IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

Finally getting around to doing a measurement (umik-1 mic, Mac, Audirvana).  Getting a message “File not a valid calibration file” when try to load the .txt document that contains the mic calibration file.  Seems to be a different message than others have been discussing.  Sort of stuck at this point (however, looks like I could move forward if don’t use the calibration file but would prefer not to do that)

I have managed to get this to work after editing out the high frequency points.

I now have a chain working on the Mac using Roon/Loopback/Reaper.  Its a bit tricky as it appears that loopback doesn't handle exclusive mode properly, but it seems ok. 

From a usability perspective, it seems that this plugin only version is going to be more complicated if one wants system wide application of Dirac or if your playback application doesn't support plugins (like Roon currently)

4 minutes ago, Carl Kesselman said:

I now have a chain working on the Mac using Roon/Loopback/Reaper.  Its a bit tricky as it appears that loopback doesn't handle exclusive mode properly, but it seems ok. 

From a usability perspective, it seems that this plugin only version is going to be more complicated if one wants system wide application of Dirac or if your playback application doesn't support plugins (like Roon currently)

Hmn, Audirvana supports the plug-ins and only using Dirac for stereo/music listening.  This was not an issue in the prior plug-in version.  Something seems amiss.

4 minutes ago, Carl Kesselman said:

Hmn, Audirvana supports the plug-ins and only using Dirac for stereo/music listening.  This was not an issue in the prior plug-in version.  Something seems amiss.

Ok found success in making measurements and uploading the calibration file for the Umik-1 mic.  Fist, would like tho thank Flavio for his amazing support (as always). I redownloaded the mic calibration file from the minidsp website.  The new download uploaded nicely into the Firac Live Processor.

I was unable to run the measurements inside of Audirvana.  I opened the Processor as Standalone and worked perfect.  Have not played with the filters yet but the measurement process was I nice improvement over the previous version(s)

Ok, this program is becoming like golf. You think you have it and then frustration!  I have successfully created a measurement/“project”.  I created a couple of filters in addition to the base filter Dirac gives you.  When I open the Dirac Professor and open my project, it shows the two filters I created on the left.  However, when I select either of those filters, nothing changes - it is only showing the Dirac base filter.  I would like to see the shape of the filter I previously created.  Clearly I must be doing something wrong.

in addition, how do you delete a filter previously created.  Prior version on a Mac was Libray>Appliction Support>Dirac>Filters.  From here you could delete. I am not finding this on the new version.

Greatly appreciate guidance on these issues!

Very pleased to see the updates on your progress Tommy. I've had to pause my involvement with the beta as it is of no use to me unless system wide like the older version was. Not really interested in faffing around with virtual cable as suggested by Dirac. Really keen to install it again when the beta is more mature and has the expected functionality. In the meantime I look forward very much to reading about your and other people's experience with it.

• 1 month later...

Beta testers of standalone version received build 0.9.2 of Dirac Live (the calibration tool) while we now have beta 0.9.4 that has been distributed to Arcam beta testers but not to the standalone ones as we are waiting for a new version of the DiracLiveProcessor (the other necessary component)

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

When I installed the beta in a form of jriver plugin it sounded significally worse than the non-compressed sound or the old version I remembered.  I tried to measure twice and finally turned it off as I could not listen to it. Previously the processed sound was clearly better than non-processed one and I loved Dirac.  I dont want to compare more as I am in a process of changing speakers and I need a multichannel version. I will try to make some more  tests once I set up new speakers. I will also try Audiolense this time.

Macmini/ Jriver MC26 - Audiofire 12 - MSB-MVC-1 volume control - Cinepro 2k6 amp - Geddes Abbey speakers plus 4 x 10" Aurasound subs

4 hours ago, dziemian said:

When I installed the beta in a form of jriver plugin it sounded significally worse than the non-compressed sound or the old version I remembered.  I tried to measure twice and finally turned it off as I could not listen to it. Previously the processed sound was clearly better than non-processed one and I loved Dirac.  I dont want to compare more as I am in a process of changing speakers and I need a multichannel version. I will try to make some more  tests once I set up new speakers. I will also try Audiolense this time.

Interesting, I am using the new plugin for Audirvana and have had a similar listening experience; just can’t seem to get the sound as good as the previous version; maybe I’m just very used to the old sound and this is different.  The measurement for the low-end frequencies was very different than the previous version (nothing changed in my system). Despite various target curves I have drawn finding the bass a bit more muddy (less tight). New version also does not have a volume slider in the processor to reduce potential for digital clipping; possible getting more distortion.  Very much looking forward to the completed version 2 of the Dirac - plugin. 

53 minutes ago, michael123 said:

And I like the new version much more. Previous had clipping issues, and I needed to use digital volume to reduce the signal.

The measurement procedure is completely different now, maybe you can play with the mike settings to change the sound

Ah, so you are thinking the new version does not need the slider for clipping issues. I was under the impression the beta version did not have it added yet. Would be very nice if not needed at all. 

23 hours ago, michelangelo said:

Hi Flac,

my beta version ends in 4 days. Is it possible to prolong it oder is there a new beta version?

Hi Michelangelo, dziemian and TommyCat

we are not prolonging Michelangelo's beta version because the current beta build has flaws that will give bad results for anything except 48k.

Also, care must be taken during calibration to make sure that is also 48k.

That's why I think that dziemian and TommyCat findings are correct.

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

On 8/28/2018 at 11:34 AM, TommyCat said:

Interesting, I am using the new plugin for Audirvana and have had a similar listening experience; just can’t seem to get the sound as good as the previous version; maybe I’m just very used to the old sound and this is different.  The measurement for the low-end frequencies was very different than the previous version (nothing changed in my system). Despite various target curves I have drawn finding the bass a bit more muddy (less tight). New version also does not have a volume slider in the processor to reduce potential for digital clipping; possible getting more distortion.  Very much looking forward to the completed version 2 of the Dirac - plugin. 

Actually kind of glad to hear this... so I'm not going crazy......I sampled at 96K, so this would explain a lot.

14 hours ago, michelangelo said:

Hi Flac,

Can you estimate when there will be a new beta version?
I do not necessarily want to go back to DiracLive v.1.

14 hours ago, flak said:

Hi Michelangelo, dziemian and TommyCat

we are not prolonging Michelangelo's beta version because the current beta build has flaws that will give bad results for anything except 48k.

Also, care must be taken during calibration to make sure that is also 48k.

That's why I think that dziemian and TommyCat findings are correct.

Flavio

Well, this explains why if you click on “audio settings” when the processor is first opened, and then selecting a higher sample rate (I.e 96khz) you cannot open your project (s). You get an error message.  Also, I am not sure we can go back to V1 b/c mine, all of a sudden, became disabled because “no longer supported”.  Thanks to Flavio, I found out about version 2.  Hopefully this can all be resolved in fairly short order.  Flavio, thank you very much for highlighting the 48 kHz ‘only” issue.  Explains a lot and now don’t feel like I am going nuts!

That may explain the unpleasant sound as my jriver' output is set to change all sampling to 96khz and if  I remember right I measured at 48khz as there was no other option. If this is an issue, changing all sampling to 48khz should work, shouldn't it?

PS. Is there a chance for multichannel beta soon so we can measure  subs too?

Macmini/ Jriver MC26 - Audiofire 12 - MSB-MVC-1 volume control - Cinepro 2k6 amp - Geddes Abbey speakers plus 4 x 10" Aurasound subs

Thanks to Flavio, I've got DiracLiveStudioBeta2_v1_1_0 working well with Audirvana +trial.  I have an original AV license so will upgrade at the end of it.  I have used old Dirac Live filters and created one by loading an old project from Amarra/iRC - all this worked fine.  I've lowered the DSP gain by 6dB and the results are excellent sonically, I do get an occasional stop in playback when track hopping using the AV Remote but not often and not enough of a problem to spend much time trying to work out why.  I haven't yet tried to create a new project.  Will do that when I get an empty house and some time.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

I am suprised that your old filters worked in new version and you liked the sound. There is a new algorithm in beta, therefore old filters should sound diffrent but not necessary in a proper way. 

That isn't quite what I said, they work and are producing better than no filter sonics.  The most successful (i.e. the one that sounds best to me) is without doubt the old project used to create another filter.  Is this surprising?  The measurements remain the same, presumably the new algorithms improve on optimisation.  Doing precise like for like comparisons with two engines running the same filter is not something I intend to attempt without cause because even getting the level identical would be problematic, let alone the faff in changing them over.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.