IGNORED

Dirac VST crashes all the time.. What to do?

Hello

Curious if there is any workaround.. 

I worked for few months with the VST, but then it started to crash. I am working with JRiver, in the other zone without Dirac things look stable.

I then switched to JRiver 64-bit. Half a day with Dirac VST 64-bit went smooth, however later on JRiver crashes again

For statistics, I have another setup with another DAC and another driver (if that's matter) - same there.. 

I insist on working with the VST due to clip protection mechanism in JRiver.

And we're talking about 730 USD piece of software!!

Hello michael123,

the current version of Dirac Live with plugins is a beta... I understand your disappointment, unfortunately quirks and issues don't come unexpected.

In general anyhow a new version of Dirac Live was expected Q4 2017 but in the meantime we have found a way to improve the algorithm. This required it to be completely rewritten, as a result it is now going to be released Q1 2018.

CES 2018 attendees should be able to experience a pre-release demo of the updated Dirac Live platform at Dirac Research’s Westgate Hotel Suite #630 January 9-12

There will be a number of other improvements in addition to the algorithm itself and we are confident that current users will appreciate that it will be a free update.

:) Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

I can't use it.

You know I reported crashes from the start.

I mean if I play 4 albums and on the fifth it crashing Jriver, I prefer to disable it

Once I could play for weeks, but I don't know what happened, maybe recent Windows updates

Do you test it with Jriver, and now there is a 64-bit version?

I saw in debugger there is some C++ exception thrown, probably in some unexpected place so Jriver doesn't handle it properly.

Free upgrade or not, I paid 720$ and I pay for Jriver annually..

Maybe even some workaround will be appreciated

I'm sincerely sorry but all development efforts are targeted at releasing the new version as soon as possible,

as you will see it's completely different from the current one to which no developers are presently assigned as the new version was originally planned for release during this quarter.

It's possible that the problem is caused by recent Windows updates or compatibility issues with the new JRiver as you mention but we have to wait for the new version.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Vst plugin is beta so you can not expect the full support.  Nevertheless I had the same problem.  In my case the vst plugin was 32-bit and didnt work with 64-bit Jriver.  When I switched back to Jriver 32-bit everything was fine again. So I guess we need a 64-bit plugin to make it work.

Macmini/ Jriver MC26 - Audiofire 12 - MSB-MVC-1 volume control - Cinepro 2k6 amp - Geddes Abbey speakers plus 4 x 10" Aurasound subs

1 hour ago, dziemian said:

Vst plugin is beta so you can not expect the full support.  Nevertheless I had the same problem.  In my case the vst plugin was 32-bit and didnt work with 64-bit Jriver.  When I switched back to Jriver 32-bit everything was fine again. So I guess we need a 64-bit plugin to make it work.

The DL VST plug-ins work fine for me with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of JRiver....................once they load.  In both cases, booting up JRiver fails 2-3 times when the VST plug-in is loaded.  Presumably, it requires some sort of internet verification from DL.  When it finally loads, all's well.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Most crashes indeed happen when I click on 'Play' in JRiver

But there were situations when just before I was able to play few albums. Or even more.

It for sure did not crash in the middle of playback. Always happen in album boundaries

But I don't know what's wrong there. I have no antivirus on my Audio PC, and free Internet connection exists..

What's strange is that I have a second setup, and situation there is very similar. Few days it could work, the next day - disaster, crashing JRiver all the time

JRiver23x64+VST64 crashes on me as well, but the improvement over DAP is well worth the trouble.

I have no clue what the issue is, but when I first wake up my computer I'll tread carefully.  Maybe I'll hit ^D and turn off the plugin, close that dialog, play a track for 1sec, hit stop, wait 2sec, ^D again, enable the plugin, close the dialog.  If I get that far w/o a crash then it's certain to work.  If not, I try again and it'll work on the 2nd or 3rd try.

yeah I'm seriously looking forward to Flavio's release

On 18/11/2017 at 6:17 PM, flak said:

I'm sincerely sorry but all development efforts are targeted at releasing the new version as soon as possible,

as you will see it's completely different from the current one to which no developers are presently assigned as the new version was originally planned for release during this quarter.

Hi, just wondering.... will the new version be a free update for current users?

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

On 11/25/2017 at 5:56 PM, occamsrazor said:

Hi, just wondering.... will the new version be a free update for current users?

Yes, it will be a free upgrade for all current users no matter how old the license is :)

Flavio

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I am confused after last reply form Dirac. Do you have a separate 64bit VST Dirac's plugin for 64bit Jriver or there is  32bit plugin only for both versions?  I am using both 32bit plugin and Jriver now as this 32bit plugin didnt work with 64bit Jriver and I had to reinstall the player. 

Macmini/ Jriver MC26 - Audiofire 12 - MSB-MVC-1 volume control - Cinepro 2k6 amp - Geddes Abbey speakers plus 4 x 10" Aurasound subs

36 minutes ago, dziemian said:

Hi guys, I am confused after last reply form Dirac. Do you have a separate 64bit VST Dirac's plugin for 64bit Jriver or there is  32bit plugin only for both versions?  I am using both 32bit plugin and Jriver now as this 32bit plugin didnt work with 64bit Jriver and I had to reinstall the player. 

You should have 64-bit VST under "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\Dirac"

[ the issue for me is that it is crashing for me either.. so I don't use Dirac more or less since I wrote this post, curiously waiting for he next release in 6-8 weeks ]

In 6-8 weeks you will get a new Dirac Live, you would have to wait more for plugins. This is what I got from Dirac yesterday asking for 64bit plugin. 

Hello,

no other version of the current beta plugins because they are going to be replaced by the new ones in a 64 bit version as you desire.

The new generation of Dirac Live is expected during Q1 and plugins will follow in Q2.

Best regards

10 hours ago, michael123 said:

You should have 64-bit VST under "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\Dirac"

[ the issue for me is that it is crashing for me either.. so I don't use Dirac more or less since I wrote this post, curiously waiting for he next release in 6-8 weeks ]

Are you sure about 64bit? Flak from Dirac replied today in PM here that there is only one beta plugin. He was not sure whether 32/64 bit. If he follows this thread it would be nice to know.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:54 PM, Kal Rubinson said:

There is only one Dirac Studio app but it generates the plugins.  I have some that run (fairly well but not solid) on 64bit JRMC and some that do not run at all.  I cannot tell them apart except for that parameter.

That's correct :)

beta Dirac Studio creates both 32 and 64 bit plugins, this is what instructions say:

"By default the PC VST plugins will automatically be installed under:

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\Dirac (64 bit)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\Vstplugins\Dirac (32 bit)"