IGNORED

The Audeze LCD XC & My Quest for a Closed Back

I own the ZMF Eikon and I have to say I'm quite happy with it, but I'm still in search of an exciting closed back headphone to compliment it's more mellow super natural sound. I had hoped the LCD XC would prove to be the case, in some ways it was... but in others it was not. You can read my experience with it here, at the end of the day I wasn't super impressed. That said, for those of you that like it what has helped you get the most out of it. For those that also didn't like it, what other options would you recommend especially something that will compliment my ZMF Eikon. Ideally I'd love to get a sound similar to my HD 800 but with isolation and no sound leakage! 

Obviously Head Fi exists for discussions such as these, but I'm finding the vibe and input of members here to be quite different than over there. So I'd love to explore your thoughts on this matter. 

I'm a big fan of my HD800, but needed something for work.  I've been very pleasantly surprised and happy with the quality and sound of the closed Aeon Flows, esp. at the price.  Great value, very comfortable for extended listening, and best closed headphones I've heard (but I haven't had a chance to hear the LCD's)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

On 21.12.2017 at 2:54 AM, Mshenay said:

I own the ZMF Eikon and I have to say I'm quite happy with it, but I'm still in search of an exciting closed back headphone to compliment it's more mellow super natural sound. I had hoped the LCD XC would prove to be the case, in some ways it was... but in others it was not. You can read my experience with it here, at the end of the day I wasn't super impressed. That said, for those of you that like it what has helped you get the most out of it. For those that also didn't like it, what other options would you recommend especially something that will compliment my ZMF Eikon. Ideally I'd love to get a sound similar to my HD 800 but with isolation and no sound leakage! 

Obviously Head Fi exists for discussions such as these, but I'm finding the vibe and input of members here to be quite different than over there. So I'd love to explore your thoughts on this matter. 

You should try the combination of an Ayre DAC, anyway if the CODEX, the QX-5 twenty or the new QX-8 with the LCD XC and Cardas Clear balanced headphone cables. This setups match and harmonize extraordinary well. 

Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow (Closed) is the best I've heard - very well balanced and clear.  I use it balanced with LH Labs Pulse or SE with iFi Micro iDSD - sounds great either way.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Sounds like the Aeon Flow Closed might be the way to go, but is it more clear and energetic over dark? Reading over threads I else where I'm getting a sense that maybe it's more dark and natural, than it is expansive and airy. 

As much as it might be hated, I might look into a Beyerdynamic T5P has any one had a chance to try it?

On 21/12/2017 at 1:54 AM, Mshenay said:

That said, for those of you that like it what has helped you get the most out of it.

Audeze recently released a set of DSP filters for their headphone range first in ROON and then as an add on for other software such as jriver, etc. This transformed the balance of the LCD XC for me. It retains all its characteristics but the sting in the upper mid and treble has gone. I previously tried many different filter/equalisation combinations without success, this one just works.