IGNORED

2.1 setup for near-field listening

I curious what everyone else is using for a near field subwoofer.  I've been real happy with my M&K V8, it's a little 8" sealed subwoofer I got recently.  RCA L/R out from my DAC into volume control (Schitt SYS) and L/R to the Sub and L/R to some Studio monitors (JBL LSR-305's).  

I strongly considered the Audioengine S8 but it was more expensive at the time and was a ported sub.  I thought it would be cool to try a sealed one.  It's also very small compared to what you typically get in subwoofer.  My HT Subwoofer is a ported 8" Velodyne that's 44lbs and about 17"x14"x18.5" This little M&K is considerably smaller at about 23lbs 13"x10"x11.5.  Anyway I really like it I was just wondering what other people are using.  Also how do you integrate/connect your sub in your systems? (splitter cables, RCA I/O like me, or dedicated subwoofer pre-outs on your equipment).  Good computer audio setups seem to require more planning than simple plug'n'play like home theater in a box stuff. 

I use an SVS SB-1000 in a near-field setup in my home office. I run pre-outs from a Schiit Jotunheim to the sub and then RCA outs from the sub to my amplifier. The SB-1000 has a DSP high pass filter w/ a -12 db slope at 80 hz. which keeps my speakers from running full range which gives them a nice boost in volume.

On 11/28/2017 at 2:10 AM, Benji said:

Also how do you integrate/connect your sub in your systems? (splitter cables, RCA I/O like me, or dedicated subwoofer pre-outs on your equipment).  Good computer audio setups seem to require more planning than simple plug'n'play like home theater in a box stuff. 

Excellent question! I'm literally hooking up my FIRST speaker set up ever. Settled on a set of JBL LSR 308's, wanted to get the 305's but mis-clicked when I placed my order, the 308's were on sale so I figured why not! Still A sub may be helpful in the near future, and I to am curious about what others are using 

People are sleeping on studio monitors as fantastic computer sound.  My JBL LSR305's are wonderful with a simple external DAC and volume control.  Granted I do have an MK subwoofer in the system but this is near field desktop listening and it's amazing. 

21 hours ago, Benji said:

People are sleeping on studio monitors as fantastic computer sound.  My JBL LSR305's are wonderful with a simple external DAC and volume control.  Granted I do have an MK subwoofer in the system but this is near field desktop listening and it's amazing. 

I totally agree! Pacific Rim is the Movie I test headphones with, it's got such great dynamics and a good mix of POWERFUL sounds, the powerful lows of both the machines and the organic heft of the monsters

Non the less, I was really impressed with how the LSR 308's performed! Foot Steps had weight, punches had impact, explosions could have been... more POWERFUL but all in all I could still feel all the little stuff I'm used to and expecting from that film!