IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Turns 10 Today!

25 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I try not to.  Actually, my hearing is still good, it's my tinnitus that has gotten worse.  :/

Hi Alex,

The same over here, thanks some blood pressure medication.  Magnesium supplements of good absorption help.

Try listening to music to the rhythm of tinnitus. That's what I do:D

Best, 

Roch

I have been following this website since early 2009 when I first started dabbling in a computer based music server. The site has definitely  progressed more than I have since I still have the same server!  Congrats Chris, it's been fun tuning in every week to this site to see what the latest reviews and technology has to offer.

Big announcement? My guess is an online store with all the companies you have great history with.

Samsung 2TB SSD external drive > Oppo 205 USB in > McIntosh C45 > Proceed AMP5 > Mirage HDT Speakers > Velodyne HGS15 Sub // Nordost Blue Heaven Cables, PS Audio Quintet, OWC 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

Funny, I still have your very first business card Chris--from our first meeting in the Hovland Company suite at CES Las Vegas, January 2008.  We were showing the prototype of an ahead-of-its-time/ahead of the tech CD data player/DAC/music server, with Ethernet input and credit-card-size Linux module.  It never made it into production, but you sure enjoyed asking questions about it.  John Swenson did not attend with us that year but the digital parts of the piece were all him.

Flash forward many years and I could not be happier to have found community here at CA.  Yes this place and its populace have been very good for our business, but for much longer I've enjoyed just being another enthusiastic audiophool exchanging ideas, tweaks, and music with everyone.

So I raise a mouse to the next decade of The Computer Audiophile!  Who knows what this fascinating and musically rewarding hobby will look like in another 10 years.

--Alex C.

Hi Alex - Yes! That's why I included an extended bullet point above, talking about the Hovland product and mentioning you :~)

• January 18, 2008 - My current favorite products [from CES] are ones from Resolution Audio and Hovland. At the high end is the Hovland unit. This unit was still a prototype, but after talking to Alex Crespi, Vice President at Hovland, they are closer to a release date. As I said previously, Hovland will get everything correct before releasing the product. Currently the Hovland unit is on track to be one of the top items in this category. It will pull content from your computer running iTunes. This of course leaves the computing choices up to you. Hovland is not a computer manufacturer or software firm. They made the smart choice to leave that stuff up to Apple and others. This unit will also have a very nice DAC that has been refined meticulously. If I remember correctly Hovland also has quite a bit of memory in the unit and plans to offer upgrades via the Internet. Of course the unit will support some form of meta data, album art etc... from the Internet. Along with a bunch of other features the unit looks marvelous and has rock solid build quality. I can't wait for the final product to be released.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, Congrats!  My first encounter with you and CA was at the CA Symposium at Fantasy Studios in the Summer of 2009, where I also met the sponsors Tim Marutani and Meier Shadi who started to answer the question, how to digitize my record and tape collection!  Your generosity of time and knowledge has been of immeasurable help over the years.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Hindsight is a curious thing.  When CA premiered, looking back it seemed "obvious" that digital audio would be a huge part of everyone's listening future.  There was Napster and some awareness of mp3 having different bitrates that supposedly affected audio quality.  Yet nobody was digging into the details of what makes digital music sound engaging on a great playback system.  I think history will reveal that Chris was a significant part of spearheading this audiophile era. 

I remember the post you made all those years ago on Head-Fi asking if people would be interested in a forum dedicated to computer audio. At the time I think it was very early days and you were trying to get a sense of how much interest (if any) there really was out there in audio communities.

Thanks Chris for all your hard work and setting the foundation for us to create the community we have today.

4 minutes ago, poop said:

I remember the post you made all those years ago on Head-Fi asking if people would be interested in a forum dedicated to computer audio. At the time I think it was very early days and you were trying to get a sense of how much interest (if any) there really was out there in audio communities.

Thanks Chris for all your hard work and setting the foundation for us to create the community we have today.

Could that have been hydrogen audio? Well that lot haven’t discovered anything remarkable other than to bicker about this bit or that.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

19 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Alex - Yes! That's why I included an extended bullet point above, talking about the Hovland product and mentioning you :~)

Oh wow, I overlooked that bit from your wayback machine! Thanks much. Man how time flies. 9_9

As cool-- and nearly impossible for the time--as what that product was specified to be able to do, the heart of it was a world-class NOS DAC, based on a quad of PCM1704 with a discrete opamp JFET output stage.

My dear friend and Hovland industrial designer/president Jeffrey Tonkin still runs that beautiful pre/production unit that you saw back in 2008. I've yet to hear a more engaging PCM DAC (though we are working on upgrading the USB>I2S input board to a Sonore/Audiobyte for better clocking and higher input rates).

All things considered, in digital years, that's quite a long time.  You've always done an exemplary job of establishing a consistent standard of excellence in reviewing products both technically and musically -- ensuring the central focus is always on the enjoyment we all take in the resulting playback.  And knowing that you drink your own Kool-Aid, by revealing your own reference system, certainly makes us all feel like you're not shilling for some manufacturer.  Your C.A.S.H. list, on review, seems to maintain a consistent level of performance and price-performance for anyone eager to get the most for their currency.

Great work and hope for many more decades of your time and efforts.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates