IGNORED

What is the definition of Audiophile?

DaQi

5 minutes ago, DaQi said:

After being accused on another thread of being a non-audiophile it got me thinking about what the definition is of audiophile. So, interested in people's thoughts on how you define audiophile.

An audiophile is someone who loves music and who, by extension, seeks greater musical enjoyment.

A non-audiophile in this context is someone who may enjoy music but places higher priority in other things (ie, lifestyle and community aspects).

Many definitions state something like ... "a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction." ... no mention of music !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

7 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

What about someone who lives the audiophile lifestyle?  I'll use Michael Fremer as my exemplar for this question.  Your definition above suggests a requisite amount of obsession to be a bona fide audiophile.

And to the O.P., there is no "one" definition, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  If you like listening to music, and care what it sounds like, you're an audiophile.

We don't need to complicate it.

In the context of audio, an audiophile is someone who seeks greater musical enjoyment, and a non-audiophile is someone who may enjoy music, but places more value in other things -- I categorize these non-audio items in context as lifestyle and community. Lifestyle are things like features, fitting the decor or look, etc. Community is being a part of web forums, Reddit, etc, where you can participate in the community of audiophillia but not be an actual audiophile.

As an audiophile I may value the community to a certain degree but...if someone were to trade me my participation in the forums for a pair of Magicos, I would have to take the speakers.

43 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

"Audiophile" is a term that I won't ascribe to myself. Why? Because people that self-identify as "audiophiles" seem to gravitate to the subjective side of audio. Just look at the "experimental tweak" thread to get an idea as to what I mean. $10,000 speakers cables, grounding boxes, special fuses, weights, ballbearing platforms, audio switches, excessive decrapifiers, etc.

I prefer the term "audio enthusiast". Be glad you are not an "audiophile"!!

Whether you consider yourself that or not, others who are not into audio and music are going to call you an audiophile, so I suspect you are stuck with the label (as we all are) like it or not!

George

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

GUTB seems to think otherwise.

That doesn't mean that all Audiophiles are tarred with the same brush, or even that all E.Es are anti Audiophile either.

Some E.E.s even use their skills to design and construct their own high performing equipment, and perhaps even their speakers, or at least upgrading their speakers using sound principles and measurements.

At least, the 2 qualified E.E.s that I know personally, do.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

For me, an Audiophile is someone interested in domestic reproduction and/or in audio equipment.

And as in any other pastime, there are many ways to skin a cat.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

18 minutes ago, sandyk said:

An "Audiophile" doesn't necessarily have to spend lots and lots of money, or speak condescendingly to those who spend less.

Some upgrade their equipment using DIY skills, or using information posted by others about well performing equipment that doesn't cost an arm or a leg.

O.T.H. A non Audiophile of the type that most often frequents the General area of the forum , shows a distinct lack of tolerance to those who seek to obtain a higher order of performance from their equipment by means that they do not agree with, whether by "tweaking" or spending money that they are able to afford on  equipment that gives them pleasure.

That's no different to those that may have a stable of high performance cars !

An " Autophile" perhaps ?

"audiophool - Ralf1"

Right on cue,a reply  from one of the least tolerant of all members of the forum, who claims to be a Scientist (?) but almost certainly not from the Electronics or Computer areas.

His source chain is AirPlay into an AppleTV.

Just now, Ralf11 said:

an audiophile is one who shows a distinct lack of tolerance to those who seek to obtain a higher order of performance from their equipment by means of confirmation bias (i.e. audiophools)

O.T.O.H. An intolerant anti Audiophile such as yourself shows a distinct lack of tolerance, and respect,  to those who seek to obtain a higher order of performance from their equipment by way of EXPECTATION  Bias , based on their incomplete technical knowledge of the subject, more often than not usually as a result of what they were taught Decades earlier.

Science doesn't stand still !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

At the risk of looking like I'm trying to emulate @Jud, I think we're all audiophiles.

Lol, how uncivil of you.  

I am not an audiophile, because I do not think you can separate the term from radical subjectivism, the confidence game, TAS/Sterophool, etc. etc.  

I am a "high fidelity-ist" (high fidelist?),  which was more of a thing in the earlier era, and which is coming back slowly mostly through mortality...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, Indydan said:

The word "audiophile" can be pejorative, but it doesn't have to be. I've always thought that an audiophile was someone who loved music, and was willing to spend more money than the average person, to replay music in the best way possible. The audiophile will buy better components to listen to and enjoy his music. He may make unwise or wise purchases when it comes to audio components. This is where subjectivity and preferences play a large role (and produce arguments!).

A non audiophile can love music just as much as an audiophile, but is unwilling to spend money to buy better sounding components, or is happy listening to music in mediocre sound quality.

In french there is a great word: "Mélomane". It means a person who loves and is passionate about music. A mélomane might also be an audiophile, or not. 

An audiophile might also be a mélomane, or not. 

How about the following categories. This is how I have often conceptualized people who listen to music.

1. Pure Mélomane: Music, music and music. Doesn't care how it sounds, as long as he has his music.

2. Mélomane: It is all about the music. Will listen and enjoy music any way possible. Would like to get better sound quality, but if he cannot afford a quality audio system, he will listen to as much music, and with as much passion (this was me when I was a student with a small budget).

3. Mélomane and Audiophile: It is still all about the music. Only buys better audio gear to improve the sound quality of the music he listens to. It is like someone who loves to eat. Eating fine cuisine will enhance his appreciation of his joy of eating. (this is me now). If he cannot eat fine cuisine for a period of time, will eat more basic cuisine and still appreciate it. He still needs and loves to eat. Same thing with music.

4. Audiophile: Someone who appreciates music, but prefers it to be played back in very good sound quality. He is someone who will buy quality gear to listen to music. He likes music, but wants to hear it in good quality. Will feel something is missing if music is played back on a bad sounding system, and might prefer not to hear it. This person likes music, but sometimes forgets the essentials of what music is about, and loses focus by concentrating on the sound reproduction of the music, rather than the music itself.

5. Pure Audiophile: aka gearheads. He is in love with music reproduction and gear. Music is very secondary to this person. Music is bought because of how it sounds, the quality of the recording; not for what it evokes emotionally. This is the group that gives our passion and hobby a bad name.

This is the guy with 20 000$ speakers, a 25 000$ amp, 30 000$ turntable and 10 000$ cartridge, BUT whose whole music collection is the stack of 25 LPs that are "audiophile" gems. Jazz at the pawnshop, CHECK! Dark side of the moon, CHECK! And many others... This is the guy who, if he attends a concert, will complain about room reflections, the stage vibrating, etc. He won't have anything to say about the singer, or the musicians. 

I tend to think Pure Mélomanes and Pure Audiophiles are somewhat rare. Most people are on a continuum that includes a dose of Mélomane and one of Audiophile. 

I don't agree with your assessment.

People can practice audiophilia for a multitude of reasons and those reasons, and their commitment towards the practice, is for most not static but changes throughout their lives.

I also don't think that there is a direct link between an audiophile's buying power and his attitude towards others or the seriousness with which he practices audiophilia.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 hour ago, Indydan said:

In french there is a great word: "Mélomane". It means a person who loves and is passionate about music. A mélomane might also be an audiophile, or not. 

Hence my title tag ... and No. 3 on your list !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2