IGNORED

Operating systems and their sound signatures

In building servers and then comparing the OS and its sound I have found significance chAnge among them.  

Has anyone here done any comparisons . I did a triple boot of Windows 10 ,ser 2012 and 2016 all on the same system with AO 2.20 beta 5 and find pro 

all the same parameters used , no sound card , all linear psu,s used with seperate SSD drives for OS and internal music. 

Roon to hq player to USB out to two of my dacs.  A lampi and a msb stack . 

My conclusion is in order of what I feel,is better top to bottom. 

Win ser 2016 

win ser 2012

win 10 pro.  

To be honest the win 10 pro is not even close to the server OS systems . 

I have read so much on what sounds good and now after this conclusion I don't know how anyone can post win 10 is good . Maybe they never had the time or understanding of how to setup a server using the above software . 

Please comment on my post . 

Thanks 

Perhaps it's due to "software Bloat"  where with some OS's you need to do a lot more than just the basics ?

Even Win 7 in Safe Mode sounded better, both when ripping and playing, with non essential start up programs not enabled, and is also the reasoning behind programs such as Fidelizer.

Peter St. has also had a great deal to say about the SQ of different Windows Operating Systems.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

After modifying my mobo with the sCLK-EX, I find that any optimization has little to no effect.  I'm sure it would be the same for choice of OS.  Thus Windows 10 is fine.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

20 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

After modifying my mobo with the sCLK-EX, I find that any optimization has little to no effect.  I'm sure it would be the same for choice of OS.  Thus Windows 10 is fine.

That's a damn expensive way to try and correct a minor problem with  some set ups and OS's !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Hi Alrainbow,

you might be interested In some of my older post like this one:

The comparison is still valid.

Take care

Thomsa

DIY coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer /// 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery & caps/filter /// Active crossover @ Acourate Convolver & room correction@MC30 /// General 2 PC setup: floating PSU picoless battery & caps/filter powered Bicker DC160W: PC1(Player) - individual stripped MS RamOS with JPlay /// PC2: Server 2016 RamOS - AO 2.0b5 - Acourate Convolver - online convolving & crossover /// Chain: PC1 - USB - F-1 - SPdif coax - Mutec MC3.1+ USB - SPdif coax - FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery & caps/filter - USB - PC2 - FireFace UCX - Adat LWL - Mutec MC-4 - 3 x SPdif coax - D802 Low/ D802 Middle / D802 High - 2 Stereo Lab KWH250 with BMS 4590 plus 2 modified corner subwoofer Abacus ABS210

A client OS sounds rarely as good as a server OS. And if you also run the server OS in Core mode, the difference is even greater. And in fact the same goes for hardware, serverboards, Xeon-CPU and ECC memory will also improve SQ further.

It was several years since I discovered these differences under all my tweaks with JPlay, AO and all possible computer-based hardware. Unlike before, now I dare say that mostly everything in some way makes a difference. As well as power supply last but not least.

56 minutes ago, Tomslin said:

A client OS sounds rarely as good as a server OS. And if you also run the server OS in Core mode, the difference is even greater. And in fact the same goes for hardware, serverboards, Xeon-CPU and ECC memory will also improve SQ further.

It was several years since I discovered these differences under all my tweaks with JPlay, AO and all possible computer-based hardware. Unlike before, now I dare say that mostly everything in some way makes a difference. As well as power supply last but not least.

And the 1s and 0s remain the same , despite the audible differences.

Guys thanks. I am not a novice as the post may have led you to think.  I was reading on here in the server forums and how much some spend ona custom server and how far off reality in good sound they must be.  I wanted to see if I am crazy.  

My current setup

is a quad boot three pc setup 

the control pc is Zeon 3.5k series reclocked MSI atx size Board 

4 gig Audio grade filtered ram 

running win 2016 and AO 2.20 beta 5 and fid pro 

roon 

the quad boot is as follows 

120 gig sata 3 TRI partition for win 10 pro ,2012 ,2016 

second hard drive 32 gig moded sata 2 drive win SER 2016 

Four lps used OS drives each have there own 5 volt buss and atx amd cpu All seperate busses 

also I had one more lps just for spinning hard drives three 8 TB EACH 

now the music  is on a  CUST win 2016

server with AO AS above used for network storage alone 

I7 4.0k 

lps for atx ,cpu , and OS drive 

hard drives have there own lps 12/5 v bus

4 gig ram 

dac pc 

Is same I7 4.0k 

audio garde ram 4 gig. 

Win 2016 

AO 2.20 beta 5 FID pro 

no usb Audio cards my finding is of the lps is used it’s not needed. It can be used if you use a ext usb drive that uses usb this improves things. 

Setup as follows 

cust win server for nas storage pc 

cust control sever running roon AO PC 

CUST player pc connected to dac via usb 3.0. PC AO fid pro 

All is lps powered I have tried Methods this is best to date.  

Reg lps while they can not be used and inprovmets are there. Using them every where gives a sound that is very close to vinyl having clean relaxed music with weight. 

Please comment on my observations 

Al

While LPS

3 hours ago, ALRAINBOW said:

All is lps powered I have tried Methods this is best to date.  

Reg lps while they can not be used and inprovmets are there. Using them every where gives a sound that is very close to vinyl having clean relaxed music with weight. 

Please comment on my observations 

Al

I can't comment on most of what you have done, because I haven't felt the need to do so when using ultra clean power as described later. 

Clean  and isolated power to the various peripheral devices, including SSDs, HDDs ,USB, and Optical devices results in superior sounding Audio, whether exported via USB, or from Coax Out of a decent Soundcard,and makes it possible to hear differences between OSs that you may not have previously noticed. You will also be able to hear SQ differences between  music files saved on HDD and SSD for example, with SSDs using improved power sounding better.

It is also possible, as I have done, to use an  internal SMPS and then further improve the power to the other areas mentioned.

For my 2 internal SSDs I regulate the +12V supply down to 2 separate isolated +5V supplies. 

This prevents interaction between them, as well as preventing their sudden current draws getting into other sensitive areas of the PC. It also helps to ensure that you have only one earth reference to prevent earth loops.

This is more difficult to achieve when you use separate Linear PSUs.

Some members use SATA filters to do similar, but they aren't quite as effective as the other methods.

I tried that originally.

Even my internal LG BR writer uses very clean +12V and +5V via an  internal  dual JLH PSU add-on which sits in the bay below it. ( A variety of Shunt Regulator)

It's also possible to get fantastic SQ from a USB memory stick using a Regen and a regulated battery derived PSU for it.

No USB lead though , just a modified USB-A to USB-B adaptor without +5Vand shield connected through to plug in the USB memory stick and Regen.

My apologies if this reply is a bit disjointed as I have yet to have a wakeup coffee !

Alex

Dual +5V PSU for 2 SSDs.jpg

Good morong lol. Yes always keeping os and music on seperate 5 volt buss is a must 

gnd paths are trouble I agree.  Lps and the mike have isolated secondary so it’s true isolation 

but when connected to dac or networks the fun begins.  

My room is ona 10 k isolated 208 volt input balanced 125 volt output 

the secondary is true isolation All to one point grounding starr point as some may  call it.  

Clean power matters plenty but lps matters just as much. 

I recently built a Windows 10 all-in-one server/ripper with the SOtM Usb card and an HDPlex multi-rail LPS.  I've tried many OS's but my wife made it clear that she much prefers the "easier" sound of Windows.  Since I'd rather she listen to music with me than not, I've settled on it for now, without a lot of complaint.  It's musical and the new 64-bit JRiver is definitely an improvement, to my ears.  So in the spirit of experimentation and what-the-heck-ism I tried Windows Server 2016 today.

Doggonnit.

I literally rocked back in my listening chair at the dramatic increase in clarity and presence.

Well, I have six months to put away some money for activation. :-)

8 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

I recently built a Windows 10 all-in-one server/ripper with the SOtM Usb card and an HDPlex multi-rail LPS.

The HDPlex 300W multi rail LPS greatly benefits from the use of a JLH PSU add-on after the rail supplying Regens, USB cards , SSDs etc.  It just isn't quiet enough by itself. 

I have recently made a dual JLH version for a Sydney friend using this HDPlex PSU.

2 hours ago, zackthedog said:

I recently built a Windows 10 all-in-one server/ripper with the SOtM Usb card and an HDPlex multi-rail LPS.  I've tried many OS's but my wife made it clear that she much prefers the "easier" sound of Windows.  Since I'd rather she listen to music with me than not, I've settled on it for now, without a lot of complaint.  It's musical and the new 64-bit JRiver is definitely an improvement, to my ears.  So in the spirit of experimentation and what-the-heck-ism I tried Windows Server 2016 today.

Doggonnit.

I literally rocked back in my listening chair at the dramatic increase in clarity and presence.

Well, I have six months to put away some money for activation. :-)

If you added a sCLK-EX to that mobo and tXUSBexp PCIe card, you wouldn't need Server 2016.  Your SQ would benefit greatly above and beyond just an OS change.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

32 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

If you added a sCLK-EX to that mobo and tXUSBexp PCIe card, you wouldn't need Server 2016.  Your SQ would benefit greatly above and beyond just an OS change.

You would also be around $700 poorer ?

35 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Why wouldn't he need it? Too much good it can never be. Also it's hard to drop an improvement once you've heard it. And as I said earlier, improvement is large, especially in Core mode.

2 hours ago, Tomslin said:

Why wouldn't he need it? Too much good it can never be. Also it's hard to drop an improvement once you've heard it. And as I said earlier, improvement is large, especially in Core mode.

I suspect the clean power with the better clocking negates any negative SQ issues with software processing bloat.

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

You would also be around $700 poorer ?

What would the cost of Server 2016 be?  Which you wouldn't need with the sCLK-EX.  Just use unlicensed Windows 10, free.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

The HDPlex 300W multi rail LPS greatly benefits from the use of a JLH PSU add-on after the rail supplying Regens, USB cards , SSDs etc.  It just isn't quiet enough by itself. 

I have recently made a dual JLH version for a Sydney friend using this HDPlex PSU.

The external  200W supply isn't quiet enough?  I'm open to that.  It's better than a single SMPS powering the whole computer, for now.  Where do I find out more about these boards, and how would I implement one in my setup?  The SSD, USB card and motherboard are currently powered from the HDPlex.

2 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

That's possible.  I'd need at least a 2 output board, yes?  How would I connect the clock to an ASRock J3160DC-ITX motherboard?  That's not something I'm familiar with yet.

I'm hoping to find a discount price for WS 2016.

1 hour ago, zackthedog said:

The external  200W supply isn't quiet enough?  I'm open to that.  It's better than a single SMPS powering the whole computer, for now.  Where do I find out more about these boards, and how would I implement one in my setup?  The SSD, USB card and motherboard are currently powered from the HDPlex.

Unfortunately, they are DIY only, and there are no more PCBs currently available.

I can  however provide a link to the original artwork if somebody wished to get a PCB maker to make a batch of at least 10  PCBs as well as provide full details including component types etc.

You would however need to be a fairly experienced DIY person.

It does however show the advantages of using lower noise PSUs than the HDPlex.

Yes, the HDPlex would still be preferable to most internal SMPS.

What voltage rail are you using in the HDPlex to power the SSD, is it the +5V rail or the Adjustable Output rail ? 

Alex

http://users.tpg.com.au/gerskine/greg/default.htm 

Click on Power Supplies and you will find full details including a copy of the original article in Electronics Today International by John Linsley Hood. 

2 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I suspect the clean power with the better clocking negates any negative SQ issues with software processing bloat.

Much better power often negates much of the advantages of aftermarket Xtal Oscillators !

For the kind of money and aggravation being discussed why not try a Dante interface?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.