IGNORED

Protecting audio systems from kids

joelha

Lockable cabinets, intelligent decorating to place physical boundaries/obstacles/fragile items proximity to means facing the extensive long term wrath of their mother, hotel room sensor alarms, or as a last resort custom metal bar speaker grills that fit into the slots on your speakers.

With my first kid I kept the system in a locked room. When the second kid was born I needed that room for him, so the CD player was placed on a turntable wall shelf . He did put a silk dome tweeter in... twice. But that was it. But they're both calm, well behaved children.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

32 minutes ago, mansr said:

Electrified, of course.

Every once in a while, Mans, I worry about you.  :)  But you always make me laugh.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

there are little proximity sensors that scream when jostled - I used them to train my dog (when he was younger - he's a Golden and just needs to be told 'no' with a pointing finger, something that doesn't work as well with juvenile monkeys)

I'd put all cables where they can't get to them and use some heavy stands that cannot be tipped over.

Maybe pull all AC plugs out if good, close supervision cannot be provided.

I pushed my tower speakers back into the corners. Facing the wall. It worked. 

A mid century "hi-fi furniture" equipment console worked for the gear. Mechanical catches on the doors were too hard to pull, lids on top too tall and heavy. 

I didn't have any issues until my five year old wiped out a phono cartridge cantilever - she stuck her finger in while I was showing her how the turntable worked. I wasn't mad, I just upgraded :P

Thanks beancounter, and to everyone else who has commented so far.

My challenge is that my speakers are floor-standing and very heavy. So moving them around is not such a great option.

I'll keep taking notes from those of you who have been down this road.

Joel

In my experience, it is the friends of our kids that are the problem.  I had one tweeter poked in.  More recently, we had a couple of Japanese exchange students.  One of them was quite awkward.  Sure enough, when we went to take a posed photo, he knocked one of the speakers.  My oldest kid actually caught it and saved it at the last possible second.  (It would have damaged a lot more than just the speaker.)

For very little kids, physical barriers are your only hope, and it is more to protect the kid than anything else.  When they are old enough, teach them not to trash your stuff, but also don't buy anything you can't, or can't afford to, replace.

Some kids really like to climb.  We live in earthquake country, so bolting stuff to the wall is a good idea anyway, but we did that with all the dressers and stuff.  It is harder to do that to a speaker and not ruin it, but be aware a big heavy speaker could kill a kid who tries to climb it.

Joel - nothing. I don't know how it happens / happened, but woofers are quire visible, DAC is always without cover, PC the same (all a few inches of height from the floor), our own kid ever back was 5 in this situation and all of his friends who came over were under selfcontrol somehow, and of course over the years numerous small kids visited birthday parties.

Coincidentally only two weeks ago I covered the DAC because of too wildly running around 5-6 yo kids and thought it was not safe for them. I also recall one time putting up some barriers but this was not a wise thing because kids climb them.

It looks like living in proximity of water (like your garden is adjacent to a pond) - your kids are not even attracted to it because it is common to them. This won't count for visitors though.

Not much helpful, but since you asked the question ...

Regards,

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)