IGNORED

MAC USERS

Anyone of you audiophiles find problems installing and then using your music your music apps ?

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

1 minute ago, freesteve said:

Anyone of you audiophiles find problems installing and then using your music your music apps ?

Not at all. Be more specific please.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Just wanted to make sure before I went for it, thanks...

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

I agree with miguelito, that you need to be more specific about problems. Having used Macs since the late 80s, and using music playing software from the earliest days (SoundJam, for example), I guess that I have been through many ups and downs. Yes, there are quirks about various software, and some from the version of OS that is installed. However, I still find that using a Mac for music replay has been great over all. Yes, there are solutions that are "neater", such as the Aurender, Melco, Auralic and Naim, but I guess I like the flexibility of using various software for playback (available on the Mac).

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

This post:

...suggests that the exclusive mode issues present in Sierra are resolved in High Sierra.  But based on a quick search through the Software forum here (the OP could do this search as well :)), there are enough issues that I would wait.  In fact, I never update to a later version of OS until it's one version back from the current version.  But I'm stuck on El Capitan because of the known USB audio Integer/Exclusive mode problems with Sierra.  I won't update to High Sierra until the next version after High Sierra is released.

Thanks for everyone inputing...  

6 hours ago, freesteve said:

I'm scared to do so. In fact, I haven't upgraded my Mac OS since El Capitan (v.10.11.6). I use the excellent Logitech Squeezebox Touch to stream music from my home office Mac to my audio system in the living room. The Logitech Media Server software broke once before when I upgraded the OS and it took months for them to fix it. Now, Logitech doesn't support the Media Server anymore at all and if the latest OS breaks it, I'm screwed! 

George

8 hours ago, freesteve said:

Just wanted to make sure before I went for it, thanks...

Couple of players I can speak about:

Roon - flawless

Audirvana, HQPlayer - flawless but have not used them extensively lately - also I mean HQPlayer to NAA as a Roon conduit

JRiver MC - Ugly as shit but powerful. If you like an old Java look you will love MC

But... Who needs anything but Roon?!

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

High Sierra is a buggy nightmare but not for iTunes

Oh puhleeze..

system pics

13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

There are dozens of posts from people having the same problems as me.

Apple has referred some of the buggy issues to engineering.

So I think it is a pretty stupid comment, unless he meant he hates iTunes.

Wow. You don't know how this works, do you?

For 99.999% of the Mac users out there, High Sierra works perfectly. Then you have that extremely small percentage of users that have one or more problems. Sometimes there are real bugs with the system software. Sometimes there are bugs within third-party software. Sometimes there are problems unique to their systems. The people with problems are probably 500 to 1000 times more vocal than those with no problems. So the pervasiveness of problems is usually vastly overestimated.

I am well aware of how they hire and pay the support people - that can be part of the problem: fan boyz with no technical background working at home for low to mid pay.

Your 99.999% figure is the height of stupidity.

The fact remains that this is the most bug-ridden "upgrade" in years.  And it was rushed out to look iphoney, not because it provides much of a real upgrade.  As a customer I am unhappy; as a stockholder I am appalled. 

I admit its perhaps not the slickest update, and I'd like to see spinning drive APFS support, but I've had no real "issues". YMMV! Nasty bugs usually get taken care of pretty quickly: there's been two updates already, so Apple are fixing things.

Best advise is to make sure you have several solid backups before upgrading. At least a time machine image for the Mac, plus the stuff you really don't want to lose archived in various other places. Upgrade, test it out, if anything is a show stopper, restore back - which is a time consuming PITA, but better than losing functionality or worse, your files. 

As I posted above, apparently Apple has started to push out 10.13 High Sierra, and if thats the case, I'd prefer to upgrade on my terms and not theirs. If you definitely don't want to upgrade, turn off automatic updates in the App Store preference pane.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

I was told by an Apple support geek to upgrade to fix my Calendar problems.  That killed my outboard aux. display and crippled Finder search (Fusion drive, 3 TB).

They are on 10.13.2 now with more 'fixes' to come.

A bad decision.

You can fix all your problems with Windows!  :)

mQa is dead!