IGNORED

Neil Young Archives On New Streaming Service

On 11/30/2017 at 11:33 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

One thing I struggle with is the sentence, "Audio streaming will be directly from the original record masters to web browsers." Using a web browser for high end playback is the worst. Audio is usually routed through the OS mixer and there are little to no options. Plus, there is no remote control for sitting and listening, you must be at your computer. 

Web browser listening is great for the times while I'm working at my computer, but the need for high resolution is usually diminished during these times. 

Anyway, just a thought.

At its current state of development, Web Audio don't have sample rate matching; hence the output audio is determined by the OS (as Chris has pointed out) and DAC support. Development, however, is progressing so sample rate matching in Web Audio protocols won't be too long away. There are other matters relating to web audio, e.g. stuttering on initiating some PC apps. On the other hand, it has made native resolution audio more broadly accessible to music consumers, e.g., casting 96.24 audio to speakers with the $35 Chromecast Audio. 

Both OraStream and BRIO desktop apps implement sample rate matching. Both apps also interface to networked players, such as, DLNA/UPnP renderers, SONOS, Chromecast and BluOS player devices. They would be available when the service requires them. 

26 minutes ago, mansr said:

What OS and browser are you using?

No, it was a joke: I was referring to "streaming" directly from the files on my server.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I cannot get to Master quality in NYA on both Firefox or Opera browsers.. The red wheel on startup keeps turning forever, though monitoring in task manager shows normal memory cashing and net traffic 5-6 mbps... Turning back to 320 can fix the issue and music plays finally. I'm actually on wi-fi internet (12 mbps) which is very stable, don't know if this could be an issue. Deezer lossless hi-fi works ok..   

10 hours ago, OraStream said:

Both OraStream and BRIO desktop apps implement sample rate matching. Both apps also interface to networked players, such as, DLNA/UPnP renderers, SONOS, Chromecast and BluOS player devices. They would be available when the service requires them. 

Hi OraStream,

When you say 'when the service requires them' do you mean when NYA approves support with these desktop apps?

10 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi, when you say 'when the service requires them' do you mean when NYA approves support with these desktop apps?

We provide adaptive audio streaming and web/native audio player implementations (OraStream's tech) for desktop and mobile platforms. While we also develop front-end client apps, services don't necessarily need to use them as is with the Neil Young Archives.        

13 minutes ago, OraStream said:

services don't necessarily need to use them as is with the Neil Young Archives.        

Thanks for clarifying. For bit perfect playback (with sample rate matching) perhaps it should be looked at for NYA?

Soon?

I finally got around to loading Firefox on my Dell XPS 15 9550 laptop with Core i7 6700 and 32Gb of RAM. I had the Chord Mojo connected to the laptop and was listening to 24/192 files via Empire Ears Zeus Custom IEMs. Even with this powerful a setup I experienced occasional dropouts. The fun part was demoing/listening to NY albums that I hadn’t heard before and, just in general, browsing the catalog. BTW, I found his latest album too compressed for my taste but that’s a whole other discussion. Anyway, I would have preferred not having to install and use another web browser, and also not being chained to my laptop. I agree that having something like jriver integrated in would be a step up (and, as I recall, the PonoWorld Player was a pretty close facsimile of jriver so I don’t see why this couldn’t eventually be an option). Of course, an option for bypassing a PC or laptop would be even better.

At the end of the day, I am(like many here on the forum) a bit of a dinosaur as I already have my favorite NY recordings on CD rips and hi res downloads, so using a NY streaming service is kind of a fun but nonessential novelty for me. 

While im game to see what else Orastream has up their sleeves going forward, it would take a much larger music database than “NY and friends” to get me to reach for my credit card.

7 hours ago, esimms86 said:

Even with this powerful a setup I experienced occasional dropouts.

It doesn't matter how much CPU power you throw at it. The problem is the way Firefox schedules its activities. By default, all tabs share a single process, so rendering a large page in another tab easily makes audio stutter. The number of processes can be increased by opening the about:config page and increasing the value of the dom.ipc.processCount setting. It seems to help with the stuttering here. Bear in mind that each process adds at least few hundred MB of memory usage, so don't go too crazy.

10 hours ago, OraStream said:

Thanks - please provide via customer feedback to the Archives.  Kind regards.

I just sent this "Question for the Archivist":

Thank you for this great resource. Is there any plan to incorporate a desktop app from OraStream to enable bit perfect playback (with sample rate matching)? 

I don't mind if people copy my message verbatim9_9. This would be a big step forward for the archives.

Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit--M2TECH hiFace USB-S/PDIF interface-->coaxial output cable-->

MacBook Pro--Sierra--optical output cable-->

Raspberry Pi 2--Pixel--USB output cable-->

Simaudio MOON 100D DAC (USB, coaxial and optical connections in use)--Yamaha RX-V640 receiver

--Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 (with NOS Raytheon 5670)--used as bypassable vacuum tube preamp stage--Topping TP60 stereo power amplifier--one pi bass reflex speakers--homebuilt--plans from Wayne at pispeakers.com

--QSC model 5.1 stereo power amplifier--ACI Rage 12" subwoofer in homebuilt sealed 2 ft^3 enclosure

--Denon AH-A100 headphones

4 hours ago, mansr said:

It doesn't matter how much CPU power you throw at it. The problem is the way Firefox schedules its activities. By default, all tabs share a single process, so rendering a large page in another tab easily makes audio stutter. The number of processes can be increased by opening the about:config page and increasing the value of the dom.ipc.processCount setting. It seems to help with the stuttering here. Bear in mind that each process adds at least few hundred MB of memory usage, so don't go too crazy.

You can also get at this from an Options page with friendly explanations and a menu, as explained on this Firefox Support page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/performance-settings?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

2017-08-12-05-27-49-8a5454.png

I watched dom.ipc.processCount while I made changes to this menu. It defaults to "1" unless you enable hardware acceleration when it will defaults to "4". The menu offers a maximum of "7". I'd be interested to hear if "4" is enough for those experiencing stuttering and dropouts.

My results haven't been too bad, but I will also follow @old_bassist's example and send in a request for an app.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

7 minutes ago, left channel said:

You can also get at this from an Options page with friendly explanations and a menu, as explained on this Firefox Support page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/performance-settings?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

2017-08-12-05-27-49-8a5454.png

Oh, they finally made it visible. I'd missed that.

7 minutes ago, left channel said:

I watched dom.ipc.processCount while I made changes to this menu. It defaults to "1" unless you enable hardware acceleration when it will defaults to "4". The menu offers a maximum of "7". I'd be interested to hear if "4" is enough for those experiencing stuttering and dropouts.

On my system it defaults to 1 regardless of the hw acceleration setting. Increasing it to 4 helps a lot.

7 hours ago, mansr said:

Thanks @mansr. I assumed as much, which is why I listed the specs for my laptop. Dropouts obviously do not constitute music heard the way the artist intended. 

Do the same problems exist for Mac users with Safari?

On 05/12/2017 at 8:01 PM, mansr said:

A new player build has been deployed to the NY Archives. It uses multi source nodes to schedule audio buffering - helps reduce audio stutter. Also enables HTTP fetch to benefit users on supported browser (Chrome, Safari, Opera) with streaming delivery via CDN and higher audio (bitrate) quality.

2 minutes ago, OraStream said:

A new player build has been deployed to the NY Archives. It uses multi source nodes to schedule audio buffering - helps reduce audio stutter. Also enables HTTP fetch to benefit users on supported browsers (Chrome, Safari, Opera) with streaming delivery via CDN and higher audio (bitrate) quality.

Have you considered API-based services, to incent support by Roon, JRiver, etc?

5 minutes ago, OraStream said:

A new player build has been deployed to the NY Archives. It uses multi source nodes to schedule audio buffering - helps reduce audio stutter. Also enables HTTP fetch to benefit users on supported browser (Chrome, Safari, Opera) with streaming delivery via CDN and higher audio (bitrate) quality.

I'll give it a try.

Is there any good reason https isn't supported?

Just now, #Yoda# said:

As far as I know, OraStream is not responsible for the front end. You should ask Phil Baker from NYA. 

Neither the frontend nor the backend (which uses an orastream domain) uses https. It's possible that the backend supports it, of course, and it's just not being used.