IGNORED

black Friday deals:

On 11/21/2017 at 12:03 AM, mordante said:

I know one company that actually raised it's prices during this time of the year. IMHO that is applaudable.

A true marketing genius! :(

Personally I try never to buy presents, just because it's winter solstice. Personally I try to avoid spending money on, All Hallows Eve, Valentine's Day, Winter Solstice etc.

Do you really think any cares about your niggardly buying habits? (rhetorical question, no reply required)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/black-friday-deals

Old link I think but small green computer/sonore are running them again. 

And for my fellow Aussie above Lifestylestore in Sydney are running a Black Friday sale for the whole weekend. 

I don't agree with it here either but I guess times they are a changin'

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

35 minutes ago, Robert van Diggele said:

We see the same thing happening in The Netherlands. A lot of Black Friday. Consume and be a debt slave the rest of the year. Das feedom and demockacy.

You do realize that you can opt out and simply not buy anything today.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

On 11/21/2017 at 12:52 AM, sandyk said:

You can bet your crown jewels that they don't lose money on these Black Friday specials where they settle for quantity sales at a smaller profit for each. That suggests that they probably have too  large a  mark up normally, and there is buyer resistance at their normal prices. It's bit like after Xmas sales where retailers make a large chunk of their yearly profits.

Their margins are less, but in fact they actually do lose money on many items, but it's part of the overall business year.  Some merchandise they close out below cost for many reasons (excess inventory, tax reasons (getting close to tax time, which is why they choose this time)....bottom line is many items sell below break-even cot point.

What madness this commercial holiday has become dawned on me 10 minutes ago.  Black Friday is celebrated nearly world wide now.  The expectation of a Wal-Mart related kerfuffle or a 3 AM slapfight between two soft individual unprepared for the rigors of camping a single night outdoors quickly redirected into a social media storm on four continents.  

I for one am glad we Americans could spread this joyous time of year to other nations through out the globe. I think we should drop the dated "holidays" and just call it "shopping season".

I assume we (Americans) started it, right? Or is shopping a global addiction? Are the Khardasians contagious?

[ I was typing this when mansr replied. ]

By far the hardest to comprehend reality in this is the effect the few glimpses a camera phone or news station offered displayed a high level of the better elements of humankind in the 2nd world.  No doubt these places are very aware of the limited spotlight their countries receive through media.  Even accounting for selected footage, it depicted scenes of rich landowners rewarding those who rent their lands. 

We are accustomed to orderly get in and get out as fast as possible scenes.  This was chaotic mobs all screaming hard pressed in towards pallets of tv's.  Celebrating, out of their minds happy to have been there with a chance to bring home a prize.  Pallets with a lone employee standing atop them removing banding unmolested.  With no attempts to disturb him as he quickly moved along the line and signaled when the crowd could begin stripping the perch he just left.  Even handing them backwards to help create a line of retreat with their own.