IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

I am building a computer for HQPlayer and I wonder which is the best CPU (up to now) I should use.

The options I look at are either intel 7th generation (6700k, 7700k), 8th generation (8700k) or 9th generation (x series).

Is there a significant difference that makes any of them the best choice? I do want to maximize performance of up sampling to DSD512 with best modes (XTR) possible.

It should be noted a good GPU will be in use as well (either GTX 1070 or 1080).

BTW, if AMD has any competitive CPU that matches or even performs better it can be an option.

I currently plan to go with 8700k but I am not sure if this is the right choice.

I found this thread with more information:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-holo-audio-cyan-dac-amp-pcm-or-dsd-module.861507/page-3

It seems the L3 cache and # of cores are important. It seems there is a proof that 1950x works even without CUDA offload and 6950x works with CUDA. It also says that the cheaper 1920x may work but there is no proof for it.

Did anyone manage to do DSD512 XTR (the non 2s) on a 1920x without stuttering?

3 hours ago, sbenyo said:

t seems the L3 cache and # of cores are important. It seems there is a proof that 1950x works even without CUDA offload and 6950x works with CUDA. It also says that the cheaper 1920x may work but there is no proof for it.

I have the i7-6950X and it doesn't need CUDA...

I just checked Ryzen 7 1700X and it can do DSD256 with xtr filter, but not DSD512 without stuttering. Maybe with overclocking or 1800X, but not 1700X as standard.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

10 hours ago, Miska said:

I have the i7-6950X and it doesn't need CUDA...

I just checked Ryzen 7 1700X and it can do DSD256 with xtr filter, but not DSD512 without stuttering. Maybe with overclocking or 1800X, but not 1700X as standard.

Anyone know what they use in the current sonic transporters designed for hqp & roon 512 upsampling?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 1 month later...

I finally managed to build a PC for DSD512.

I am using AMD Threadripper 1920x and now I can easily play DSD512 with poly-sync-xtr-mp-2s filter!!

I don't even use CUDA offload and cpu utilization is not exceeding 15%!

My whole build costs less than $2000...

I wanted to point out that with my new dac T+A DAC 8 DSD, in a dual PC system, with in the PC server just an old i7-3770k and CUDA offload enabled permanently (Nvidia 660 Ti video card), Auto rate family enabled, and Fidelizer 8.0 Pro, I can play files up to DSD512 with poly-sync-xtr-mp-2s without stutter, from Roon or Muso indifferently.

The CPU utilization percentage is about 40%, from time to time there are peaks at 100%, but rarely.

It is not a definitive solution, I know, probably in the near future I will upgrade the PC server, but for now it works...:D

Prestazioni CPU-RAM a DSD512 con T+A DACD 8 DSD.jpg

- Pc Server: Win 10 Pro 64bit with two NICs (one dedicated to JPLAY/HQPlayer) with Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso

- NAA Pc: Gygabyte 2807 - Windows Server 2016 Virtual Core Mode with AO v. 2.20b6 and Process Lasso

- Wireworld Starlight usb 3.0 (from NAA) + iGalvanic 3.0 + Furutech GT2 USB cable + iFi iUsb Micro 3.0 + Oyaide Continental 5S Silver (to DAC) 

- dac T+A DAC 8 DSD  - preamplifier Audio Research LS22r - amplifier Mark Levinson 27.5 - loudspeakers Dynaudio Confidence C1

- Interconnets: Kimber Kable Select - Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC

- Headphones: Focal Utopia   - Headphone Amplifier: Bryston BHA-1

On 29.01.2018 at 8:35 PM, sbenyo said:

I finally managed to build a PC for DSD512.

I am using AMD Threadripper 1920x and now I can easily play DSD512 with poly-sync-xtr-mp-2s filter!!

I don't even use CUDA offload and cpu utilization is not exceeding 15%!

My whole build costs less than $2000...

Good to know. How noisy is the processor vent when you upsample to DSD 512 and the highest filter.

The build I have is dead silent. You don't know the computer is on.

It's a combination of the case (Fractal Design R5 blackout) + Cooler (Noctua NH U14S).

My GPU (Gigabyte 1060) is also dead silent even in most demanding games.

It seems HQPlayer does not even start challenging this setup even at its max configuration

Update:

I was mistaken between -2s and non -2s. Non -2s is the better mode. Without -2s the load is much higher.

I  can play DSD512 (48x512) only if auto rate family is set. Some files do play without it but some get to100% CPU and stuck.

When it is set everything works properly and CPU level is ~30%

I also noticed that both using multicore and Cuda offload should not be fully set. They should be both grayed.

With these settings everything works great!

On 2/4/2018 at 8:57 PM, sbenyo said:

I also noticed that both using multicore and Cuda offload should not be fully set. They should be both grayed.

If CUDA box is grayed, then it means only convolution engine is offload. Thus if you don't use it, then CUDA is not used either. Offload status is reported briefly in the main window status bar when playback is started.

Multicore box grayed should automatically find optimal configuration for any core count, so in most cases it is best selection.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I've found this thread very interesting as I too have a T+A DAC8 DSD and would like to be able to use HQPlayer at DSD512.  At present I am running Roon on my desktop i5 which can do DSD256 albeit without the nice filters that HQPlayer offers.

So, I've decided to buy / build a PC that is capable of running HQPlayer.  The former option seems expensive and I have no experience of the latter, so @sbenyo your efforts have been very helpful.

It would seem that the 1920x Threadripper is a good place to start, but I have a couple of questions:

1) How easy did you find it to build your own machine?  Do you perhaps have a link to a useful guide on how to set about it?

2) I'm not interested in gaming, so do you think it would be possible to use cheaper components?  For example, would 2 x 8GB RAM be sufficient?  Do I need an expensive graphics card?  Are there any other areas where I could economise without affecting performance?

Any suggestions / help gratefully received!

I honestly don't know why people are writing about severe hardware requirements. My Xeon E3 1231v3 can do DSD512 poly-sinc-ext (non -2s) perfectly fine (at max. 47% cpu utilization, no CUDA offload). It can, however, not do DSD 512 xtr, but it can do xtr-2s at mentioned frequency.

It's a mid to low tier Xeon from 2014 (Haswell). It has four Cores (with HT) and runs at 3,6GHz continuously on all cores if sufficent heat can be dissipated, the L3 Cache Size is 8MB. You can buy them used for around 180€ and since you will not be overclocking that CPU, a H97 Motherboard is fine, which can be found used for around 80€. I only run my RAM at 1600MHz CL10 and HQ-Player doesn't use more than 250MB of it. So 8GB is plenty (buy used for around 50€, dual sticks for dual channel). There might be even cheaper ways of achieving mentioned presets, I am almost sure of that.

However, I am thinking about upgrading to do DSD512 with poly-sinc-xtr and therefore, I am looking at used Xeons since they present a much better value than new CPUs. The E5-2690V2 seems to be a good option since it has a very large Cache of 25MB and 10 cores (and HT for 20 Threads) at 3GHz (Ivy-Bridge though, so lower IPC). They go for around 350€ + MoBo. A 2667v2 (8 cores at 3,3GHz, Turbo to 4GHz, 25MB Cache) costs about the same and might be even better. Some of the used Xeons even have warranty for a year or so. They do however not have an integrated GPU (iGPU) so you would need a dGPU (dedicated GPU) to get a Display output.

@Mr Wensleydale1) Building a PC is VERY easy. You only need a screw driver:

2) 8GB is plenty. You can cheap out on other components, such as the case or the motherboard, however, a case is what you build in and what you touch and does insulate from sounds. I would go with the fractal design define series (buy a used r4 or something like that if you want to save money or a new defince c) or a be quiet silent base or pure base, ... A Motherboard is what connects your components and they do fail more often than cpus. I would pick something from a well known brand such as ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock or MSI. Some of them, though usually the higher end boards, have special DAC features such as USB DAC-UP from Gigabyte, which you might want to take a look at. The Power Supply is important for audio applications, so do not cheap out here, but don't overestimate how much power your system needs.
Look here to calculate the potential power requierement for a pc: http://enermax.outervision.com/

Look here to see, what PSU to buy (go for tier 1 if you can): https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

and if you want to make an educated buying decision, look for the reviews on http://www.jonnyguru.com

I have had no trouble running my files from a HDD, but you might prefer a SSD for it's reduced noise. Go for a 2,5" SATA based SSD, there is no need for a M.2 based.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the long post.

12 minutes ago, MirinStereo said:

This is all about XTR filters with DSD512.

We still need to see a Xeon build handle it before we can say it's the cheapest option that works.

Until now there are only the new higher end CPUs with have large L3 cache that are proven to do it.