IGNORED

Mytek Manhattan II as a streamer

iefbo

I am considering the Manhatten ii as an upgrade for the Brooklyn but not for a while yet, never considered the network card, if its anything like their phono board it should be great - competing with products in a higher price bracket. I doubt if it could outperform say a SOTM sms 200 ultra / Manhatten ii combo, if it did it would be an amazing achievement.

For $7000 or so I would spend  it on a Zenith SE and a Mytek Brooklyn+ Concentrate the funds on the source ( this I think will outperform the Manhatten ii integrated package ) - unless I was planning to upgrade further in the future and the network card was a temporary measure, eg. before the Zenith SE/ Manhatten ii combo.

I have a Manhattan I and a new Manhattan II is on the way.  I am also interested in the network card, but understand that it is not shipping yet.

As I understand it, if properly implemented, these network solutions that are built into a DAC are not in any way a compromise, but should in theory be better than a purpose built music server connected via a digital cable.  

I haven't talked to Mytek about this but have talked to Bricasti at length about the network board that can be put in their M1 DAC as well as the standalone M5 streamer.  Both of these Bricasti products are designed in such a way that they essentially decouple the computer from the DAC.  The computer prepares the signal and sends it to the streamer which is the player.  Some of their customers report that the sound is superior to something like an Aurender.  

For example, Bricasti has worked with Audirvana, which I use, so that you can alter some settings in A+ and it will interface with the M5 or network board.  All Audirvana does is organize and prepare the files, then sends them to the Bricasti.  

Hopefully someone will chime in in regards to Mytek's implementation of their network board.

I would only consider it if it provided reference level playback.  As a DAC, the Manhattan is certainly reference level.  A wonderful piece of gear.

On 26/11/2017 at 11:57 AM, tdimler said:

As a DAC, the Manhattan is certainly reference level.

Certainly agree with that. Mytek equipment persuaded me that Digital can finally compete with analogue in terms of natural reproduction of timbre.

The Manhatten has two isolated and shielded power supplies, the network board will be sharing one of these.

A dedicated streamer such as the zenith has a large three rail transformer 3 regulated supplies, so it's 5 supplies vs 2.

Also how good are the clocks on the board? would it equal or surpass something like SOTM's Sclk -ex. We'll find out soon enough when it's released.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic, I managed to get a used Manhattan II and finally upgraded my Brooklyn a month ago - it's great with a very good headphone amp to boot reducing clutter further.

I'm using it with a 2 box audiolinux server- renderer setup, Roon and Squeezelite.

I'm very curious regarding the network card and wondering if anyone has any experience with it, a couple of internet user posts state that the network interface beats the USB input. There isn't much information.

A couple of dealers I spoke to both said stick to USB and offered me 'the best' USB cables, power conditioner and equipment rack instead.

Anybody got one yet? It would be great to eliminate another box and set of cables.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you with very little info.  Mytek takes the position that it will vary from setup to setup whether the network input bests USB.  I think your degree of network isolation etc will also be important.  I would expect it to sound at least as good as USB.  I suggest you give them a call to discuss or see if someone might send you a network card on a trial basis to purchase if you like it.  I have a Manhattan II and while I think it is superlative DAC, I'm not sure that the network input is designed to the same standard as the rest of the DAC.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:50 AM, LTG2010 said:

Sorry to bring up an old topic, I managed to get a used Manhattan II and finally upgraded my Brooklyn a month ago - it's great with a very good headphone amp to boot reducing clutter further.

I'm using it with a 2 box audiolinux server- renderer setup, Roon and Squeezelite.

I'm very curious regarding the network card and wondering if anyone has any experience with it, a couple of internet user posts state that the network interface beats the USB input. There isn't much information.

A couple of dealers I spoke to both said stick to USB and offered me 'the best' USB cables, power conditioner and equipment rack instead.

Anybody got one yet? It would be great to eliminate another box and set of cables.

I have the Manhattan Dac 2 with the network card and use it exclusively now.  I have a SonicTransporter i7 as a Roon server and I am thrilled with this combo.  The network card is phenomenal in my setup and I prefer it over a Sonore ultraRendu via USB.  I cannot recommend it highly enough for those who are considering an all in one setup.  I had the Liberty and was very impressed with it but wanted the streaming option that the Manhattan 2 offered.  The analog preamp is excellent too if that is of interest.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2019 at 7:43 PM, tdimler said:

I have a Manhattan II and while I think it is superlative DAC, I'm not sure that the network input is designed to the same standard as the rest of the DAC.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:56 AM, Kilauea50 said:

The network card is phenomenal in my setup and I prefer it over a Sonore ultraRendu via USB. 

Well it finally arrived yesterday so not fully burnt in yet, couldn't get a loaner so took the chance, almost convinced myself that I would put it up for sale, as my NUC7 endpoint running audiolinux with the new ravenna - alsa drivers was sounding so good.

Started to think about improving that suspect looking ribbon cable even before I started listening.

Pretty much beats the USB input in every respect. Impressively bigger spacious sound. Less of the annoying brightness. Cleaner clearer and more dynamic. Especially noticed cleaner firmer bass and cymbals crash more realistically.

So the design of the network card is well up to the rest of the dac's standard and the 'one box' solution here doesn't seem to have any disadvantages - those 2 big toroids sitting inside the box doing the job nicely.

2 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Well it finally arrived yesterday so not fully burnt in yet, couldn't get a loaner so took the chance, almost convinced myself that I would put it up for sale, as my NUC7 endpoint running audiolinux with the new ravenna - alsa drivers was sounding so good.

Started to think about improving that suspect looking ribbon cable even before I started listening.

Pretty much beats the USB input in every respect. Impressively bigger spacious sound. Less of the annoying brightness. Cleaner clearer and more dynamic. Especially noticed cleaner firmer bass and cymbals crash more realistically.

So the design of the network card is well up to the rest of the dac's standard and the 'one box' solution here doesn't seem to have any disadvantages - those 2 big toroids sitting inside the box doing the job nicely.

In my system, there is no comparison.  I listened to the USB input immediately after receiving it and was really impressed right out of the box but the network card is just superior in every way.  I couldn't be happier.  Enjoy your new toy ;)