I got mine below 30 or so. I made scrips to shutdown even more than AO does. Linux in theory should be better 

as it’s smaller and uses much less cpu usage 

but it’s sound is hollow or bland for me. 

And this is with networking end roon server running. 

Yes they are helpful but win 10 is very difficult to fix and to remove software and systems is even worse.  I have made many kill scripts too. 

Win ser 2016 is much more easy once you get past the drivers and  understand how to shut down not needed services 

My post was to make you understand that don’t let anything update after install. In fact remove the network wire while your installing 

once done installing all of your needed drivers 

and they work 

and your players too. Roon , hq , j river what ever 

then install AO 

if you don’t install AO right away use my method to shut down update but it will restart after reboot. 

The image to install is standard data desktop it gives you gui 

dont use essential as it has many updates you don’t need or want.  Once you install AO and keep it enabled from AO it does stop undated but not when you use server and enable all devices. 

Good how to disable services there is a way from cammmad prompt to shit things down 

but the typing must be perfect. 

1 hour ago, ALRAINBOW said:

My post was to make you understand that don’t let anything update after install. In fact remove the network wire while your installing 

once done installing all of your needed drivers 

and they work 

and your players too. Roon , hq , j river what ever 

then install AO 

if you don’t install AO right away use my method to shut down update but it will restart after reboot. 

The image to install is standard data desktop it gives you gui 

dont use essential as it has many updates you don’t need or want.  Once you install AO and keep it enabled from AO it does stop undated but not when you use server and enable all devices. 

Good how to disable services there is a way from cammmad prompt to shit things down 

but the typing must be perfect. 

Great tips thank you