IGNORED

LUMIN D2 - The New Kid on the block to beat

7 minutes ago, randyhat said:

I wonder if the D1 with an aftermarket external PS (like the SBooster) sounds better than the D2 with it's internal PS?

Yes, tired it my after market supply.  PS the D1 sounds so much better than a OPPO 205. My 205 went back 2 days ago. I kept the 203 for HT use.  Heck my Marantz sounds better than the 205.

The Truth Is Out There

3 minutes ago, mav52 said:

Yes, tired it my after market supply.  PS the D1 sounds so much better than a OPPO 205. My 205 went back 2 days ago. I kept the 203 for HT use.  Heck my Marantz sounds better than the 205.

can you re-write this in english?

You are responding to if the D1 w/sbooster would sound better than the D2?  Maybe you are mixing up your threads?

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

can you re-write this in english?

You are responding to if the D1 w/sbooster would sound better than the D2?  Maybe you are mixing up your threads?

Sorry typing on a iphone while the wife is driving is not an easy task.  I have  A1 and a D1 and the D2 is supposed to be a little better than a D1 according to reports.   But I'm using my A1 vs D1 as a comparisons.  Using a sbooster on the D1 (FYI I also have a Ken Lau Signature Edition Power Supply) takes the D1 to a whole different level , the external power supply made the D1 sound pretty close to the A1 which by itself comes with an external PSU.  Of course I don't have a D2 since they just came out and I see NO need to replace my D1 as I like the idea of using an external PSU, like my Ken Lau or a Sbooster.   

I had a sbooster Ken Lau Signature Edition PSU

The Truth Is Out There

• 6 months later...
On 11/17/2017 at 10:35 PM, One and a half said:

On the question of galvanic isolation, the main input here is over Ethernet, so long as you don't use shielded Ethernet cables, it's all good.

I'm still new at this.

Are you saying that it's better not to use shielded Ethernet cables?

21 minutes ago, Route 66 said:

I'm still new at this.

Are you saying that it's better not to use shielded Ethernet cables?

Ethernet has galvanic isolation by design when using non shielded cables.

A shielded cable will create a physical connection between devices and could possible carry noise.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

14 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Ethernet has galvanic isolation by design when using non shielded cables.

A shielded cable will create a physical connection between devices and could possible carry noise.

Thanks!

Does that mean that there's no need to invest in more expensive Ethernet cables?

2 hours ago, Route 66 said:

Thanks!

Does that mean that there's no need to invest in more expensive Ethernet cables?

Correct.  Unless you have allot of disposable income with nothing useful to invest it in.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

9 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Correct.  Unless you have allot of disposable income with nothing useful to invest it in.

LOL, I wish I had that problem. 

In looking at Ethernet cables online, I see that they come in different Cats or categories. Which type would be best for streaming music?

Sorry OP, for hijacking your thread. 

42 minutes ago, Route 66 said:

LOL, I wish I had that problem. 

In looking at Ethernet cables online, I see that they come in different Cats or categories. Which type would be best for streaming music?

Sorry OP, for hijacking your thread. 

Cat 6A is a good very affordable choice.