IGNORED

What is the definition of Audiophile?

DaQi

I still think the definition would need some form of obsession as compared to "average", and not sure accuracy would even need to be in the definition....and I "think" it would include continually strives for?

Would someone be considered an audiophile if they were content with no future plans to ever tweak or upgrade, but just to listen?

2 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I still think the definition would need some form of obsession as compared to "average", and not sure accuracy would even need to be in the definition....and I "think" it would include continually strives for?

Would someone be considered an audiophile if they were content with no future plans to ever tweak or upgrade, but just to listen?

What are these people obsessing over? 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think people should get out of the house and talk to others who consider themselves audiophiles. You may be surprised at how inaccurate and condescending your descriptions are. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I never mentioned you. Perhaps you see yourself in what I said. 

So the "you" in the first quoted post is a specific person? I took it as the "proverbial" you since you quoted no specific person and mentioned no specific person. I think the second quote is you playing games and being disingenuous.

I started googling....think i have it....very vague but to the point.

An audiophile is someone who really gives a damn about the quality of the reproduction of music.

In this definition, the music can be colored, the quality can be whatever is important to the individual, and even "really gives a damn" is relative but suggest more-so than the average.

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What are these people obsessing over? 

obsessing over what the average person would consider "normal".

Obsessing could be something as simple as spending more than an hour a day listening to music.

Obsessing could be buying new gear all the time.

Obsessing could be trying new things....

Just something more than average.

Obsession is relative, and can be anything from "a slight obsession" to a whack job (wink).

now you are going to make me google definition of obsession (grin).

EDITED TO ADD AFTER GOOGLE SEARCH of Definition of obsession..... i am using the synonym of "passion"

2 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I started googling....think i have it....very vague but to the point.

An audiophile is someone who really gives a damn about the quality of the music.

In this definition the music can be colored, the quality can be whatever is important to the individual, and even "really gives a damn" is relative but suggest moreso than the average.

I would correct it to

"An audiophile is someone who really gives a damn about the quality of the SOUND.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

8 minutes ago, semente said:

I would correct it to

"An audiophile is someone who really gives a damn about the quality of the SOUND.

nah, i don't like that choice of words.....

i really like the sound of a train whistle....not sure how that relates to audiophiles.

i modified above to:

An audiophile is someone who really gives a damn about the quality of the reproduction of music.

6 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

nah, i don't like that choice of words.....

i really like the sound of a train whistle....not sure how that relates to audiophiles.

i modified above to:

It's sound alright. Sound of a harpsichord, sound of a suspended cymbal...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

12 minutes ago, semente said:

It's sound alright. Sound of a harpsichord, sound of a suspended cymbal...

The word "Sound" certainly could be a part of the definition, but in the context and ambiguity of your proposed definition.....uh....lacks.....but if you like it, then it's fine (wink)...

YOU>>An audiophile is someone who really gives a damn about the quality of the SOUND.

maybe a compromise...

An audiophile is someone who really gives a damn about the quality of the SOUND of Music Reproduction..

(wink)

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You may have to use the word sound because sound quality is distinct from music quality. I usually consider the first to be a mix of objective and subjective while music quality is always purely subjective. 

I edited above to state...

maybe a compromise...

An audiophile is someone who really gives a damn about the quality of the SOUND of Music Reproduction..

(wink)

But I don't think i can let that stand either....sounds wordy....

Quality of sound doesn't imply music and can mean anything....e.g a train whistle.....and is too vague....

something in between....i will let it stand for at least 5 minutes while i think on it some more (grin).

5 hours ago, Summit said:

Obviously everyone cares about how good a movie or recording sound, even my mom can grumble if a recording has bad sound. To me an audiophile is a person that not only believe sound quality is very important but that also is willing to go the extra mile to get superior sound. The extra mile can be buying special recordings or pay extra for a hifi streaming service, constantly purchase and exchanging audio gear, buys PSUs, tubes or cables that cost more than many peoples stereo or that gets preoccupied how to ground the switch SMPS, won’t listen before the stereo has warmed up or keep them on 24/7, furnishings the living room to get best SQ, talk, read and thinking a lot about how different audio gear sound, use the polarity button almost daily.

Audiophile is also a mindset making us not able to listen to music for long without thinking about the sound quality and how the music would have sounded if only I had this audio gear or a bigger room so I could place my speakers…..

What about someone who cares so much about the "fi" of the music to which he listens that he "rolls his own". I.E. he buys a plethora of good quality recording equipment and goes looking for things to record HIS WAY so as to obtain those aspects of capturing acoustic instruments played in a real space that he believes are crucial to good sound; aspects that few commercial recordings ever capture, or even try to capture. If it isn't on the recording, all the high-end playback equipment in the world isn't going to retrieve it!

George

7 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

What about someone who cares so much about the "fi" of the music to which he listens that he "rolls his own". I.E. he buys a plethora of good quality recording equipment and goes looking for things to record HIS WAY so as to obtain those aspects of capturing acoustic instruments played in a real space that he believes are crucial to good sound

How do you find things to record and get permission to do so?

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

maybe a compromise...

(wink)

+1

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

46 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

What about someone who cares so much about the "fi" of the music to which he listens that he "rolls his own". I.E. he buys a plethora of good quality recording equipment and goes looking for things to record HIS WAY so as to obtain those aspects of capturing acoustic instruments played in a real space that he believes are crucial to good sound; aspects that few commercial recordings ever capture, or even try to capture. If it isn't on the recording, all the high-end playback equipment in the world isn't going to retrieve it!

There's some very, very good news in this regard - the 'miracle' that happens when the playback is of high enough quality is that even the most tawdry of commercial recordings yields great riches - the truth is that microphones are very, very clever devices ^_^, far better than most people grant them, in picking up subtle sounds in the recording space. Whether the individual, or company wanted spatial aspects to be captured or not, or couldn't be bothered, is irrelevant - it is on the recording! Most playback is not capable of revealing these clues - but reach the standard necessary, and it all emerges. One can go crazy in listening for all the 'Easter eggs' that are there ...

So, step 1: regard the recording as having the data there, which you may not be aware of as yet; step2: do whatever is needed so that the information can come forth, in a 'clean' form.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

How do you find things to record and get permission to do so?

That's not as hard as it might sound. I moved from the SF Bay area to the Reno Nevada area about 2 years ago. Not knowing anyone up here, I just started frequenting local watering holes that advertised live jazz (as is my interest). I would then visit these bars on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights (generally the days when live music is featured at such places) and wait around until between sets, and introduce myself to the band or group during their breaks. I would propose that I record their performance sometime in exchange for CDs of that performance. You'd be surprised how many groups are happy to let you record them for a free CD of their performance. Sometime, they will just let you record while they are working at whatever night-spot they are appearing, but often, they'll ask you to record them at one of the musician's homes or some other venue where it is quiet and you don't have to fight the crowd noise like you have to do in a bar or night club environment (on the other hand, the audiophile recording called "Live at the Pawnshop" is recorded with audience noise, and it didn't seem to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for that title!). Another avenue to getting to record is to find a local orchestra or wind ensemble (symphonic band) and approach the leader. If he isn't already being recording, you can sometimes contract with the group to record all their concert performances for an actual fee. The bottom line is that most musicians WANT to be recorded; all you have to do is ask. The worst that can happen is that they say no, and in my experience that rarely occurs unless somebody else beats you to it.   

George