IGNORED

Time To Dump Tidal? Bluesound / BlueOS Now Has Deezer HiFi

Hi Guys - Bluesound devices running BlueOS version 2.1.4 now have access to lossless streaming from Deezer HiFi. I've been using Deezer for a couple months and believe it's much better than Tidal when it comes to selecting music for me with it's Flow feature. 

Here's the word from Lenbrook / bluesound. 

"Deezer HiFi is Now Available on All BluOS-Enabled Products

For the first time, Deezer HiFi subscribers will be able to enjoy millions of songs in lossless CD-quality at 16-bit FLAC and stream it to any BluOS-enabled wireless speaker, stereo component or home theater for a high-fidelity listening experience."

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

So Deezer is now the 2nd (Tidal being the first) 16/44 streaming service in the United States?  The home page indicates Sonos users as well.  Is there a desktop app (edit:  answer is yes)?

For Roon users, is a better 16/44 streamer mean it is "Time to Dump Tidal/Roon?"

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Deezer originally launched its lossless service called Deezer Elite as an exclusive to Sonos. Now that the exclusive is over, we will start seeing more brands launch integrations. The service has also been renamed Deezer HiFi. 

As far as I know, the HiFi service only works with hardware integrations right now. More research to be done. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Perhaps...I so hooked on EQ/DSP (either Roons or DMG through JRiver) but I am curious I will download the app...I wonder if there is a way to get JRiver to see it through DLNA, is it ASIO enabled, etc. etc.

24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Deezer originally launched its lossless service called Deezer Elite as an exclusive to Sonos. Now that the exclusive is over, we will start seeing more brands launch integrations. The service has also been renamed Deezer HiFi. 

As far as I know, the HiFi service only works with hardware integrations right now. More research to be done. 

The 'exclusive' Deezer Elite CD quality lossless FLAC service was also available to Squeezebox devices, via the ickstream LMS plugin's standard Deezer access, as long as you used the same login for your Sonos Deezer Elite subscription.

Edit:

The Deezer and Sonos 16-Bit / 44.1 kHz quality service 30 day free trial still appears to be available, but has be renamed to HiFi

https://www.deezer.com/us/offers/?referer=sonos

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Based on some quick simple testing the desktop app appears to be bit perfect as well.

Unless I am making a mistake, I can only sign up to the 9.99 a month "premium+" (which I assume is 320) and not the "Hi Fi" service.

The desktop app is very very simple - I don't see any user control or indication of what service you are getting - the about simply takes you to your browswer and give you their simple plan management on the web site, which again does not indicate how I can upgrade to the "Hi Fi" service.

Perhaps it is working for you because you already have a device like Bluesound??

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Based on some quick simple testing the desktop app appears to be bit perfect as well.

Thanks for sharing the info about the new desktop app.  I'll give it a few months to see how I like it.

Using Windows 10, there does not appear to be any simple way to get bit perfect play to work.  The volume mixer clearly shows that my system sounds are still active, but these can be muted or turned down/off in the volume mixer.  I don't see anything in the desktop interface for advanced audio settings, but I am not familiar with Deezer except for a short test a few months ago.  If there is something obvious that I'm overlooking, please pass it along.  

So far just playing artist mixes.  I have a 1 gig symmetrical fiber connection to my home, but I've already had a song glitch on me.  It was probably just that particular song, as I skipped it and things were right again.  It's beta, so I can live with some issues as long as the developers are quick to quash the most egregious annoyances.

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - Bluesound devices running BlueOS version 2.1.4 now have access to lossless streaming from Deezer HiFi. I've been using Deezer for a couple months and believe it's much better than Tidal when it comes to selecting music for me with it's Flow feature. 

Here's the word from Lenbrook / bluesound. 

"Deezer HiFi is Now Available on All BluOS-Enabled Products

For the first time, Deezer HiFi subscribers will be able to enjoy millions of songs in lossless CD-quality at 16-bit FLAC and stream it to any BluOS-enabled wireless speaker, stereo component or home theater for a high-fidelity listening experience."

So your recommendation is based on what it recommends you listen to?

Pretty strong words in your thread title. 

David

I had to cancel.  I need a library where if I add a single track, the artist and the album the track is from are added to my library.  I add full albums to my library, but even if I only like one or two tracks from an album, the album should appear in my library with only those tracks shown.  I don't want to have to maintain a separate list of favorite songs, albums, and artists.  So, similar to Tidal, it is a service that only works well if you basically already have a good idea of exactly what you want to play.  It is not shuffle or random discovery friendly.  That said, I was still going to give it a few months, but when I go to play an album, I discover that Deezer has decided to use cross-fade for their solution to gapless playback.  I can't even listen to many classical albums or even the Beatles "Abbey Road" side B without distracting pauses between tracks that are supposed to be continuous.

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 3.40.01 PM.png

There it is - thanks!.  I don't see how it is bit perfect - everything will have to be routed through OS sound libraries unless I am mistaken.

I will experiment a bit now that I have a bit of time...

43 minutes ago, blownsi said:

Since this is the same cost as Tidal Hifi, what's the advantage of Deezer?

Deezer HiFi (CD Quality) has a deal going until 12/31/2017.  You get a 30 day free trial, then 12 months at $14.99 after which it's $19.99 a month.  The deal is available here

https://www.deezer.com/us/offers/?referer=sonos

It's unclear whether this deal is restricted to Sonos users, I haven't tried signing up yet.  

The new Deezer desktop app does support the CD Quality Hifi offering.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 hours ago, blownsi said:

Since this is the same cost as Tidal Hifi, what's the advantage of Deezer?

It mostly another options. Options are good. 

It has a very different user interface, on the desktop and mobile, from Tidal. Music recommendations have been very good so far with Deezer.

I did like the idea of the album release date prominently displayed with Deezer.  There were several options for the same albums for many artists, and having the release date associated with them could make it easier to identify a generally preferred version over another. 

Though, the release dates are not always clear.   The most recently remastered Led Zeppelin deluxe edition albums all show a release date of 1969 or 1970.  

It would be interesting to see if the infamous reversed channels can be identified with some of the Zeppelin releases available on Deezer.